Code of Conduct

Question Is "The Dreamer" a good scent for Autumn/Winter?

Forgive the odd topic, but I seem to have run into a snag. Not too long ago I bought a bottle of Burberry London thinking that it would be a perfect signature frag for the upcoming fall and winter months.

My desire to purchase another fragrance is a combination of the following two factors:

01. I'm slowly getting more and more addicted to purchasing scents. It's becoming a healthy hobby that eats away at my rent payments and electrical bills. As a college student, this is hardly a concern.

02. I've noticed some longevity issues with Burberry London. Perhaps it's just my getting used to the scent, but it definitely feels as though the stuff evaporates on my skin within an hour after applying it. This sucks, considering how much I absolutely love the stuff and how well it goes with an occasional clove cigarette. Anyone else get the same effect?

Regardless, I've been doing some research, and one of the scents I want to sample today when I head to the mall is "The Dreamer" by Versace. Many have noted that, after getting past the harsh top notes, there's a beautiful scent waiting to reward.

Is it appropriate for Autumn and Winter, though? What else would you recommend to someone who loves London? (i.e., someone who's looking for tobacco, spice, wood, cinnamon...something to flirt with the scents in a coffee shop in the middle of a snow storm )

Thanks, folks!

Default Re: Is "The Dreamer" a good scent for Autumn/Winter?

Rich, wonderful tobacco and iris -- perfect anytime, but esp. for colder weather, yes.

This frag has its share of detractors on the board, though, so be prepared for some snipes.

I for one LOVE it, though -- it's always in my Top 20.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 28th September 2007 at 09:36 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Rich, wonderful tobacco and iris -- perfect anytime, but esp. for colder weather, yes.

This frag has its share of detractors on the board, though, so be prepared for some snipes.

I for one LOVE it, though -- it's always in my Top 20.
    Thanks for the response, tv. I'll welcome the detractors with the supporters and, most importantly, gauge for myself whether or not I like the stuff. Given what I have heard about the amazing drydown, I think I'll snag a test card and keep it in my pocket throughout the day. It doesn't sound like something I'd be able to judge within the first few minutes of smelling it.

No, you're correct there. You MUST give this one time to dry down, as its opening blast of iris has been known to knock over occasional tables and small children.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    No, you're correct there. You MUST give this one time to dry down, as its opening blast of iris has been known to knock over occasional tables and small children.
    Ha, very nice. Any other suggestions?

http://www.scentiments.com/Product/S....aspx?id=91997

I just picked The Dreamer up and a few others from Scentiments last night. It's only $20 bucks and then with that 5% off you can't go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    http://www.scentiments.com/Product/S....aspx?id=91997

I just picked The Dreamer up and a few others from Scentiments last night. It's only $20 bucks and then with that 5% off you can't go wrong
    Thanks for the link, Adam! If I end up enjoying it, I'll most likely buy it online, seeing as how it's cheap as hell.

No, no nightmares for me with The Dreamer...sweet dreams only .
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I don't own bottle of the dreamer, but have been thinking about it after sampling it numerous times. I for one do not mind the opening and the drydown is very nice. I say it's great for this time of year. I also like John Varvatos and Rochas man for the fall and I believe that both can be found reasonably cheap online.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Versace Dreamer 1.6oz for $16.95 at http://www.bigdiscount.com/fragrance...id=162&sub=men
    Last edited by kbe; 29th September 2007 at 12:12 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I see The Dreamer as more of a Spring scent, and I seem to get more of the scent of lily in the beginning than iris. I think Dolce & Gabbana PH is more the Autumn/Winter frag with more evident tobacco notes. Even bigger thumbs up for tobacco is Zino Davidoff.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 29th September 2007 at 05:15 AM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

It would be great for winter

I will be the first to snipe, I guess. I find it one of the worst (if not THE worst) scents
    in my wardrobe. I would gladly give it away if someone met me locally.

Maybe I should try it again to see if I can stand it, but this is one I definitely should
    have sampled before buying.

This is a great winter scent.Had a large decant of this & I think I`m going for a bottle.Go for it I don`t think you will regret it given the price online.

Dreamer's price is very reasonable.
    It has a warm sweat scent which is suitable for cold weather.
    It has a romantic style in my taste.
    BUT it is very different from B.London! Dreamer is a Wild floral-Fougere-Tobacco scent, London is more about wine and tobaccos.
    Recommend testing carefully before BUY!