Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ...

Default ...

I've had a sizable decant for months. I tried it a couple of times and didn't love it, but tonight it's f***ing outrageous.

Rose 31 is an EDP.

Notes are Grasse rose, cumin, pepper, clove, nutmeg, olibanum, cedar, amber, gaïac wood, oud wood, cistus, vetiver and animalic notes.

It's been on for two hours and I've been getting off on it consistently as it continues to evolve, now beginning to throw in some mild animalics. It's rare to like something this much.

How does it make me feel? It sort of like how I feel before I'm going to eat p_ssy or something of that nature. Not bad. Not bad at all.

It's the most satisfying rose based fragrance I've worn since Black Aoud.
    Last edited by pluran; 28th September 2007 at 01:32 PM.

Default Re: Le Labo Rose 31 is Some Good Sh*t

The animalics dont seem blended coherently. Its good, but never could get into it much. But then I don't eat a lot of p_ssy either.
    -

I couldn't get into at all the first few times I tried it. Threw it in a box and didn't give a sh*t if I ever saw it again. Now that I think about it, it's actually been about five months since I last wore it.

Its blending is remarkable, generally putting out accords rather than any particular note. The animalics (musk and what seems like some sort of ambergris) are mild but give it a depth that otherwise wouldn't be there.

Another great thing about it is that it contains no saffron.

-------------------

Three hours later (its been on for at least five hours) the rose is as voluptuous as ever and lies within a tenacious and fleshly woody balsamic accord with just enough unsweetened amber to give it the substance it needs. It's a relatively round and high quality fragrance.

I've been trying to figure out what fragrance it reminds me of for the past few hours. It just hit me that it's Rose Poivreé. I love Rose Poivreé but Rose 31 is richer, woodier, more balsamic.
    Last edited by pluran; 28th September 2007 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Another great thing about it is that it contains no saffron.
    Do rose scents usually have saffron??? Or you just don't like the note?

haha....awesome.
    I feel the same way....Rose 31, Black Aoud and C&S 88 all give me a really good feeling when I wear them.

How does it make me feel? It sort of like how I feel before I'm going to eat p_ssy or something of that nature. Not bad. Not bad at all.
    It has a similar effect on me as well. Rose 31 drove my last girlfriend over the edge a few times. Made me feel like a Magellan in a world of carnal exploration. Rose 31 is beauty and the beast. My first impression was "sex in a rose garden". My second thought was, "Wow. This smells like me after sex but with roses in the mix." The top notes mixed with cumin smell like natural male musk, and the roses in the heart tame the nasty beast to make the overall accord tolerable without one overpowering the other. It's a seductive beast. It gets my motor running. Taps into my power animal. It has a feral quality that never fails to excite me.

Quote Originally Posted by DrOfTheSoul View Post
    Do rose scents usually have saffron??? Or you just don't like the note?
    Many of the good modern rose scents contain saffron. It's just nice to smell one without it.
    Last edited by pluran; 28th September 2007 at 12:01 PM.

Warning: This thread is rated PG.

But yeah I can totally see what you mean, pluran. Even if I'm not much a a cat conniseur.

Basenotes Institution

Its blending is remarkable, generally putting out accords rather than any particular note. The animalics (musk and what seems like some sort of ambergris) are mild but give it a depth that otherwise wouldn't be there.

-------------------

I've been trying to figure out what fragrance it reminds me of for the past few hours. It just hit me that it's Rose Poivreť. I love Rose Poivreť but Rose 31 is richer, woodier, more balsamic.
    Pluran - nice to finally see you coming over the 'love' side, of the Rose 31 contingency - I respect your choices in scent.

Rose 31 I 'got' the instant I smelled it. Yes, the note I think you're referring to is a synthetic ambergris (specifically Cetalox Laevo) and this is what makes Rose 31 special to me...I have said it before, it smells like animals breath and the way it's mixed with the rose is ingenious and quite addictive.

Icing on the cake = I get loads of compliments when I wear this.

I also see the comparisons to Rose Poivree (I think the rose notes of these two are strikingly similar) but the black pepper and the 'cleanly pressed, dressed nice' civet note in RP is so tame compared to the one in R31. They're two great rose scents, with wildly different results after about 10 minutes on my skin. I can't imagine wearing RP for 'intimate encounters' either [my partner would probably sneeze too much] - but Rose 31, definitely.

We should have a SSD for Rose 31 and then all pleasure women!
    Pluran, excellent thread, but I must side with ZZ here as I share his sentiments nearly exactly. I will however remember to dig it up in a couple of months and try it again!

Le Labo is sold out of Rose 31, something about a run on the stuff since early last night.

And I was gonna roam the neighborhood and look for the females of my species in heat and offer to eat over at my place. Lick the alphabet in memory of ole Sam.

Damn. I just placed an order for this last night. Good timing i guess. I just got my tracking number. I can wait to get this as it is a blind buy. I have never tried it before so i hope it is as good as people are saying here!

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    Lick the alphabet in memory of ole Sam.
    Once you're ready for the next level:
    http://www.amazon.com/She-Comes-Firs...1001429&sr=1-1

this is on an interesting level also and the view is dandy

http://www.amazon.com/Blow-Him-Away-...960489-6444048

Btw: Le Labo just got more in.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 28th September 2007 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe View Post
    We should have a SSD for Rose 31 and then all pleasure women!
    I always say that Basenoters are a generous and giving group of folks!

How does this compare to Czech & Speake 88. I have had serious rose cravings as of late and am intrigued by this.
    Could a woman wear this?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    I always say that Basenoters are a generous and giving group of folks!

How does this compare to Czech & Speake 88. I have had serious rose cravings as of late and am intrigued by this.
    Could a woman wear this?
    Strangely, most women I know don't go 'gaga' over Rose 31 as guys too (of course, this is a generalization). I think you should try it.

I think it's different than No. 88. I love No. 88, but honestly I've never received a compliment when I wore it, and I don't find No. 88 'sensual' at all.

Hope that helps Renee.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th September 2007 at 08:07 PM.

It doesn't compare to #88 at all. #88 is a simply complex, dark, velvety, and classic rose. Rose 31 is warm, spicy, complexly simple, bright, and contemporary. If I remember correctly, pluran and I were once very nearly olfactive opposites. He loves 88, which I used to hate, and I love 31, which he's coming around to now.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Strangely, most women I know don't go 'gaga' over Rose 31 as guys too (of course, this is a generalization). I think you should try it.

I think it's different than No. 88. I love No. 88, but honestly I've never received a compliment when I wore it, and I don't find No. 88 'sensual' at all.

Hope that helps Renee.
    hmmm.... funny, but I have received a nice compliment from a man while wearing this, and then later he looked a bit thoughtful and said , gee, I could wear that myself!
    not sure how to take that one -

and Rich, thanks for the descriptive comparison. I guess I will just have to try it, like all the rest!
    Mike, I get beachy salty rose from 88. there is an "airiness" about it.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I just placed an order for a small bottle from Le Labo...looking forward to finding out how this smells! I haven't even tested it anywhere, but can't wait to get some, and I trust the reviews you guys have given it.

About a year ago, I tested Rose d'Homme and found it real nice, though I'm looking for a rose scent with less vanilla, more wood and spice. I also tried Rose Poivree and found the pepper/spice a bit too strong for my liking. It sounds like Rose 31 hits the middle ground somewhere. That said, I still give thumbs up to Rose d'Homme and Rose Poivree.
    Last edited by Spicemeister; 8th October 2007 at 05:38 AM.

If Pluran says Rose 31 is good Sh*t...then it's good sh*t.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Thrax

I love cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    I love cologne.
    Me too. Cologne is good sh*t.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Thrax

If knightowl says cologne is good sh*t, then it's good sh*t.

ok. certainly sparked my interest.. i see borky arranged a split of 1000 ml of this stuff back in May 07. Anyone interested in a similar deal .... I'm in aust. so $ wise better to be procured / sent from us / eu... any ideas or suggestions appreciated .. jasp.

Le Labo leaves me wanting. I try to love it, but I just feel it should be named Le Labo Wood 31 with Rose being 1 of the 31. The wood smells kinda generic to me and the rose is fleeting; its not a powerhouse like the other popular rose scents of recent popularity. Its a good scent, but just doesn't have that something something I like. I keep trying though.

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 9th October 2007 at 06:07 AM.
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I'm getting a bottle of Rose 31 in the mail soon (part of the group purchase we did in the Fragrances for Sale forum). I haven't actually smelled it before (this is the first time I've ever bought a fragrance blind... uh oh) so I'll give it my review here once I get it.

Pluran, if you like it then there's a good chance I will too. We seem to give the thumbs up on the same things.

I got my Rose 31 in the mail today and have done a wrist test tonight; I might write a little more when I do a full test next week. But for now, here's what I've found.

On first applying, I found it to be an exciting and special scent, one that says "extravagance," like only rose can, triggering an image of lit red candles on tables in a restaurant with low lighting while couples engage in hushed but vibrant romantic conversations, and later, similar times "one on one," warming each other by the fireplace. I smell the rose, the burnt smell of cumin and pepper, the cedar...WOW! exciting and new. The rose wafts, and the sillage is good. There's definitely some smoke and fire, reminiscent of Gucci pour Homme, but with rose, or a toned-down Bel Ami with rose. From what I remember of Rose Poivree, it and Rose 31 are fairly similar, but Rose 31 has more rose and less pepper, though it is still spicy, probably from the cumin...however, the cumin does not overwhelm the whole shebang but gives it some tension, which keeps it from getting boring.

Definitely seems to me to be a manly rose scent, though some women would probably smell sexy wearing it too if they're the daring type. I want to keep sniffing it, maybe 'cause the rose plays a little hard to get, or it just plain smells good and smells different! It smells expensive and rough at the same time.

An hour or more later, it calms down, the fire and smoke die down, all becomes more mellow, just as the fiery passion of a relationship's first glow gives way to a quieter and more grounded, yet still simmering, warmth. The intensity of the first hour or more was exciting, but you know what they say about too much of a good thing, so it's kind of a relief to have it be more mellow (I'm not a big fan of smoky, fiery scents anyway, but coupled with rose, I make the exception). Maybe a little patchouli is coming through. So, it's been about 2 hours and it still lasts...we'll see how much longer it keeps going.
    Last edited by Spicemeister; 13th October 2007 at 07:56 AM.

^ Great review Spicemeister!

/mmm

Hey Maxwell, wanna trade a sample for a sample? If I have anything you want to try, I'd sure love an ml or two to try of Rose 31
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt View Post
    ^ Great review Spicemeister!

/mmm
    Just wanted to say thanks, MonkeyManMatt.

I wore it again today, my first time giving it a full, normal wear, and I loved it! This isn't another review, just a few brief thoughts about my experience. I used 3 sprays from the small (15ml) bottle; it wore really well, and it lasted very well with average (plenty good) sillage. With the small bottle, the sprays are kind of short, so I'll probably try 4 sprays next time (didn't want to run the risk of smelling too rosey-perfumy at the office, though I'm now satisfied this won't be a problem). But it was great! I love the dichotomy between the rose and the wood and spice...contrast between a man's soft, classy, refined side and his rugged, animal side. You know, I'll bet you that some of the smokiness that's part of this comes from the Gaiac wood, which has a smoky scent (also spelled guaiac). I don't know what the oudh wood in it smells like.

Anyway, bottom line, my experience today was that it's not only enjoyable but "unique," different from other scents I've got (though pretty similar to Rose Poivree, which I sampled but don't have).

I'd agree with others who classify this as a spicy, woody rose scent. I've been comparing it in my mind with Rose d'Homme, which is a smoother rose scent with virtually no spice if I remember correctly, and with vanilla. I may end up getting that one too--that reminds me--I still have to try my sample of Opone! (Haven't sampled that one for about 2 years.)
    Last edited by Spicemeister; 18th October 2007 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicemeister View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks, MonkeyManMatt.

I wore it again today, my first time giving it a full, normal wear, and I loved it! This isn't another review, just a few brief thoughts about my experience. I used 3 sprays from the small (15ml) bottle; it wore really well, and it lasted very well with average (plenty good) sillage. With the small bottle, the sprays are kind of short, so I'll probably try 4 sprays next time (didn't want to run the risk of smelling too rosey-perfumy at the office, though I'm now satisfied this won't be a problem). But it was great! I love the dichotomy between the rose and the wood and spice...contrast between a man's soft, classy, refined side and his rugged, animal side. You know, I'll bet you that some of the smokiness that's part of this comes from the Gaiac wood, which has a smoky scent (also spelled guaiac). I don't know what the oudh wood in it smells like.

Anyway, bottom line, my experience today was that it's not only enjoyable but "unique," different from other scents I've got (though pretty similar to Rose Poivree, which I sampled but don't have).

I'd agree with others who classify this as a spicy, woody rose scent. I've been comparing it in my mind with Rose d'Homme, which is a smoother rose scent with virtually no spice if I remember correctly, and with vanilla. I may end up getting that one too--that reminds me--I still have to try my sample of Opone! (Haven't sampled that one for about 2 years.)
    That sums the scent up really well. The guaiacwood note is definitely prominent, and it's part of what gives the smokiness, like you said.

I love Rose 31, it's almost impossible to over apply and everyone I've asked about it so far likes it a lot. It's not overpowering and yet has such a strong presence. Three sprays works for me, and I smell it all day, even when going to bed later.

It's definitely an "exalting" fragrance... it's more like an aura than a normal perfume; it's not going to knock anyone down even if you overapply. After it dries down a bit there's no harsh edges, and yet it's not "fluffy" smelling like a comfort scent. It never loses that unique edge. Very compelling and natural smelling.

Funny I think it is very different from Rose Poivree.

Me too Joe_Frances. ^

Basenotes Institution

Me three Joe_Frances. ^
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I yield to you guys about the Rose Poivree...I probably gave it only a wrist test when I tried it about a year ago. I do know I smelled more pepper/spice in that one than Rose 31.

trying my first sniff of this beauty (thank you mr. sloan, sir) and my immediate thought was, it's like Kingdom with crushed rose petals...then it sort of went into this smoky leather phase, and now it's softening up to a suede like feel.

this is nice. must study further. I think I would enjoy smelling this on a man's skin more than on myself.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    trying my first sniff of this beauty (thank you mr. sloan, sir) and my immediate thought was, it's like Kingdom with crushed rose petals...then it sort of went into this smoky leather phase, and now it's softening up to a suede like feel.

this is nice. must study further. I think I would enjoy smelling this on a man's skin more than on myself.
    I have noticed that most men love R31 and most women at the most enjoy it, but aren't driven to passion like men are. This is, of course, a sweeping generalization - but I think Basenotes is a good litmus test of most fragrances and I've seen R31 become such a winner mostly for men.

Which is not a problem for me, since I am a man (and it smells wonderful on me) and I love smelling it on other men too.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

it's like the opposite of those old Secret commercials

"Rose31 Eau de Parfum, Strong enough for a woman, but made for a man!"

now im curious...whats with the vaginal references? Are you guys saying that it just smells like "sex" or what? I have been itchin to try some of this because of all the good reviews and because i am looking for a second skin "sex" scent...i think everyone should have one...the closest i have really come to that is musk by viloressi, but it just didnt hit the mark for me.

I just received my bottle and I have been trying to like it. I gave it my first full wearing today. One of the ladies at work thought it had a slight citronella smell to it. I see what she means. I bought it blind from Lelabo.com, did I get a bunk bottle? Has anyone else got this vibe from it?

I don't detect any citronella note in R31.

Quote Originally Posted by Raist679 View Post
    I just received my bottle and I have been trying to like it. I gave it my first full wearing today. One of the ladies at work thought it had a slight citronella smell to it. I see what she means. I bought it blind from Lelabo.com, did I get a bunk bottle? Has anyone else got this vibe from it?

Me neither (from my sample from Mike). All I sense is my wallet being $125 lighter I lubb it.

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    I don't detect any citronella note in R31.

[QUOTE=rentboy;1082832

"Rose31 Eau de Parfum, Strong enough for a woman, but made for a man!"[/QUOTE]

yes, I can see this.

My bottle arrived today and I'm a little underwhelmed. I get a prominent rose, little to no development and I find that overall this stuff smells a lot like a moisturizer to me. Maybe with a few wearings I'll 'get it', but right now I feel as though I must be smelling something completely different from the rest of you..

Don't worry madvillain, if you don't end up liking it, there are plenty of people here who would gladly buy it from you

Wow Pluran, you have a way with words!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I've definitely changed my tune on this stuff. I'm addicted to it. I'm still not sure about its longevity, it seems to go quickly but maybe it's just my nose adapting.

I bought the big bottle of this; should be getting it next week. Yay!

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote from one book:

,,Hawthorn and various kinds of roses smell like the female pubes"
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

So far it is one I can't warm up to. My SO says it "smells like you've been cooking". LOL.
    NEXT!

I gave a small sample to a coworker recently and it was instant love.
    Yet another convert.
    I much prefer it on male chemistry rather than my own, I have decided.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    Quote from one book:

,,Hawthorn and various kinds of roses smell like the female pubes"
    Quote from my book: "If you think the female counterpart smells of roses, either I need to meet different girls or you need to get your nose checked."
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    now im curious...whats with the vaginal references? Are you guys saying that it just smells like "sex" or what? I have been itchin to try some of this because of all the good reviews and because i am looking for a second skin "sex" scent...i think everyone should have one...the closest i have really come to that is musk by viloressi, but it just didnt hit the mark for me.
    At the risk of sounding vulgar, I have to say that that was my impression from the start. To me I get a very nice rose note and a very nice vaginal note. I had not seen this thread at the time, but it was clear as day-what a great smelling vagina with a rose sitting near.

Oh no! So I am smelling like a vagina when I wear Rose 31?? It is in my Top 10. Oh well....not anymore. Anybody want the rest of my bottle?

Talking Re: Le Labo Rose 31 is Some Good Sh*t

If so, this is probably why my partner and I don't like it.

Ok...now where is that credit card again.....HA HA......

Peace,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 9th November 2007 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Oh no! So I am smelling like a vagina when I wear Rose 31?? It is in my Top 10. Oh well....not anymore. Anybody want the rest of my bottle?
    aw, come on, don't be such a p*ssy!
    Last edited by rtamara41; 9th November 2007 at 07:41 PM.

No wonder straight guys at work ask me what it is and how good I smell when I wear this. Odd pattern, but it makes sense now.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    No wonder straight guys at work ask me what it is and how good I smell when I wear this. Odd pattern, but it makes sense now.
    Last time I wore R31 a straight guy in my office came up to me and licked my neck where I applied it. I was wondering why...now it makes perfect sense Barry.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Last time I wore R31 a straight guy in my office came up to me and licked my neck where I applied it. I was wondering why...now it makes perfect sense Barry.
    You forgot the quotes around straight.