Code of Conduct

Default L'Occitane Neroli - Confusion reigns

I was perusing the reviews for L'Occitane L'Oranger Neroli EdP and saw all the lavious praise. Now, I went into their store here in Chicago to try it out ,and they said it hasn't come out yet and will come out in late '07?!?!?! Further, they gave me a sample (their samples are of the moist towelette variety which is tacky IMHO for niche) of L'Occitane Neroli EdP (no "L'Oranger" on the packet).

My question is where is L'Oranger Neroli EdP available? Did I miss the boat on this one? And how will it differ from new "version" coming out? Can someone fill me in?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: L'Occitane Neroli - Confusion reigns

You're not the only one confused manicboy. Read my previous post about the very same question:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=198762

What did the sample (towelette) smell like? Would you describe it as a rich, thick neroli scent - with really strong longevity?

I have had correspondance with L'Occitane customer service about this. The old formulation Neroli EDP is discontinued. The new formulation one is not yet released.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I have had correspondance with L'Occitane customer service about this. The old formulation Neroli EDP is discontinued. The new formulation one is not yet released.
    That confirms my assumption. Thanks hirch.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Thanks hirch!

any news of the braniac who decided this?
    yet another scent that we lost...

I LOVED their Neroli, too -- what a bummer!

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    What did the sample (towelette) smell like? Would you describe it as a rich, thick neroli scent - with really strong longevity?
    Yes and yes. I think this may be the same formulation as the original. It is very heady, rich and long lasting. Powerful Neroli. This is coming from a towelette too. Can't wait for this one.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Yes and yes. I think this may be the same formulation as the original. It is very heady, rich and long lasting. Powerful Neroli. This is coming from a towelette too. Can't wait for this one.
    Well good. Maybe it won't be exactly the same as the old Neroli but a pretty good reformulation. If it's 3/4 as good as the original, it should be wonderful. The original (which I happen to own) is a neroli scent in a class all by itself.

This comment might be meaningless, but I just noticed that on Basenotes the new Neroli is gendered female, not unisex like the old one was. To me that indicates a probable reformulation, since changes in marketing decisions like that usually tend to expand, rather than narrow, the market. Don't they?

Basenotes Institution

I noticed that the new Neroli (as well as the three other Eau de Parfums) are for sale now on the L'Occitane website: http://usa.loccitane.com

Anybody else smell the 'new' Neroli at the stores and care to share comparisons to the original Neroli?

How do either of the formulations compare to Fleur du Male, another neroli scent?

Planning to hit the mall tomorrow- will report back!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    How do either of the formulations compare to Fleur du Male, another neroli scent?
    I have not smelled the new Neroli - however I was at the mall (months ago) with two non-fragrance-driven friends and family members and they both smelled the original Neroli by L'Occitane and Fleur de Male (about half an hour apart) and they both thought they were identical. Having said that - I could tell the difference. But to most people I think they're going to smell very similar.

However the L'Occitane drydown, complexity and longevity are heads and shoulders above the FdM. But (alas) the L'O is discontinued and the FdM is not.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th October 2007 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    However the L'Occitane drydown, complexity and longevity are heads and shoulders above the FdM. But (alas) the L'O is discontinued and the FdM is not.
    The longevity is heads and shoulders above FdM? That must be some scent, because FdM lasts for ages on me. Thanks for following up with the info.

I have been wearing the discontinued L'Occitane Neroli EDP on and off for the past 2 months..... I can't seem to detect a lot of neroli/orange blossom in it after the first 5 minutes, and its spicy woody character comes off as very harsh, while in very cool weather it can be comforting at times. Does anyone know what are the notes? I detect a lot of cedar or other woods, spices, maybe carnation, all overlaying what neroli note there is, with some sweet vanilla and/or amber in the drydown.

I am more happy wearing Castile, Neroli Sauvage or C&S Neroli.
    Last edited by zztopp; 21st October 2007 at 08:41 PM.
    -

I tested the new Neroli at Duty Free, today, and quite like it. It doesn't smell as dark or dense as the original formulation but, somehow, it appeals more to me (the original Neroli was lacking something, IMHO). As for longevity and sillage, I noticed it for at least 5 hours on my hand but washed it a couple of times, so I can't confirm if its full potential. I didn't get that 'something's missing' sensation when wearing it, which is encouraging.

I'll probably give this another testing later this week.
    --------------------------------------
    UPDATE!

Well, I gave it another testing, yesterday, and I have to say that it's definitely not the same as L'Oranger Neroli. I found it sweeter but not as dark and dense as the original EDP. Longevity and sillage was okay but not as strong as L'Oranger Neroli. However, the extra notes made it more compelling to my nose, albeit a tad more feminine.

Anyway, I've just bought a sealed bottle of L'Oranger Neroli on ebay. I've always been on the fence about it but decided it was now or never. I'm looking forward to testing it again (but in the comfort of my own home). I think I may grow to love this one.
    Last edited by Trebor; 27th October 2007 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost