Code of Conduct

Default Any of the men's Guerlain scents ever released in a gold box?

By *men's* I mean scents that ARE marketed as *pour homme* a la Heritage, Habit Rouge etc... by the house, and not the ones we, Guerlain fans, love to see as unisex--Jicky, Mitsouko, etc...

I visited Saudi a few months ago and was told by the head of marketing of a leading perfume retail chain that Derby was released in the gold box for women and was reformulated with less oakmoss and more carnation, but was soon discontinued. I bought the Derby in the gold box and what the man said about the notes is quite right.

Moreover, he assured me that the re-released Derby exclusively in Paris' Guerlain is exactly the same as one I bought in the gold box.
    Last edited by Killer_Vavoom; 29th September 2007 at 05:00 AM.

Default Re: Any of the men's Guerlain scents ever released in a gold box?

The standard Guerlain gold boxing is from 1983. Before 1983, Guerlain used "The White Box", "The Banded Blue Box", "The Coffee Bean Design Box" and "The Zig Zag Box". The latter was also used for Vetiver and Habit Rouge. What you have heard about a "Derby pour femme" is not true, I'm afraid. Derby was in a short period editoned in the gold box in the socalled Travel Bottle: http://i12.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/06/2e/a3_2.JPG but the juice was unchanged. I'm sure that your nose's confirmation of the sales man's talking is only an example of the Basenoter's self-fulfilling prophecy... The only other gold box Guerlain for men is Mouchoir de Monsieur which is still today sold in the classic gold box: http://www.escentual.co.uk/isroot/Es...e_Monsieur.jpg

Good buy though! Save it - it's VERY expensive on Ebay!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Never heard about Derby released in a Femme-edition. It was in a short period editoned in the gold box in the socalled Travel Bottle: http://cgi.ebay.com/derby-by-guerlai...QQcmdZViewItem
    but NEVER in a femme-edition. That was sales man bullshit. I guess that your smelling confirmation of his talking is just an example of self fulfilling prophety... The only other gold box Guerlain for men is Mouchoir de Monsieur which is still sold in the classic gold box.
    Thanks for your reply but the person I was referring to is not a salesman. He is a regional marketeer in one of the biggest markets in the world-Saudi. He knows in perfume more than any other person I have dealt with in person.

Thanks again for your reply, but sorry, I know very well the notes I talk about. Too well actually.

3rd of all, the bottle in the link you mentioned is exactly like the ones I got. WOW! VERY inflated price.

4th of all, your Guerlain collection is praiseworthy, though your myspace page takes AGES to download. If you see MY Guerlain collection, you will swoon. Seriously

I edited my reply with some more details. I don't wanna argue, but I know some of the most expertised Guerlain-collectors in Europe. According to them, Derby was never reformulated before Les Parisiennes-edition. The Travel Bottle was ONLY used for masculine scents. That's all I can say. PS: You must have a slow internet-connection :-)