Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ...

Default Re: Le Labo Rose 31 is Some Good Sh*t

Quote Originally Posted by Spicemeister View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks, MonkeyManMatt.

I wore it again today, my first time giving it a full, normal wear, and I loved it! This isn't another review, just a few brief thoughts about my experience. I used 3 sprays from the small (15ml) bottle; it wore really well, and it lasted very well with average (plenty good) sillage. With the small bottle, the sprays are kind of short, so I'll probably try 4 sprays next time (didn't want to run the risk of smelling too rosey-perfumy at the office, though I'm now satisfied this won't be a problem). But it was great! I love the dichotomy between the rose and the wood and spice...contrast between a man's soft, classy, refined side and his rugged, animal side. You know, I'll bet you that some of the smokiness that's part of this comes from the Gaiac wood, which has a smoky scent (also spelled guaiac). I don't know what the oudh wood in it smells like.

Anyway, bottom line, my experience today was that it's not only enjoyable but "unique," different from other scents I've got (though pretty similar to Rose Poivree, which I sampled but don't have).

I'd agree with others who classify this as a spicy, woody rose scent. I've been comparing it in my mind with Rose d'Homme, which is a smoother rose scent with virtually no spice if I remember correctly, and with vanilla. I may end up getting that one too--that reminds me--I still have to try my sample of Opone! (Haven't sampled that one for about 2 years.)
    That sums the scent up really well. The guaiacwood note is definitely prominent, and it's part of what gives the smokiness, like you said.

I love Rose 31, it's almost impossible to over apply and everyone I've asked about it so far likes it a lot. It's not overpowering and yet has such a strong presence. Three sprays works for me, and I smell it all day, even when going to bed later.

It's definitely an "exalting" fragrance... it's more like an aura than a normal perfume; it's not going to knock anyone down even if you overapply. After it dries down a bit there's no harsh edges, and yet it's not "fluffy" smelling like a comfort scent. It never loses that unique edge. Very compelling and natural smelling.

Funny I think it is very different from Rose Poivree.
    Currently wearing: Benedictus by Excelsis

Me too Joe_Frances. ^

Basenotes Institution

Me three Joe_Frances. ^
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I yield to you guys about the Rose Poivree...I probably gave it only a wrist test when I tried it about a year ago. I do know I smelled more pepper/spice in that one than Rose 31.

trying my first sniff of this beauty (thank you mr. sloan, sir) and my immediate thought was, it's like Kingdom with crushed rose petals...then it sort of went into this smoky leather phase, and now it's softening up to a suede like feel.

this is nice. must study further. I think I would enjoy smelling this on a man's skin more than on myself.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    trying my first sniff of this beauty (thank you mr. sloan, sir) and my immediate thought was, it's like Kingdom with crushed rose petals...then it sort of went into this smoky leather phase, and now it's softening up to a suede like feel.

this is nice. must study further. I think I would enjoy smelling this on a man's skin more than on myself.
    I have noticed that most men love R31 and most women at the most enjoy it, but aren't driven to passion like men are. This is, of course, a sweeping generalization - but I think Basenotes is a good litmus test of most fragrances and I've seen R31 become such a winner mostly for men.

Which is not a problem for me, since I am a man (and it smells wonderful on me) and I love smelling it on other men too.

-- Eckhart Tolle

it's like the opposite of those old Secret commercials

"Rose31 Eau de Parfum, Strong enough for a woman, but made for a man!"

now im curious...whats with the vaginal references? Are you guys saying that it just smells like "sex" or what? I have been itchin to try some of this because of all the good reviews and because i am looking for a second skin "sex" scent...i think everyone should have one...the closest i have really come to that is musk by viloressi, but it just didnt hit the mark for me.

I just received my bottle and I have been trying to like it. I gave it my first full wearing today. One of the ladies at work thought it had a slight citronella smell to it. I see what she means. I bought it blind from Lelabo.com, did I get a bunk bottle? Has anyone else got this vibe from it?

I don't detect any citronella note in R31.

Quote Originally Posted by Raist679 View Post
    I just received my bottle and I have been trying to like it. I gave it my first full wearing today. One of the ladies at work thought it had a slight citronella smell to it. I see what she means. I bought it blind from Lelabo.com, did I get a bunk bottle? Has anyone else got this vibe from it?

Me neither (from my sample from Mike). All I sense is my wallet being $125 lighter I lubb it.

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    I don't detect any citronella note in R31.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

[QUOTE=rentboy;1082832

"Rose31 Eau de Parfum, Strong enough for a woman, but made for a man!"[/QUOTE]

yes, I can see this.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

My bottle arrived today and I'm a little underwhelmed. I get a prominent rose, little to no development and I find that overall this stuff smells a lot like a moisturizer to me. Maybe with a few wearings I'll 'get it', but right now I feel as though I must be smelling something completely different from the rest of you..

Don't worry madvillain, if you don't end up liking it, there are plenty of people here who would gladly buy it from you
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Wow Pluran, you have a way with words!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I've definitely changed my tune on this stuff. I'm addicted to it. I'm still not sure about its longevity, it seems to go quickly but maybe it's just my nose adapting.

I bought the big bottle of this; should be getting it next week. Yay!

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    How does it make me feel? It sort of like how I feel before I'm going to eat p_ssy or something of that nature. Not bad. Not bad at all.
    Quote from one book:

,,Hawthorn and various kinds of roses smell like the female pubes"
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    One can not prove the beauty, but show it. You see it or you don't.

Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) Guerlain Habit Rouge 5) TF Noir de Noir \\ Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

So far it is one I can't warm up to. My SO says it "smells like you've been cooking". LOL.
    NEXT!

I gave a small sample to a coworker recently and it was instant love.
    Yet another convert.
    I much prefer it on male chemistry rather than my own, I have decided.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    Quote from one book:

,,Hawthorn and various kinds of roses smell like the female pubes"
    Quote from my book: "If you think the female counterpart smells of roses, either I need to meet different girls or you need to get your nose checked."
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    now im curious...whats with the vaginal references? Are you guys saying that it just smells like "sex" or what? I have been itchin to try some of this because of all the good reviews and because i am looking for a second skin "sex" scent...i think everyone should have one...the closest i have really come to that is musk by viloressi, but it just didnt hit the mark for me.
    At the risk of sounding vulgar, I have to say that that was my impression from the start. To me I get a very nice rose note and a very nice vaginal note. I had not seen this thread at the time, but it was clear as day-what a great smelling vagina with a rose sitting near.
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Oh no! So I am smelling like a vagina when I wear Rose 31?? It is in my Top 10. Oh well....not anymore. Anybody want the rest of my bottle?

Talking Re: Le Labo Rose 31 is Some Good Sh*t

If so, this is probably why my partner and I don't like it.

Ok...now where is that credit card again.....HA HA......

Peace,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 9th November 2007 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Oh no! So I am smelling like a vagina when I wear Rose 31?? It is in my Top 10. Oh well....not anymore. Anybody want the rest of my bottle?
    aw, come on, don't be such a p*ssy!
    Last edited by rtamara41; 9th November 2007 at 07:41 PM.

No wonder straight guys at work ask me what it is and how good I smell when I wear this. Odd pattern, but it makes sense now.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    No wonder straight guys at work ask me what it is and how good I smell when I wear this. Odd pattern, but it makes sense now.
    Last time I wore R31 a straight guy in my office came up to me and licked my neck where I applied it. I was wondering why...now it makes perfect sense Barry.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Last time I wore R31 a straight guy in my office came up to me and licked my neck where I applied it. I was wondering why...now it makes perfect sense Barry.
    You forgot the quotes around straight.