Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2x3 Blind Sniff Round 5 Chypres

Or, like it used to be on NST "He says, she says...."! We all know that autumn is a perfect season for wearing chypres, with their sharp top notes and woody-mossy soft base, just like the leaves under your feet, though autumn is lurking somewhere in Europe this year, not here yet!

Purplebird7 is still resolving her computer situation, and I will be quoting her here:
    My samples are not hard to guess. I tried to focus on Chypres that people should know because they are important in some way.

Not only 2 people will be posting their impressions -- Indiscreet and MikePerez, we are also deviating from the usual niche, department store and drugstore pattern here. All three samples in Round 5 are designer fragrances and they are all chypres, each is beautiful and different from the other two! Remember the standard composition: bergamot (other citrus), herbs --> floral heart --> oakmoss, woods with hundreds of other notes interwoven and glimmering as accents.

I encourage everybody to participate in guessing. If you think you know what fragrances are being described but not sure, or for the reasons of sportsmanship, you can pm me your answer. Multiple guesses are also welcome. One can also ask about the similarities of the fragrance in question with other chypres you know and love.

Default Re: 2x3 Blind Sniff Round 5 Chypres

I must admit, my knowledge of mainstream scents is not all that great - I'm a bit of a perfume newbie, having been on Basenotes less than a year. I'm still learning!

Sample A then...
    Sharp green opening - galbanum? Something a little animalic too, and maybe iris? It's quite astringent on my skin to begin with.
    After a while it softens to a lovely jasmine. There are other flowers here, but my nose isn't doing a great job of distinguishing them. Maybe a hint of rose?

I'm going to have a stab at No.19.

No, not Chanel # 19!

On the contrary, dear Indiscreet, all the notes identified so far -- galbanum, jasmine, rose and "something animalic" in the drydown -- are present in A!

What is A's general character?
    Is it sweet at all?
    EdT or EdP?
    Long lasting?
    Any images or associations?
    Last edited by Twolf; 30th September 2007 at 04:58 PM.

Initially quite sharp and green...then softer and floral...and now green again, but a cool green (moss, I'd guess) with a hint of something sweet...vanilla, perhaps...but whatever it is, it's faint.

I'd say EDP but it's hard to say. A lot of stuff doesn't last on me...for instance, Angel EDP, which some people can't scrub off, lasts only a couple of hours, while Poison EDT lasts all day.
    Sample A has lasted thus far, but is very close to my skin, with no sillage to speak of.

I see... According to purplebird7 some people have reported narcissus and leather in this one.

How would you compare A with Aromatics Elixir and Ivoire (I see some eyebrows raised here, as Ivoire is also classified as green floral!) that are in your permanent wardrobe?

I don't get any leather from this at all. Narcissus? Maybe.
    And it certainly doesn't resemble AE, which is a warm scent - this is a cool scent. It's definitely nothing I'd choose to wear.
    Likewise, Ivoire is sweeter and lighter. I'd say Ivoire is a floral with a hint of green. This is green with a hint of floral.

Indiscreet, No. 19 was your first guess and you're describing it as "green with a hint of floral". I gather it must definitely be a green chypre?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Well I'm not sure...I'm rather sensitive to "green."
    It's probably classed as a floral chypre. I can certainly smell a lot of fat jasmine at the heart.

We are on a right track, ladies! Mikeperez will join us on Tuesday, since tomorrow is Black Monday!
    :toppie:

Notes so far are not inconsistant with either Vent Vert or Private Collection, but neither of those are known for subtle sillage and both say green to me louder than they say floral.

May I humbly suggest we suspend the guessing until Tuesday, in order to give mikeperez a fair chance to describe his impressions?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Well, it turns out I'm allergic to sample A...I've got a little rash. Fortunately I have some steroid cream left over from my reaction earlier in the year. Anyway, I will not be testing sample A again so I'll leave it to Mike to add his input.

Ma Griffe??
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for your patience ladies. I will be actually sampling Sample A tonight, since I see Indiscreet has started and I don't want to make everyone wait until Tuesday...

God, I hope my session with A is not rash inducing. Ick!

If I had to guess wildly at what A is totally based upon Indiscreet's wonderful note detections that were confirmed, I'd say Miss Dior. But DONT TELL ME if I'm right, until I've had a chance to sniff them tonite.

Gotta take a shower now, I was window shopping at Neimans and I positively reek of the new Gucci (which is snuggly gourmand/amber good)...scrubbing, scrubbing...

Oh, I sniffed something while shopping yesterday, that sounds just like what Indiscreet described. PM'ing Twolf my guess.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Basenotes Institution

OK - at the top notes, A reminds me very strongly of Private Collection (Estee Lauder) however as was previously mentioned, PC is strawng! And A isn't.

I also get the green vs. floral thing - but I get no narcissus (I kinda hate narcissus...). I do get leather but it pulses in the background (back and forth) in a Caron (Tabac Blond) sort of way, just not too 'dominatrix'-y.

So, since it's been a while since I've smelled Miss Dior, I'm gonna guess Miss Dior?

A is not aldehyde-ish enough to be Caleche by Hermes? And it's not animalic enough to be Paloma Picasso. Plus Caleche and PP are deep gold in color and A is yellow-ish, pale (like Miss Dior is...). I was also thinking it might by Y by YSL, but Y is kinda greenish in color, no?

I haven't smelled Ma Griffe (Taolady's guess...)

I'm headed to bed...I will pick this up where I left off on Tuesday (tomorrow is Bulgari Black Day) - that is, unless I guessed correct?!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st October 2007 at 02:16 AM.

Could be cruel and let us all hang till Tuesday, but I am not!

Congratulations to Mike, well done!

Quoting purplebird7:

Please save the following text to cut and paste:

Sample A - Miss Dior
    Official notes by Christian Dior: sage, gardenia, galbanum, rose, neroli, jasmine, oakmoss, patchouli, labdanum.
    This fragrance was selected because it, more than any other perfume today, represents what the Chypre de Coty formula was all about. Miss Dior has the strong, sweet, mossy, unforgettable aroma of a true old-school chypre. I will miss this terribly when it is gone.
    Unoffocial notes probably include bergamot, and some people have reported narcissus and leather.

In regard with other guesses: My Griffe is close, IMHO (green and herbal and bit dryer on me) and Y has a distinct peach note missing in Miss Dior.

Good job all, thanks for your efforts! And sorry to hear about your rash, Indiscreet, hope it can be avoided with the other two! (Totally OT: remember Riannon's cure against perfume induced rashes among non newbies? ) Agree with Mike calling your note detecting skills wonderful. (((( A hug for you )))).

Odd that I had a reaction - I have worn other Diors for years with no problems (Diorissimo in my teens, and now Poison and Hypnotic Poison). Maybe it's the oakmoss! (I'd hope not though as I wear Mitsouko without problem also).

Congrats to Mike.

Basenotes Institution

Great! That was easy, huh Indiscreet? We make a good team! You sniff the notes (simultaneously getting a rash) and I take your notes and identify the scent. Sounds good to me!

Seriously - Miss Dior is a pretty great scent. I think it takes all of the best parts of Private Collection and Tabac Blond and gives them both to you. I must agree - we're talking about a classic chypre here ladies. This stuff will be wearable in 2107. I wish it lasted longer...did Dior ever make a parfum of this? If so, I'd love to smell it.

Okay - onto Round 2 with B tomorrow! :bounce:

Indiscreet sweetie...I'm saying a little prayer that the evil oakmoss (or whatever it is) isn't in B or C.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st October 2007 at 05:57 PM.

Evil oakmoss is the reason many of us love Chypres

I hope so too! It's not bad though - I'm sure I'll be ready for action tomorrow.

Basenotes Institution

OK so I applied B this morning - my first thoughts:

- Floral top notes (not green like Miss Dior) - I'm thinking tuberose or some other white flower
    - My mom used to wear (when I was a kid) Norell and Jontue a lot - I think she even wore Tabu. B has something in the top notes that remind me of these three scents. But since we're guessing a 'Designer' scent I'm assuming these 3 can't be B.
    - A slight powdery effect lasts for a short while and then fades.
    - This smells American...not French. I can't say why. It's just a feeling
    - Not much leather or 'dark' notes in this one...perhaps oakmoss but light oakmoss notes
    - Something in the drydown reminds me of Cabochard by Gres

The color is pale - perhaps the color of champagne.

Here's the thing - it is about mid 90 degrees here in Miami and about 100% humidity. The scent of B was loud-and-clear in my car but when I arrived to the office my office air conditioner is being serviced so it's hot and sweltering here. The scent of B has literally been eaten up by the humidity...so I'm gonna have to wait until tonight to reapply the rest of my sample (at home) to give you ladies another take on B.

Indiscreet sweetie...how're you doing with B??

I'm trying it when I get home, after I've had my post-gym bath. Then I'll be able to give it my full attention.

Basenotes Institution

Hey TWolf - is B a Chanel fragrance?

No, not from Chanel.

I will try to reread mikes' first message and comment:
    Floral top -- quite right, only preceded by bergamot overload, what particular flowers can you pick out?
    General: Something familiar to everyone;
    Slightly powdery? Not in the least on me! What in your opinion produces this powdery effect: woods, florals, vanilla, aldehydes?
    American? No, it is French, although popular in the USA as well as the whole world;
    Not much leather or 'dark' notes? -- Scent B is different on me -- can be butch and can be mellow.
    Something in the drydown reminds me of Cabochard by Gres -- What is this? May I say leather? or total coolness? or something else?

I get floral, but with a dirty undercurrent. Does it have narcissus? (I've just applied it so it's not dried down yet). Maybe honeysuckle...and a hint of rose. Just waiting for it to develop.
    Last edited by Indiscreet; 2nd October 2007 at 06:42 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    No, not from Chanel.

I will try to reread mikes' first message and comment:
    Floral top -- quite right, only preceded by bergamot overload, what particular flowers can you pick out?
    General: Something familiar to everyone;
    Slightly powdery? Not in the least on me! What in your opinion produces this powdery effect: woods, florals, vanilla, aldehydes?
    American? No, it is French, although popular in the USA as well as the whole world;
    Not much leather or 'dark' notes? -- Scent B is different on me -- can be butch and can be mellow.
    Something in the drydown reminds me of Cabochard by Gres -- What is this? May I say leather? or total coolness? or something else?
    I thought the floral top notes were white flowers...but now maybe I'm thinking it was honeysuckle after Indiscreets suggestion. But, let me say, I have a problem detecting mimosa and everytime I smell mimosa I think it's honeysuckle. So maybe I'm detecting mimosa in the top notes?

Powdery effect is brought on by the florals, I think.

French scent (but not Chanel) huh?

Drydown that resembles Cabochard is not leather - but maybe castoreum or moss (or both?)

Is it by Balenciaga?

The drydown is cooler and greener. I detect moss and possibly vetiver.
    I'm going to take a wild stab at Rive Gauche.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    The drydown is cooler and greener. I detect moss and possibly vetiver.
    I'm going to take a wild stab at Rive Gauche.
    Ooh - if it is Rive Gauche that'd be surprising because I thought I hated RG and I kinda like 'B'.

I get castoreum too from B. And a few florals present in the official set of notes have been mentioned, among them rose, mimosa and white flowers (here it is tuberose and orange blossom).

Does it smell modern at all? A new chypre like, perhaps, Agent Provocateur? Or, does it smell classy? Or, rather, does it belong to the powerhouse 80's category?
    What images do you get while wearing B?
    Is it possible to be worn by a man?
    Does it smell like anything you had worn before? What is different in B as comapred to the chypres you know?
    If A was selected by purplebird7 as the one closest to the original Chypre de Coty, what do you think was the reason behind B's selection?

No, neither Balenciaga, nor Rive Gauche.
    Last edited by Twolf; 3rd October 2007 at 05:37 AM.

Jolie Madame??
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

No, sorry.

I haven't yet learned to identify castoreum, but I guess that was the "something dirty" I smelled initially.
    As I said, I'm still very much a novice - I wouldn't recognise a lot of the big fragrances (as I demonstrated by failing to recognise Miss Dior - I did smell this once, long ago when I was working on the perfume counter in Boots. I didn't like it, so exiled it from my memory. The ones I bought were Diorissimo and Mitsouko).
    So I guess I got white flowers, sorta.
    I find this one more pleasant than Miss Dior but still nothing I would want to wear.

Sonia Rykiel Le Parfum????

No, not Sonia Rykiel which is reddish yellow in color, fruitier and has rubbery-dusty smelling moss which brings it into the same family with Femme de Rochas!

While Miss Dior is dry, cool (no wonder some thought it was Chanel or Lancome O!) and powdery with gentle and soft "retro" feel in the drydown, B is sweet and feels more contemporary, on a good day I get marvellous rose and honeyed tobacco from it! :brolly:

Please try to answer some of the questions in my post # 30.
    --------------------------------------
    I guess, I should add that B is a favorite with me, has always been in my top 20 and one of the few fragrances that I have been owning in EdT, EdP and pure perfume. (Taolady, you sent me a bottle of perfume last fall, and please pm me your guess or post your comment here without giving out the identity of B!)

As a clue, here is the answer to one of the questions I asked last night: purplebird7 has chosen it because it is a very popular chypre and many people have heard of it!
    Last edited by Twolf; 3rd October 2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post

Does it smell modern at all? A new chypre like, perhaps, Agent Provocateur? Or, does it smell classy? Or, rather, does it belong to the powerhouse 80's category?
    What images do you get while wearing B?
    Is it possible to be worn by a man?
    Does it smell like anything you had worn before? What is different in B as comapred to the chypres you know?
    If A was selected by purplebird7 as the one closest to the original Chypre de Coty, what do you think was the reason behind B's selection?

No, neither Balenciaga, nor Rive Gauche.
    It does NOT smell modern (or as they say pink chypre) - no I don't get this...I get more floral chypre. It smells contemporary, not luxury or 80's powerhouse.
    Images: My mom (smile) I mean this in a good way...the nectar of a flower...the color yellow...
    I think B is for a woman - I feel extremely in touch with my feminine side wearing B.
    The difference in B (compared to the chypres I know) is perhaps...an absence of aldehydes to my nose...and maybe a touch of sweetness at the top notes
    I think purplebird chose B because it is a good example of a floral chypre, no?

I can reapply more TONITE, if Indiscreet doesn't guess it by then. I am at work now and I can't smell like a floral chypre at this very moment.

Is it Caleche by Hermes?

Not Caleche.

The rose in B is similar to that in L'Arte de Gucci or Coty Rose Jaqueminot, red, lush and opulent.

Do you guys get any spices? Amber?

Basenotes Institution

I just looked at your posts above and realized that you confirmed it does have mimosa...so that asumption I had that to MY nose mimosa smells like heliotrope also goes for Indiscreet's nose too. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Is it Knowing by Estee Lauder?

Could it be Guerlain's Champs-Elysées?
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lievje View Post
    Could it be Guerlain's Champs-Elysées?
    It can't be CE, can it? I thought CE had a little melon in the top notes, and B ain't got no melon.

Obviously, I didn't sniff it, I was just trying. But if there's no melon, it's wrong.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Basenotes Institution

I just realized that it can't be Knowing, because you already said B was from a French line...my bad.

Is it Coriandre by Jean Couturier (is that the correct spelling?)?

summer means fireflys

Here's my wild guess: Paloma Picasso?

It sort of fits with the mimosa and rose, and I maybe could get some tobacco from it if I tried hard ... It sometimes comes off very butch to me, not the softer floral that Mike describes.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    Here's my wild guess: Paloma Picasso?

It sort of fits with the mimosa and rose, and I maybe could get some tobacco from it if I tried hard ... It sometimes comes off very butch to me, not the softer floral that Mike describes.
    I doubt it - PP doesn't have orange blossom or mimosa in its 'official notes' - and I think the juice of PP is more goldish - not the pale yellow 'champagne' color of B. Yes PP is a floral chypre, but I don't think its B.

Twolf...sweetie? You out there?!

We got a winner! Finally! I thought we never will and I did not want to give unnecessary clues, because purplebird7 asked me to concentrate on the notes!

Congratulations to Shadesofbleu with the correct guess of Paloma Picasso also known as Mon Parfum. Here is what purplebird7 has to say about it:

Sample B - Paloma Picasso
    Official notes by Paloma Picasso: rose, tuberose, pittosporum, mimosa, plum, melon, marigold, jasmine, clove, bay, orris, lily of the valley, patchouli, orange flower, ylang-ylang, oakmoss, vetiver, sandalwood, amber, musk, vanilla.
    This fragrance was selected because it is the only chypre that most people have ever smelled. Ask most department stores to produce a Chypre, and this is what they offer. Ironically, it is from the 80s and is on its way out, replaced by the new "pink" chypres, which stray far from the intent of the original Chypre de Coty formula. Paloma Picasso insisted upon keeping the formula true to her intent, without relenting to marketing pressure.
    Unofficial notes include bergamot, coriander, hyacinth, angelica, cilantro, citrus, neroli, rosewood, geranium, civit, and castoreum.
    I think this is strongly animalic and would agree that there is civit and castoreum.

It was my SotD for our Chypre S'n'S and it is the one that only 50 per cent MUAers will buy again, which, technically, means that half people love it and the other half hate it. As for the color, it is different for EdT, EdP and perfume and I am not sure which concentration is B. Personally, I am not too fond of EdP and my choice would be a drop of perfume with a few spritzes of EdT.

Somehow it is not very cheap with e-discounters, but the good news is that the EdT version could be bought at Marshall's for 19.99 for 30 ml and it often goes on sale there even cheaper than that. Which is not very good news by itself -- are they selling the leftover stock to never replenish it? I do not know, tell us if you do!

We got C left. If we cannot guess it fairly fast, Taolady will be my backup because I am leaving on vacation early Friday morning to be back in about one week.

well done shadesofbleu

i hope you have a wonderful vacation twolf!

Paloma Picasso? That's interesting - I smelled that recently in a department store but it didn't leave much of an impression. I'd heard it was quite full on and dirty, which it wasn't on the paper strip I sniffed. On me I got that initial sense of something not quite nice lurking beneath the surface, but that faded quickly and it was just a fairly tame floral with a greenish dry down. Hmm.

Basenotes Institution

Yay for shades! Thanks girl, for proving me wrong.

Ironically - my mom had a bottle of Paloma Picasso that she hardly ever wore (I think someone gifted it to her) and remember I said that B reminded me of my mom...duh.

Yeah - and the color was throwing me too...the gold must've been the parfum, and perhaps we're testing the EdT.

Onto C!

The vials are also the reason that the colors DO seem lighter. Those who decant a lot have probably noticed that any particular fragrance appears much darker in the regular bottle than in a sample vial.

I guess you're right, Twolf!
    I'll be cracking open C tonight.

Basenotes Institution

C -

Juice is slightly paler yellow than B (not more than a hair...) and top notes are green and floral (both in equal measures).

Again, a feeling like I've smelled this scent before. Of course, my first scent that came to mind was a non-chypre: that Elizabeth Taylor scent...is it Diamonds or Emerald & Diamonds...but that can't be it. I remember smelling Cabotine and it reminding me of that instantly also...so it must be the florals that are alike.

The moss in this smells JUST like Cabochard. The top notes smelled like an 'American' scent but the drydown smells very French. I'm confused.

I don't want to guess yet...until Indiscreet posts her thoughts.

If you want my opinion, you are doing very good, Mike! Definitely close to Cabochard, and not by moss only.

Probably my last post before vacation, I will check in the morning and then try to log on from the library. You are in good hands, Taolady's!

I must admit I was a bit rushed last night so only dabbed some on before I got to bed. There was a little "green" at first but it faded quickly. What I got then was overwhelmingly leather. Not saddles or cavalry officer's boots, but posh handbags. I got a little violet too. Violet is something I usually detest because it's often too sweet and reminds me of those horrible parma violet candies you could get in the 70s and 80s. However, it's not sickly in this - it blends into the leather note. (Then again, the fact it doesn't repulse me could mean I'm wrong about the violet - it could be something else giving a violetty impression!)
    Is there mandarin in this?

No mandarin, hon', but the rest is all there: non sweet violets and nicely done high quality leather. Way to go, dear Indiscreet, you can do it girl!

I wasn't sure on the mandarin - it didn't jump out at me but then I can't smell it in REL either, so it was more a question to rule it out than anything.
    Edit: Blind stab in the dark - Jolie Madame?
    Last edited by Indiscreet; 5th October 2007 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Basenotes Institution

Is it Ma Griffe by Carven?

Smile Re: 2x3 Blind Sniff Round 5 Chypres

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    I wasn't sure on the mandarin - it didn't jump out at me but then I can't smell it in REL either, so it was more a question to rule it out than anything.
    Edit: Blind stab in the dark - Jolie Madame?
    Some stab!! WE GOT A WINNAH!!! You guys are good!!

Here's the notes from The Bird:

Sample C - Jolie Madame

Official notes by Pierre Balmain: petitgrain, clove, neroli, jasmine, orange flower, violet, tuberose, lilac, oakmoss, patchouli, tobacco, and cedar.

This fragrance was selected because it is another classic, but one which hardly anyone has ever smelled. More than any other perfume, I think this one deserves a re-launch.

Everyone, male and female, young and old, reacts positively to it. All that is left is the EDT concentration.

Unofficial notes include artemesia, gardenia, corriander, jonquil, orris, leather, vetiver, castoreum, and civit.

I agree that this fragrance has strong leather or tobacco notes.

Congrats to The Bird (hope she'll be back with us soon - this sucks!) for some great choices - to you sniffers who must have established some kind of record for guessing and especially to Indiscreet who brought down the prey!!!

I am now going out and get me some Jolie Madame!!

Yay! I thought it was by far the nicest of the three. Even though I'm not wild about violet, I love leather, and this was especially leathery. Maybe one for me to investigate further!

OMG I logged in for the first time since the Mean n' Green Round, and you guys just guessed the Chypres!
    You guys are AWESOME. You sniffed out the notes and the identies so well.
    BRAVO! I am impressed.
    I hope you enjoyed the samples. Like I said in the beginning, they are "Three You Should Know" meaning, everyone should know these three for their impact on the genre.
    I even missed a thread on the Revenge of Chypres by Magnifiscent.
    (Don't even get me started on the subject of reformulation.)
    Holy moly, you people are teriffic.
    BIG THANKS to Twolf for moderating that for me.
    By the way, I need to buy a whole new computer.
    Bummer.
    That will put a dent in my perfume budget.
    Tried a new motherboard, a new power source, different hard drive, and the Dell is still dead. What has it been? A month now?
    Anyway, great job, everybody.
    Gotta go run to the Chypre thread before I log off.
    Hello to everyone, again.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 6th October 2007 at 02:00 PM.

summer means fireflys

NIce to see you Chris! You did a good job with the three samples. Best of luck with a new computor ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu