Code of Conduct

Default Rose Week Days Three and Four: A Pair of Czechs, Rose and Dark Rose

Czech & Speake, Rose

A portrait of a rose rendered realistic in acrylic on canvas. The rose, in full bloom, emanating its fragrance, has been freshly cut and placed in a vase on a wooden table. The table has been freshly polished with lemon oil and a few fallen petals are scattered about the base of the vase. After what seems to be a slight citrus opening, the rose note resonates throughout the wearing. Wearing Czech & Speake Rose is like wearing freshly cut roses or walking in a rose garden. One of the best realistic rose scents I have worn.

Sprays:7
    Longevity:10-12 hours plus
    Sillage:Moderately high
    RIYL:Sa Majeste La Rose, Stella, the Les Parfums des Rosine line, realistic rose fragrances, roses in full bloom.

Czech & Speake, Dark Rose

The smell and feel of crushed velvet, clean skin, roses, woods and a hint of saffron. The oud never comes across as medicinal as it does in some of the oud/rose scents I've worn. I wish the oud note maintained more presence following its opening introduction but that would belie the incredible movement of this fragrance. Oud introduces a saffron/rose heart blended exquisitely with sandalwood and a hint of incense, or maybe dry amber. I swear I thought smelled lavender and something creating a slight soapy accord but it must have been an olfactory hallucination. Dark Rose could very easily become the most worn fragrance in my wardrobe if it were readily available. I love Black Aoud, but it has tendency to knock me down on application. Dark Rose takes a different tactic. It's a stunning, dark, seductive, demure, lovely who beckons me with a finger. I approach and she tempts me with red wine and a sly grin. Desire is our communion.

Amount: 0.5 ml
    Longevity:8-10 hours
    Sillage: Moderate
    RIYL:Oud/rose scents, rare masterpieces

One thing I have learned about Czech & Speake fragrances is that they always exude refinement and craftsmanship. A line of fragrances that consistently deliver intriguing movement, quality materials, and a pleasurable wearing experience.
    Last edited by Sloan; 28th September 2007 at 05:05 AM. Reason: sp

Default Re: Rose Week Days Three and Four: A Pair of Czechs, Rose and Dark Rose

Thanks for the great reviews.I am a rose freak and I really would like to sniff Dark Rose.

Cry me a river
    (as one of the other posters says)

It's good to see someone illuminating these two. You've done an excellent job as usual. I'll have to check out one of my samples of Rose tomorrow. I've only worn it a few times but there's no doubt it's an excellent fragrance.

I think Czech & Speake's having a hard time acquiring the oud it needs to bring Dark Rose back into production. It's a great one.
    Last edited by pluran; 28th September 2007 at 01:21 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Michael - yes, we tend to glorify the rose trifecta here on the mens board (No. 88 / Black Oud / Rose 31) and largely ignore some of the other superior rose scents out there in the market.

Czech & Speake are quietly becoming a perfume line I can depend upon to deliver quality juice. If I lived in the UK, I think I'd probably visit their store weekly.

Dark Rose's oud note sounds a lot like Aoud Blossom by Montale. Is it?

Also Michael, I must ask, what does RIYL stand for (?)

recommended if you like
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Dark Rose's oud note sounds a lot like Aoud Blossom by Montale. Is it?

Also Michael, I must ask, what does RIYL stand for (?)
    I have not tested Aoud Blossom yet, it's on my list though. Some Montale ouds I have worn (Aoud Lime, Aoud Roses Petals) strike me as more medicinal than the oud in Dark Rose. I love the Montale oud notes but the oud in Dark Rose is warm and woody.

RIYL=Recommended if you like...