Code of Conduct

Default What used to be your holy grail, and then...

For me it used to be Thierry Mugler - A*men for 9 of my 10 years in this addiction. Since my fiery baptism into fragrance, it was my holiest of fragrances. To be honest, I didn't even buy it for myself - got it at the time from who is now my very SO. I tested it many times and threatened to buy the 100ml refillable for myself if he didn't. Then magically it appeared

Now, thanks to Trebor!, it's Chanel - Egoiste. We all know - love/hate relationship with this one. For me, it's LOVE deluxe, as per Sade. I even buy sandalwood incense for the home. I shall be stocking up on this gem (with A*men in the background though...)

Anyone who has made such a significant change?

Default Re: What used to be your holy grail, and then...

L'Eau D'Issey

Used to adore the stuff, got compliments all the time. I guess my taste and personality changed and now I would say that I'm less than a fan. Perhaps it's because I smell it everywhere, or the similarities between the ubiquitous scent of men my age.

JHL and Bois de Portugal used to compete for my devotion, then I met Musc Ravageur and was utterly smitten.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

First, it was Acqua di Gio... then Mugler Cologne killed the beast.

Then, Mugler Cologne was stopped in its tracks by CdG 2 MAN.

Next, CdG 2 MAN was grounded by Gaultier².

Now, Narciso Rodriguez for Him has ejected Gaultier² from power.

Am I the only Basenoter that's gone through five holy grails?
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Off-Scenter

First was Devin. Then came Tuscany Forte. Next was Jaipur Homme EdP. Now I like too many to have a "holy grail."
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 30th September 2007 at 12:48 AM.

Used to be Voleur de Roses. But as I grew familiar with other rose frags (C&S No. 88, for one), I began to notice VdR's shortcomings (too much patchouli).

For now, it's Divine's L'Homme Sage, but I'm sure something else will come along.

Honestly, I can't remember the ones in between. It seems like I have a new "holy grail" every month or so, which leads me to suspect that no holy grail can really exist.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Used to be Voleur de Roses. But as I grew familiar with other rose frags (C&S No. 88, for one), I began to notice VdR's shortcomings (too much patchouli).
    A very acute obervation; a fact which I had noticed upon first testing VdR.
    -

I've gone through so many HGs i lost count...

right now it's Mentafollia (from the Guerlain AA line)
    Last edited by castorpollux; 30th September 2007 at 01:36 AM.

My teen HGs are all lost cases:
    Anaïs Anaïs - grew out of it
    Rive Gauche - lost its magic, possibly due to changes in the formula
    Opium - Coco took its place

The later HGs (Coco, Égoïste, Yohji...) have all stayed with me.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

After sampling the Ambre Sultan I thought it may become my HG. To replace Kouros.

But then I wore Kouros and realised why it is the greatest scent ever made.

Im saving up for Vintage Tabarome right now, thinking it may become my Number one.

But then I wear Kouros and realise it won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by rompip View Post
    After sampling the Ambre Sultan I thought it may become my HG. To replace Kouros.

But then I wore Kouros and realised why it is the greatest scent ever made.

Im saving up for Vintage Tabarome right now, thinking it may become my Number one.

But then I wear Kouros and realise it won't be.
    Yeah, Kouros is weird like that. I still hesitate to wear it often because because of all the cautionary chatter around here. And then I wear it and I think, holy sh-t, why would I ever not want to wear this? And then I go back to convincing myself it's too extreme. I should just get a damn bottle already.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Two of my past "holy grails"- Hermes Bel Ami, Lalique Equus EDP.
    Now? It's a tossup between Bogart Pour Homme and Chanel's Egoiste.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

By strange accident I also had holy grail experiences with Voleur de Roses, followed by L'Homme Sage. Both have not lost their special quality for me, but they are always noticeably 'there'. And in some situations even a flower (delicate as in the above, or deep like in a Montale) can be too prominent, 'too much' as a third something between the ouside and my inner world. Therefore, I believe something more 'neutral', like frankincense, vetiver, or oudh should perhaps be part of another HG: an anchor in some situations, and something to elate me in others, but reduced to zero as LesNez' Antimatière when I need nothing! Maybe that's why the holy grail is an impossibility ?
    Last edited by narcus; 30th September 2007 at 03:25 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

It used to be Chrome - Azzaro, which then evolved to Mugler's Cologne.

Nowdays its LPNo.9 - Penhaligons AND Narciso For Him.

I'm not as far down the fragrance road as some of you guys, but the first frag that I thought could not be bettered was Noir Epices. Then it was Philosykos. Now it's a toss up between Sequoia and SMW.

Is it acceptable to have more than one holy grail scent?! For different occasions perhaps?
    Current favourites: Silver Mountain Water - Terre d'Hermes - Erolfa - Fou d'Absinthe - Sequoia

Used to be Helmut Lang - Cuiron (I owned one or two fragrances before this, and used the exclusively, but I don't call any of those two holy grails). Then what happened was that many years later I discovered internet fragrance shopping, Basenotes and Comme des Garçons - Odeur 53. After that I haven't really got a singualr holy grail anymore. I use Dior Homme a lot and I'm beginning to use Divine l'Homme de Cœur and Ormonde Jayne Ormonde Man just as much, so one of those three could account for my HG I guess.

Edit: Or well, I was more thinking about my signature here. But Chergui is close to my holy grail and so are the two last ones listed above.
    Last edited by shifts; 30th September 2007 at 11:51 AM.

My holy grail was Bvlgari de Aqva Pour Homme but it has ONLY just been edged out by Narciso Rodriguez For Him.

I adore them both equally..

I have gone from..

1.Jazz
    2.Boss sport
    3.GBH red
    4.Carolina Herrera
    5.D&G ph which is my current holy grail

My first holy grail was Royal English Leather, and from there on I've just been piling 'em up. BdP, Sandalo, Acqua di Colonia - call it a case of parzivalitis.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    a.

That's not a shortcoming if you happen to like patchouli!
    Last edited by Snafoo; 30th September 2007 at 02:36 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

the closest I've come to holy grail scents....

1) Agatha Brown's Conquest - wonderful amber/warm/cozy/blend that absolutely vanished on my skin

2) Diptyque's Eau Lente - excellent fragrance, couldn't really situate it in a social setting..unfortunately

current: my warm weather holy grail is Philsykos.. and my cool weather HG is Patricia Di Nicolai's NY.... they both contain everything I love about scents.

a.

Blog Entries

Pre-basenotes, I had adored ck be for many years. Then I found Clinique Happy for men & I loved it sooo much. It made me realize I had been ignoring a whole realm of frags all my life. Then I found basenotes & was immediately introduced to Silver Mountain Water & Original Vetiver. I didn't think it could get ANY better than this! Eventually, Mugler Cologne won my affection over OV & I was spending more & more time with a couple new loves: Bvlgari Black & Lolita Lempicka au masculin. Then, an awesome basenoter sent me a decant of Musc Ravageur, & it totally won me over.

Of course, I can't just have ONE holy grail. It's more like I have perfect scents for certain situations.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

In the 80's I bathed in Van Cleef & Arpels. It was great accompaniment to my excessive lifestyle. During the 90's I lost interest in fragrance. I always had a bottle or two around, but didn't actively pursue anything in particular. My fascination re-ignited with the discovery of Serge Lutens and Arabie was almost a Holy Grail scent.**
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 2nd October 2007 at 04:47 AM.

My HG is, and always will be, Patou PH.

However, Divine PH Sage, vintage Tambarome, BDP and Cuba SMN come in as very close seconds.

Funny thing is, I rarely wear any of them. It's almost as if I'm afraid their beauty will become too familiar if I wear them too often. They are 'special occasion" scents only.

My very first holy grail scent was Frapin - 1270.

More than 350 fragrance samples and samplings later and still nothing has relieved Frapin of it's holy grail status in my collection.
    Last edited by matreal; 1st October 2007 at 07:27 AM.

Once upon a time my holy grail used to be the piney-ashtray that is Polo Green.

Nowadays I like too many fragrances to have a holy grail .. I have holy grails for each "note" I guess...iris (Dior homme), sandalwood (Santal Imperial/Bois de Santal), etc..
    Last edited by zztopp; 1st October 2007 at 07:37 AM.
    -

Still searching,but in good position Mark Birley and Sportissimo Galimard
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Still searching and there are so many that I love right now. The amazing thing is the great variety that we're getting in this post, which is a testament to the individuality of perfume and our preferences.

Basenotes Institution

I (just like Vibert) had Devin by Aramis as my 1st HG scent. I don't have a HG scent anymore...