Code of Conduct

Default Grooming Ediquette: Can You Tell a Friend He Should Use Moisturizer?

I have a good friend, He's successful, urbane, clever, well dressed, and has really dry wrinkly skin. He's 50 and in good physical condition, but his skin makes him look older, I think. He would like to meet someone and finally settle down, but I think this one thing is holding him back. My wife says "no" but I think I should some how suggest he pick up a moisturizer. Is that a terrible idea? How would you do it?

Default Re: Grooming Ediquette: Can You Tell a Friend He Should Use Moisturizer?

Of course especially if he looks like an old boot.

Default Re: Grooming Ediquette: Can You Tell a Friend He Should Use Moisturizer?

Yeah, I'm sure there's a tactful, respectful, inoffensive way to do it. I don't know the guy, though, so its hard to make any specific suggestions!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Obviously you aint gonna put it like that Detroit.

Joe say something like "dude have you ever considering using a face cream because i am telling you i have started and man it makes me look so much better."

You could buy him one as a gift?

I think you're treading on very thin ice here - I know I couldn't do it, unless if asked point-blank by the friend in question.

I had a similar situation with a friend my own age, who for many years wore a full beard. Once he finally took it off and started shaving every day, he looked like an abattoir at closing time every day. After a few weeks of that, he asked me how I shaved, what equipment I used, what lotion, etc. I was happy to tell him then, but I just couldn't bring it up to him before that.

Yeah, I agree. Easier said than done.

Maybe if you brought it up by almost acting like you were just gloating about the new face lotion you "discovered" and maybe it will initiate a conversation about lotion, face care, shaving, etc. Don't go directly to the suggestion...Try to subconsciously force him to bring it up.
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Exclamation Re: Grooming Ediquette: Can You Tell a Friend He Should Use Moisturizer?

Update: Eh gads!

My friend came into town, and we went to a semi-business dinner last night. He chaged his hair style to look more, well what should I say?, "hip" or "updated" or something, and he also went BLOND instead of his perfectly fine previous salt and pepper gray. Now the skin looks worse by contrast! Too many people around to say, Scott, now that you've changed your look about a little Clinique (or something)?

This is grim. I think I will say nothing, unless we go shopping, as he is wont to do sometimes when he comes to NYC, and then maybe.....
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 4th October 2007 at 03:18 AM.

Oh, man. What a crappy situation for you ! I'm laughing my ass off right now, because I can just imagine you looking at all this so disapprovingly, but still biting your lip!

Recently, I had the pleasurable task of informing my room mate that he and his room and his laundry all smell bad. Lol He actually ended up taking it really well and we had a laugh. He's completely remedied the situation as well. I even put a little sticky note on his clean laundry pile saying that it smelled much better lately! I think he was using some cheap stinky detergent or something. I got him going on some oxyclean and he switched his detergents. No more smell!

Like I said before, there probably IS a way to do this, but I don't know the guy, so I really can't help! Come up with a way to make him talk about his looks.

Laser therapy and Juvaderm (or Radiesse, or Artefill) coupled with a little Botox and some dermabrasion. (Maybe an acid peel if he doesn't want to sit through the microdermabrasion sessions.) Quit smoking; drink lots of water; use a moisturizer. Use water-based bronzer instead of suntanning.

Moisturizers only do so much, and are no remedy for your friend's problems by themselves.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 4th October 2007 at 06:22 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Laser therapy and Juvaderm (or Radiesse, or Artefill) coupled with a little Botox and some dermabrasion. (Maybe an acid peel if he doesn't want to sit through the microdermabrasion sessions.) Quit smoking; drink lots of water; use a moisturizer. Use water-based bronzer instead of suntanning.

Moisturizers only do so much, and are no remedy for your friend's problems by themselves.
    But maybe he should START that conversation focusing on the moisturizer bit?!?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Ok give him a picture of Yoda. He might get the hint:

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    Of course especially if he looks like an old boot.
    Heh!!! That one made me LOL. Of course, a gentleman would not want his friends to compare his face to a boot, but there must be some tactful way to do it. I agree that perhaps buying him a bottle might help...

Also, do dudes ever go shopping together? You might be able to steer him over to the men's grooming counter and have the sales associate demonstrate some of the products on his skin. Maybe a lady friend of yours could take him shopping and do a discreet detour at the men's grooming counter?

tvlampboy, I agree that the dermatologist could do a LOT for his condition. But perhaps start with baby steps? Even the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. I'd wager that this guy needs to be gently introduced into something so foreign as skin care. Maybe once he starts using moisturizer and sees slight improvement, he could be coaxed into taking the next step towards major improvement, such as just taking a visit to the dermatologist, and maybe eventually he'll take a bigger plunge, like laser skin resurfacing.

Good luck, it sounds like he could use a little more help in meeting the ladies, and extra grooming could help his case.

Quote Originally Posted by linnea View Post
    Heh!!! That one made me LOL. Of course, a gentleman would not want his friends to compare his face to a boot, but there must be some tactful way to do it. I agree that perhaps buying him a bottle might help...

Also, do dudes ever go shopping together? You might be able to steer him over to the men's grooming counter and have the sales associate demonstrate some of the products on his skin. Maybe a lady friend of yours could take him shopping and do a discreet detour at the men's grooming counter?

tvlampboy, I agree that the dermatologist could do a LOT for his condition. But perhaps start with baby steps? Even the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. I'd wager that this guy needs to be gently introduced into something so foreign as skin care. Maybe once he starts using moisturizer and sees slight improvement, he could be coaxed into taking the next step towards major improvement, such as just taking a visit to the dermatologist, and maybe eventually he'll take a bigger plunge, like laser skin resurfacing.

Good luck, it sounds like he could use a little more help in meeting the ladies, and extra grooming could help his case.
    Glad you seen the funny side to it linnea lol!!