Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any advice for a newbie?

Hey gang, my first post here. What a wealth of knowledge, I feel very fortunate to have found this board.

I've recently discovered the world of wet-shaving, and the plethora of quality products available. Now, I'm trying to find a good quality scent to wear. I've recently received some samples from Floris and liked some of them. The others on this list seem to come up regularly on some of the message boards I visit, I was wondering if anyone would give me opinions on what I should spend my hard earned money on. I can't afford to by all of them, so that's why I thought I'd ask some of the pro's on this board.

1. Floris Santal; Like the sample I got, ordered the after shave balm from Floris.
    2. Floris Vetiver; Like the sample I got.
    3. Tam Dao by Diptyque; never sampled, but seems to be popular.
    4. Clean Men; same as above.
    5. Knize Ten; same as above.
    6. English Fern by Penahligon; same as above, also seems hard to get.

Also have samples of Floris No 89 and Elite. I'm not sure how I feel about these, not bad, but I prefer the Vetiver and Santal over them.

Please feel free to make other recommendations. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Any advice for a newbie?

Welcome to the board! And yes, this place IS a wealth of info. Don't be afraid to ask questions and experiment. Trust your nose, but also be willing to take risks. You will have a blast and smell great!

As far as the fragrances below, I am only familiar with Penhaligon's English Fern. I too am into wet shaving and this is one that I have a sample of. Quite honestly, I was excited when I got a sample and really liked it upon first application, but later in the day it got to be a bit much. (I think this is where British Sterling got its inspiration...)

If you like vetivers, you might also want to try Creed's Original Vetiver. There is nothing quite like a nice wet shave, then applying some asb to the face and spritzing the neck and chest with this one. A million bucks never smelled so good. But that is just my two cents.

I too have been eyeing those mentioned on your list, in particular Knize Ten. I have also wanted to try Czech & Speake's No. 88, which is a fave among many on this board.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 29th September 2007 at 04:00 AM.
    You are not your perfume.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome!!

Those are very esteemed fragrances with high retail value and a more complex/unique note compilation. While they are popular to the "pros" on the boards they are not always the best. Some of the best I own are basic and widely used. I would sample those from the list you chose before you go out and buy them. Popularity will put you under if you get in to the habbit of blind buying.

Sample first is my advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone, thanks for the warm welcome. I'd love to find someplace to sample these fragrances, unfortunately, Floris was the only one to send out samples. Do you know if any of the major dept stores sells these? Thanks again for all the advice.

Steve