Code of Conduct

Default Hawaiian Blue Men's Cologne and Maile for Men Cologne?

Does anyone know about these Hawaiian colognes: Hawaiian Blue Men's Cologne and Maile for Men Cologne? What's in them and/or what do they smell like?

Default Re: Hawaiian Blue Men's Cologne and Maile for Men Cologne?

Twenty years ago I used to buy a frag called Maile at the Woolworth's in Ala Moana. Could it possibly be the same frag?
    It was supposed to smell like a Maile lei. Maile is a fragrant leaf. I'm sorry I wish I could remember what it smelled like. It was dirt cheap and meant for tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy View Post
    Twenty years ago I used to buy a frag called Maile at the Woolworth's in Ala Moana. Could it possibly be the same frag?
    It was supposed to smell like a Maile lei. Maile is a fragrant leaf. I'm sorry I wish I could remember what it smelled like. It was dirt cheap and meant for tourists.
    I'm sure that it was the same scent. Do you mean it smelled dirt cheap or it didn't cost much?

Both actually! It didn't smell bad as i recall...I liked it because it was supposedly from here and it was cheap. I know in those days i wasn't spending alot on frags. I'll bet it was less than $10. I know if it was great it would have left a bigger impression on me. I do recall it was light....Aqua Velva light.

I do know by then I already knew the joys of Antaeus and the minute I could afford it that's what I wore.

I wasn't much a fan of these two. Couldn't get past it's drugstore aftershave impression of it. Maile was the better of the two, but the maile leaf was overly covered up. The smell of maile is good stuff on its own...green, slightly woody with a sweet, almost floral undertone. I can really see Dyptique using this as a main note and doing it right.

Was it really called Hawaiian Blue and not Blue Hawaii like the song??
    Last edited by iMaverick; 28th September 2007 at 11:37 PM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

It may have been Blue Hawaii. It probably is.

Cool Re: Hawaiian Blue Men's Cologne and Maile for Men Cologne?

I just found this site/post and had to respond. In Feb '07 I vacationed in Hawaii. I discovered Hawaiian Blue by "accident" when the bottle of cologne I had brought with me fell and broke open. I believe I picked up my first bottle of Hawaiian Blue in the "Hawaiian" section of a Wal Mart on Maui. I loved it immediately and used it as my signature cologne until a couple of years ago when the company that made it (Langer Hawaii Corp.) was purchased by a much larger company. And as fate would have it, the new owners decided to stop making it. I think I used to pay $14 for it. Maybe a big part of it's attraction to me was that it reminds me of my time in Hawaii. I still have about an 1/8th of a bottle of it. Every now and then I will take off the cap for a whiff. It's a bittersweet whiff. The bitterness of it no longer being made, tempered by the sweet memories of Hawaii.
    By the way, I've also tried the Maile cologne and didn't care for it. The Maile leaf gives it too much of a harsh "green" note.
    Tom