Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Teeth Bleaching-- Gross!

IMHO, nothing makes a "mature" man look older than the hills than a deep tan and gleaming white teeth. I mean REAALY white, unnaturally white teeth. Even if they are real, they look like dentures. Jerry Orbach was a great actor, I thought he was really great, but this one grooming thing that he did was a bad idea, and not to be copied....but it is (sadly).

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teeth Bleaching-- Gross!

I have seen some unfortunate cosmetic dentistry. How on earth do people let their dentists talk them into it? Like Hilary Duff and her Chiclet-sized dental veneers, which she finally got resized after people started making wisecracks about them.

I don't know why people go overboard with bleaching. I do a modest amount - I use bleaching toothpaste (Rembrandt Intense Stain) with a Sonicare toothbrush and everyone remarks on what great teeth I have. The dentist is always amazed that I have zero plaque and calculus on my teeth. But bleaching them to not-found-in-nature levels is just creepy, I agree.

Post Thanks / Like

It reminds me of that episode of Friends where Ross gets his teeth bleached and they glow in the dark.
    I always think they use too much bleach on those makeover shows. I'm quite happy just using a bit of Eucryl. My teeth do stain because I drink so much tea. But I don't want them Osmond white, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Bleaching, fake tans, surgeries... For lazy people.
    You just have to wash your teeth 3 times a day or after you eat and follow some things like don't abuse coffee, don't smoke etc and you'll have white teeth. I do. And if you're fat, please jog and don't get a surgery for it because that's worse than being fat in my books.

Quote Originally Posted by bebe_delia View Post
    Bleaching, fake tans, surgeries... For lazy people.
    You just have to wash your teeth 3 times a day or after you eat and follow some things like don't abuse coffee, don't smoke etc and you'll have white teeth. I do. And if you're fat, please jog and don't get a surgery for it because that's worse than being fat in my books.
    or for people with tetracycline treatments (just one example of many reasons), just because someone went through Dental bleaching doesn't mean they're lazy or shallow.

Done right, it's not bad at all, for people with yellowish teeth they might like to go for 3 shades lighter or less , depending on their natural teeth's color...but too white is very unnatural that's true.

on another note, there are people that are fat because they're sick, like with Cushing's syndrome, or some other disease, so please, do NOT generalize.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bleaching teeth that are naturally/life-affected dark or stained (for any number of reasons) isn't gross at all. Not everyone is blessed with light teeth and if it makes one feel self conscious etc not to have a bright smile as opposed to a dark or yellowish, and the 'cure' is available, why not? We are all not natural beauties and those who are sometimes fail to realize how this can affect those who are not because of the favor this society and perhaps biology itself places on 'beauty;.

Sure, bleaching beyond normal ranges to a refrigerator white looks artificial, but it isn't the norm to do that. People will do most anything to excess.
    Check out what some folks wear and think is great looking..
    Last edited by kbe; 30th September 2007 at 02:30 AM.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, off topic, bebe-delia, but try not to be patronising. Even in healthy people who exercise and watch what they eat, there is some fat that won't shift whatever you do. Everyone is genetically predisposed to store fat in certain places - in my case it goes on my hips and thighs. If I diet, it comes off my face, waist and boobs. I work out like a Spartan and have a lot of sports injuries to show for it. I still have a fat ass. I can starve myself, but I'll have a flat chest and a face like Skeletor before I'll ever get rid of my love handles. Now that there are less invasive types of lipo that don't involve a general anaesthetic and a long period of recovery, it's something I'm thinking about. Not that I have decided, but after trying and failing to get rid of my love handles and jiggly thighs for 20 years through conventional means, I am extremely frustrated. btw, I am a qualified fitness instructor with an interest in nutrition so, chances are, I know what I'm doing.
    PPS jogging is not the best way to lose fat. High intensity training (interval training, supersetting, olympic/power lifting) is the best way to train. People who just do endurance work all the time end up skinny fat - they might look slender but lack muscle mass, so their bodyfat percentage is actually high for their weight. This is a very unhealthy way to be.

As for bleaching, there are some people that definitely need it and can benefit from it, but the problem is when it's taken to extremes. Fridge white is not a good look.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm... Most people aren't fat because they're sick. They're fat because of their life-style. Same with teeth. I understand why Indiscreet would get surgery for instance and I wasn't talking about his case. And jogging isn't even the best way to do cardio, but you expect the person with two bags of KFC and one of McDonalds who stays in front of the TV to go and do power lifting from day one?

Anyway, back to the bleaching. If you brush your teeth after each meal, don't drink coffee or smoke and they still don't get white, then bleaching is ok. I was referring to the case when people take the easy way out(and usually this is the case) so I don't know why all of you got so annoyed. Maybe it sounded different.

Quote Originally Posted by bebe_delia View Post
    And jogging isn't even the best way to do cardio
    lol!!
    Isnt it funny the amount of ppl who make this mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    High intensity training (interval training, supersetting, olympic/power lifting) is the best way to train. People who just do endurance work all the time end up skinny fat - they might look slender but lack muscle mass, so their bodyfat percentage is actually high for their weight. This is a very unhealthy way to be.
    Hmm i dont know about that one. Most PT's i know dont know their HIT to their BCAA lol!!
    Last edited by Pip; 1st October 2007 at 01:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I despair whenever I see the instructors at my local gym induct a newbie - they always show them the machines and have them do isolation exercises.
    No, of course you're not going to show a newbie a 50kg barbell and tell them to hoist it over their head, but you can have them learn the basic movements - deadlift, squat, overhead press, clean, jerk etc - with a broomstick if necessary, until they have the technique down. Then slowly add weight. Isolation exercises are only really useful for rehabbing injuries and reliance on machines is also ineffective as you recruit fewer muscles than with free weights. Compound moves prepare you much better for real life - carrying heavy suitcases and shopping bags; flipping your mattress; moving furniture.
    Many gym goers also think working out (even at sub-optimal levels) gives them free license to eat what they want, as well. One 300 calorie spin class does not equal a 1000 calorie pizza. Sorry.

Ah well.

Teeth, then....

I despair whenever I see the instructors at my local gym induct a newbie - they always show them the machines and have them do isolation exercises.
    No, of course you're not going to show a newbie a 50kg barbell and tell them to hoist it over their head, but you can have them learn the basic movements - deadlift, squat, overhead press, clean, jerk etc - with a broomstick if necessary, until they have the technique down. Then slowly add weight. Isolation exercises are only really useful for rehabbing injuries and reliance on machines is also ineffective as you recruit fewer muscles than with free weights. Compound moves prepare you much better for real life - carrying heavy suitcases and shopping bags; flipping your mattress; moving furniture.
    Many gym goers also think working out (even at sub-optimal levels) gives them free license to eat what they want, as well. One 300 calorie spin class does not equal a 1000 calorie pizza. Sorry.

Ah well.

Teeth, then....
    Agreed with the fear of compounds by non BBers, powerlifters etc. Any pics of your condition?
    If you go to members pics last 2 pages you will see my condition.

Post Thanks / Like

Not yet, Pip - I need to get my fella to take some pics. Of course if I give him a camera he will want to take different sorts of pics entirely, not that I'd let him.
    I'm trying to shed a bit of body fat - I'd like to get a six pack but I do love my food as it means a constant battle. If it helps, I can deadlift 231lbs - not bad for a 40 year old woman who sits at a desk all day. :P

Not yet, Pip - I need to get my fella to take some pics. Of course if I give him a camera he will want to take different sorts of pics entirely, not that I'd let him.
    I'm trying to shed a bit of body fat - I'd like to get a six pack but I do love my food as it means a constant battle. If it helps, I can deadlift 231lbs - not bad for a 40 year old woman who sits at a desk all day. :P
    Lifts mean nothing to me indiscreet. I do bodybuild and i hear ppl saying this and that about their lifts but they dont have the development to match their lifts. Something a bit wrong there IMO. But yeah thats good for a lady who sits behind a desk all day!!

So you didnt comment on my condition? lol!!
    Last edited by Pip; 1st October 2007 at 11:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to see from just those shots but you clearly have some delts and biceps going on there.

It's hard to see from just those shots but you clearly have some delts and biceps going on there.
    Ya obviously missed this one...doh!!:
    Last edited by Pip; 3rd October 2007 at 10:53 PM.

I like my teeth now that they've been bleached. (I had laser bleaching after I quit smoking; this was my little treat to myself for having abandoned the Goddess of Nicotine.)

But, as with my upper lip (all hail Juvaderm!), I asked the doctor to stop short of giving me an unnatural look. (I didn't want "glow in the dark" teeth any more than I wanted an upper lip like Melanie Griffith's. THAT puppy must read "Inflate to 40 lbs." on its underside.)

Bleaching and veneers are just like plastic surgery and injectables in that regard -- too much of a good thing CAN be kinda creepy. The talent lies in knowing when to go and where to stop.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 8th October 2007 at 10:50 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]