Code of Conduct

Default Very interesting info on bogus frags

I was over at the Big Discount warehouse today chatting with Michael Rares, the owner of this established, reliable online fragrance seller. We were talking about frags in general and I mentioned to him that one particular eBay seller is offering Creeds and Angel for women for around $40-$50. He told me that a Chinese wholesaler approached him to buy lots of 1000 bogus frags for around $4 each wholesale and of course he refused. I have known this gentleman and bought only authentic frags from him for many years. His father was one of the original wholesalers of perfumes in the 70's. He was telling me that there seems to be much counterfeiting going on and that China seems to be a prime source. There is one particular eBay seller offering Creeds and Angel for ridiculously low prices and I unfortunately know that they are bogus. Big Discount, Perfumebay, and Imagination Perfumery all are reliable sellers of authentic frags at great prices. Please be cautious particularly when buying Creeds, Chanels and Angel at low prices from unknown sellers. You will get what you pay for!

Default Re: Very interesting info on bogus frags

The Chanels I understand. And I've heard about the "Green Frich Tweed", too.

Still, I was wondering why a lot of Angel is ending up at unauthorized retailers (cough)Weed-Mart(cough) and on not-so-legit sites. And last time I talked to a Clarins Fragrance Group rep, she was noticing it, too. It's probably because Angel is in the top 10 frags in the US (at the #8 position, actually), and is also among the top frags in Europe and the world, making it a prime target for counterfeiters.

You know, maybe these folks who claim that "Angel is now even more toxic than before" bought their bottle from one of the eBay scammers or from some unauthorized sales point?
    Last edited by MFfan310; 29th September 2007 at 11:39 PM.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

My girlfriend has been using Angel EDP for many years. I thought I was getting a great deal when I bought three bottles from an eBay seller for about half the going price. When two of the bottles leaked I took a closer look and noticed some differences between the new bottles and the older ones she had. The seller in question did issue a credit, but it happens to be a seller that is also selling Creeds for less than $50. I guess that either the company which manufactures bottles for some of the top companies is selling them in the black market or they are easier to counterfeit than I figured. The Angel bottle is not exactly a common shape.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

The Chinese counterfeiters are so good at faking the look, feel and packaging of prescription drugs that pharmaceutical company experts have a hard time telling the fake from the real!

Unfortunately the genie is out of the bottle, never to return and anywhere money can be made by supplying counterfeit items they will appear. And convincingly good replicas of the 'look', but not the smell, of course, in the case of fragrances. My oh my..

Thanks for the heads-up Stuigi..
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Ironically I am aware of the many Asian ripoffs of prescription drugs and many other patented products. It is not surprising that there are now many Asian fragrance ripoffs. No disrespect to the Asian people as a whole intended.

Have there been any perfume recalls lately ?
    -

The other frag he mentioned was JPG Le Male.

I recieved a obviously fake bottle of Dior Homme on Ebay. I should have thought twice about it only being $18 for a 3.3oz. Thankfully the seller did refund my money. I immediately went to the mall and picked one up at retail.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    The other frag he mentioned was JPG Le Male.
    I have seen a very popular clone of Le Male... not a counterfeit per se, but an almost identical clone. It says "Blue" on the can instead of "Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male". On the back of the can, it says "www.lemale-ipg.com" instead of the genuine article's "www.lemale-jpg.com". One Basenoter got a bottle of "Blue" as a gift a while back, and he said that it smelled almost identical to Le Male.

Still, it created a hassle for B.P.I. to the point where they now embed "GAULTIER" in raised glass on the upper back of each genuine Le Male bottle.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post

You know, maybe these folks who claim that "Angel is now even more toxic than before" bought their bottle from one of the eBay scammers or from some unauthorized sales point?
    Some fragrances really are toxic. It's been a problem for a long time. Some people have been sensitized to these toxic compounds so much that they can't be around them without having an immediate migraine headache, rapid heart rate or even fainting.

An SA at my local Nordstrom's fragrance department actually had that happen to her, and she told me she had to avoid all mainstream perfumes for 1 year in order to de-sensitize herself. One whiff of a Calvin Clein (or similiar mostly synthetic frag) would almost knock her out sometimes. She had to start wearing more natural perfumes after that.

Some of the chemicals that the mainstream perfume industry have used/are using are a real problem. Thankfully most niche houses don't use these same chemicals. It's a big industry/big corporate problem.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 30th September 2007 at 04:55 PM.

MFfan310- I wrote about the clones last year. These are actual replicas. The embossed "Gaultier" is no real protection because someone could claim to be selling old stock.

Some bogus fragrances you can tell in a second they are fake, some others are really good and you have to test them side by side. But I think by just analyzing the material (labels, glass, packaging) it's quite easy to tell. The best bogus bottle I ever bought was on eBay. It was A*Men, the only problem was it smelled awful right when you sprayed and it lasted about two hours, then it was magically gone. The smell itself was quite close from what I remembered A*Men has to smell. Side by side tests unmasked the fake one right away, though the packaging was excellent (it was the 100ml refill version).
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I recieved a fake Gucci pour Homme from Hong Kong in my earlier internet fragrance shopping days. I remember how puzzled I was when I sprayed it for the first time. It smelled nothing and I mean NOTHING like Gucci pH. But until I sprayed it, there was nothing giving me the impression that it was a fake.

Never got the money back on that one, but the seller got banned from Ebay eventually. It was too cheap to be true, which I learned from that incident.

Some time ago I posted a question related to this topic. I was buying some frags in discount stores in various towns and online. Sometimes I buy them for the purpose of giving a gift to somebody, so I don't open and test every single bottle I buy.
    On some other forums people said that roducing an exact copy that looks/feels like original takes high quality materials and is costly, so it's not worth faking. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I was asking if anyone ever had an experience when the packaging -bottle included - was 100% genuine-like, and yet the frag was a fake.

In my experience fakes were not difficult to identify since there is always something like BOOS or just the quality of the box is bad.

I guess with the technological adancement these days it's harder and harder to tell the difference. Yet, I hate to pay full retail prices for "non-Chanel" brands, so I guess there will always be a risk associated with buying from discount retailers.
    Last edited by Boal; 1st October 2007 at 11:49 AM.

LoL. I actually bought a phony A*men in the Manhattan Chinatown. It smells awsome! Barely distinguishable from the original: from the box to the bottle to the scent itself. It even had one of the forms to join the mugler parfums club, which I sent in, but never got a response...

The best part is that I haggled the guy down from $30 to $18 hehe