Code of Conduct

Default Memoire Liquide - Thoughts?

I just went to Henri Bendel to try the new bespoke perfumery line, Memoire Liquide. I had to visit after reading the two features at Now Smell This.

In my experience, it's very, VERY hard to put together a successful blend. The ingredients were there for it; the gourmand, fruit, and woods/spice/incense ranges were the most well-developed, although the tropical range was really enormous, and would probably reward further investigation (which I did not make, beyond sniffing a few gardenias - hugely rich - and their tuberose - buttery - neither of which was to my taste). To be completely honest, I was more than a little disappointed in their florals. I went in looking for a deep, luxurious rose or a pure iris fragrance. I didn't find it (no iris, and most of the roses smelled sort of prim and antique). The rest of the range, however, certainly makes up for it.

In the end, I walked away with a blend of Champagne Mure (sparkling, citrusy blackberry) and Daim Blanc (a very smooth, dry suede accord) with a tiny, tiny touch of Couer de Rose. Another blend I liked, but did not go for, was Gardenia Frais, a slightly more toned-down gardenia, over Perle Lustree, a lilac-tinged musk. I'm still trying to think of how I could have blended their coffee note into something.

Has anyone else taken a look at Memoire Liquide? Were you able to come up with any good blends? How was your experience?

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Default Re: Memoire Liquide - Thoughts?

Thought this thread deserves a bump.

Has anyone else tried Liquide Memoire? Any feedback on quality, style, sillage and longevity will be appreciated. I'm considering sample/decants of Hommage, Souk Nocturne and Soixante Six.

I've tried #3, which is amour liquid if memory serves correctly. this is a strong vanilla note. I compared it to Indult's Tihota, which i loved very much. Amour is a much cheaper version ($95 versus Indult's $250 price tag0

I sprtized this on at the store and wore it home. at the 20 min mark it started to turn 'musty and sour', but then switched tracks and developed into the sensuous vanilla I was looking for. This is one i'll come back to to see if i still like it.

I also liked #5, but i can't remember the name. (I sampled the 1-5 fragrances)

Now, sinse Memoire is based in the state I just paid a butt load of income tax too, i can't help but comparie it to Sonoma Scent Studios. IMO, SSS is better quality, much better quality, for half the price.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Thanks BayKAT. TPC is having a sale on this line, thought I'd score a couple of decants on the cheap.

I have the Souk Nocturne and find it intoxicatingly beautiful. With over 200 samples and decants now it is still to Souk Nocturne that I am turning again and again. It is so rich, mysterious, and wonderful; very resiny, incensy, and unidentifiable. Quality, sillage and longevity are good. It is too exotic to wear to work but perfect for evening, weekend and overnight. At that price (TPC) you really can't lose, anyway! Regards. Leslie
    Last edited by msleslie; 9th April 2010 at 05:21 AM.

I must say I quite like their Cuir Millesime. A Spanish Leather with a surprising sillage.
    Regards,
    Jani

"It is easy to find something to die for. What do you have to live for?"
    The First One.

Basenotes Institution

I tried Encens Liquide yesterday at Nordstroms. It was wonderful dry incense resins, but the dry down was thin, too sweet and sort of imploded on itself.

Blog Entries

Sorry for the stupid question, but is the Memoire Liquide with the giant display of individual ingredients at Bendel's (which I have yet to see working when I've gone there - always out of bottles or the one SA that knows how to do it is off that day) the same Memoire Liquide behind the new-ish scents at Bloomingdales that are packaged to look like books?

Of the Bloomingdales ones, the closest to a winner was the incense one, but that same day I'd already sniffed 2 other new feminine incenses (Kalimantan and Cartier XIII, if memory serves me) which were way better, so I didn't give it much further thought.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Basenotes Institution

I had the same exact question in my head rogalal. I am not sure.

That 'buffet' of scent at Bendel's sort of overwhelmed me when I saw it there. I'd have nose exhaustion just trying 1/10 of the scents. Jeez!

Smile Re: Memoire Liquide - Thoughts?

I went to Henri Bendel over the weekend and was delighted with my experience at Memoire Liquide. They had a dedicated sales associate for the brand who was very well-versed with all of the essential oils and made the whole experience seem fun and not overwhelming. By asking me a few questions he was immediately able to guide me to scents that suited my taste. He created a great blend for me with Vetiver, Daim Blanc and a touch of citrus. I will definitely be visiting him again in the near future.

Vijay Uttam was the name of the sales associate who helped me at Henri Bendel. I just visited over the weekend again to create a signature scent as a Valentine's Day gift for my wife.

Vijay is very helpful and nice. I tried a number of different signature scents the week before Christmas with his assistance @ Bendel's but in the end decided Liquide Memoire Amour was best for me.

Hope your wife enjoys her signature scent!

Basenotes Plus

I've played around with this at Bendel's a few years ago. Theirs are not essential oils but rather, fragrance oils. http://www.nstperfume.com/2007/06/01...stom-perfumes/
    Big difference, most notably EO's are natural, fragrance oils are not. EO's are much more costly than fragrance oils.

I never came away with a blend I loved even after creating & purchasing a custom scent.

This, in my opinion, is overpriced for what it is. You pay primarily for the experience of "playing" with the fragrance oils.

My blend has grown impossibly strong over the past two years. It is unwearable. Therefore, I would be very careful about purchasing any of this product "on sale" from anybody.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Dear RHM,

I would recommend you try Memoire Liquide again. I found Vijay to be very helpful without being overtly pushy. He will even create the mixture and let you try it on so you can experience the dry down to make sure it is exactly what you want. I found the prices of the line to be comparable and sometimes much less than some of the other brands.

Basenotes Plus

Dear Smell Me,
    No thanks. As I posted earlier, I have tried Memoire Liquide. In fact, I own a custom blend from Henri Bendel in NYC. I haven't just explored it once or twice but quite a few times.

However, for some reason, you seem to think I am finding fault with the SA. I am not, not at all. The post was about the product, not the SA. I never, ever, said anything negative about the SA. I commented on my experience with the product.

You are a new member with four posts. All four posts mention Memoire Liquide, I find that to be rather odd. Please be welcomed to basenotes and feel free to introduce yourself.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Hi RHM,

My apologies, I may have misinterpreted your post.

Basenotes Plus

Sure.....

I think posts are very easy to misinterpret. It's more difficult than people realize to be clear in a short span of words.

I meant it when I welcomed you and please do introduce yourself. It's always good to know who we're "talking" to.