Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Alt Innsbruck Eau de Cologne

This is a question for our Austrian members in particular, perhaps. Has anybody tried this? It's an old traditional after shave / cologne containing natural tobacco oil and menthol only. Manufactum offers it, and so does FIF (much more expensive there, though). At 13 Euros for 100ml I might just order it blind, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 30th September 2007 at 11:38 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Alt Innsbruck Eau de Cologne

I was interested in this (mostly because of the name) when it first popped up on FIF. I asked them when they will be offering samples of this and got the answer from the boss himself that the bottle is so cheap they won't offer samples. Never, never, never. That was it for me then.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 30th September 2007 at 12:05 PM.
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

Post Thanks / Like

So, this was my wife's fragrant Christmas present. What can I say: it is divine. But you have to keep a few things in mind:

1. It is a barbershop product: meant to be applied to the skin, where the menthol has a strong bracing-cooling effect.
    2. It is a "soliflore." Once the menthol fades,which happens rather quickly, you have linear tobacco.
    3. It is an all-natural scent, thus not just linear, but without monster sillage or projection. But you do get a nose-pleasing close-to-the-body gentlemanly scent which is to die for.
    4. It will ruin your enjoyment of "Tabac Original" forever, which reveals just how cheap an industrial-age mass product it is compared to this emblem of quality.

I never imagined that tobacco could smell so good. I'm not sure whether this is a blend of different tobacco oils, but there is the distinct honey-sweetness of tobacco blossom, in a manner that puts Boellis Panama to shame. I enjoy it more than Acqua di Cuba even, to be honest. If I smelled this blind I would also guess there were subtle jasmine and leather (castoreum?) notes here, but all it is is tobacco - ringing testimony to the complexity of natural oils. Last but not least Alt-Innsbruck is amazingly persistent for a natural EdC (6 hours and no sign of fading). I think this stuff is amazing, and it's 15 Euros for a 100ml glass bottle (splash). Eat that, $250 niche-perfumers .

Gentlemen: you must have it - if you can trust somebody who introduced himself to this forum as one who likes "natural smelling" perfumes and might just - that is my current mood anyhow - wind up, after so many hundred bottles of "designer", "niche" and whatever, in the arms of a natural perfumer - metaphorically speaking .

http://images.manufactum.de/manufact...il/64594_1.jpg
    Last edited by the_good_life; 26th December 2008 at 03:01 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Alt Innsbruck and Tabac products are both well liked on wetshaving (where you shave with a shaving brush and double edge or straight razor) forums. I've never tried either though.

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you just take the money out of my pocket t_g_l?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, the way I see it, for better than niche, I could eat the 50-euro international shipping fee and still come out ahead. Or better yet, at the Basenotes London get-together, I could buy a cheap bag, load it up, and bring home enough to pay for it by spreading some around. No matter what, I would hate to pass up a good smoke!

I wonder if this one makes enough of a return to have gotten into Colonial Drug's lineup...my other option.

Is anybody seeing this one on shelves in jolly old England?

Does manufactum ship to the U.S.? Would that cost much. I've been looking for a tobacco scent and this sounds great.

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered some. About time somebody bought me some Eau de Cologne .
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ibarney5 View Post
    Does manufactum ship to the U.S.? Would that cost much. I've been looking for a tobacco scent and this sounds great.
    superlather.com has it if you are in the U.S.

Another store that has it in the US is razorandbrush.com

Thanks t-g-l and cvac for the tip. This has moved to the top of my must try list. Sounds great. I love tobacco notes.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 26th December 2008 at 05:41 PM.

Ok, I just ordered some too.

The stuff is made very close to where I live, but I have never seen it in any shops.
    BNIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, LIDGE, Bentley Intense, DH, Vintage Rive Gauche pH, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Obsession, etc.:
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Post Thanks / Like

I just found the producer's homepage:
    http://www.66-60.com/index.php?optio...tpage&Itemid=1

They ship at no cost (!), but only to a handful of European countries:
    "Belgien, Dänemark, Deutschland, Griechenland, Italien, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Niederlande, Österreich, Portugal und Spanien"
    My Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like

100ml bottle for 13,80 Euro inclusive shipping?
    Well, that's a no brainer.
    Just ordered a bottle.
    Menthol or not.
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

Alt Innsbruck is a well regarded aftershave on many a wetshaving board.

http://www.manufactum.com/Produkt/19...ftershave.html

A short review/comment

Quote Originally Posted by Gruder View Post
    There's only one scent in Alt-Innsbruck -- "Nicotiana tabacum," or tobacco. Think tobacco leaves, though, not cigarettes. To me, it smells quite similar to a walk through a barn where tobacco leaves are hung to cure. It also may help to know that AI has but 4 ingredients as listed on the bottle: alcohol, water, tobacco, and menthol. It's simple, but quite effective and very pleasant smelling. YMMV, of course.
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpos...1&postcount=16

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I'm in too!

Just bought a 100ml plastic 'refill' bottle at superlather.com for $20 plus shipping.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

This may be a silly question, but what is the best method for applying after-shave splash like this?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great and I am in as well - just placed an order and will share my impressions when I get it.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

This may be a silly question, but what is the best method for applying after-shave splash like this?
    I personally will fill me a 8ml spray decant.
    I always fill me a spray atomizer or Roll On when it's a splash bottle.
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

Post Thanks / Like

I am with dr. creed. I bought a bunch of pipettes and atomizers from AccessoriesForFragrances. I dedicate a pipette and an atomizer to each of my splash bottles. I decant into the atomizer and apply the fragrance by spraying it rather than splashing it.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

The ingredients list sounds like AI is a great frag for beginning natural perfumer
    Alcohol, water distilled, tobacco absolute and menthol...
    Still, I better buy a bottle

Thanks, T_G_L for the info and link!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Ok, thanks for the advice and suggestions. Picked up the $20 Alt Innsbruck from SuperLather and a 10 ml atomizer from Accessories.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks for the advice and suggestions. Picked up the $20 Alt Innsbruck from SuperLather and a 10 ml atomizer from Accessories.
    The menthol effect is a good deal more intensive when spraying .
    My Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I just found the producer's homepage:
    http://www.66-60.com/index.php?optio...tpage&Itemid=1
    What is the name of the house that produces Alt Innsbruck?

Is the proper name 66-60 Alt Innsbruck Eau de Cologne?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    What is the name of the house that produces Alt Innsbruck?

Is the proper name 66-60 Alt Innsbruck Eau de Cologne?
    That would be the full name, and the producer is "Kosmetikerzeugung [Cosmetic Production] Reinhold Neuner" - quite a small scale operation, obviously.
    My Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    That would be the full name, and the producer is "Kosmetikerzeugung [Cosmetic Production] Reinhold Neuner" - quite a small scale operation, obviously.
    Thanks, the_good_life!

I have updated my spreadsheet.

Do you have any idea what year this fragrance was first manufactured?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Alt Innsbruck Eau de Cologne

I, too, have taken the plunge and ordered a bottle of AI from superlather. If T_G_L gets excited about a product, I want to experience it for myself.

By the way, T_G_L, if I were you, I'd be contacting Mr. Superlather for my commission on all these sales! Thanks for the tip, T_G_L, and for the U.S. source, cvac!

Somebody needs to put this in the directory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I splurged for one of the "vintage" bottles, since I'm one of the "bottle matters" types. But I will definitely go the atomizer route, since splashes are in the greatest danger of going bad.

Of course, something composed of water, alcohol, tobacco, and menthol should theoretically last without decomposition until the day when humans are hairless, eusocial creatures who have banned menthol and forgotten what the word "tobacco" means.

Thanks for this great steer, TGL. I look forward with great anticipation to this purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

Being from austria, my bottle already arrived. Heavy glass, 100ml splash.

First impression: only light menthol topnotes with the overall impression: funky!
    Quite faint and light, definitely no Lutens strength here, but that was obvious.
    The menthol has now mostly gone, still some is noticable, it definitely gives some freshness to the virginia tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum). It is surprisingly quite sweet, almost gourmand.
    Definitely a good purchase for this price class. Thanks to the_good_life for posting.
    If I don't forget, I will test this tomorrow as SOTD.
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

Yup, mine arrived today, too. It's made in a town (Hall in Tirol) about 10km away from me - my wife laughed at me for not just going there and picking it up. But hey, delivery was free.

I ordered both the "Eau de Cologne" and the "Pre- und Aftershave Emulsion", and have just tried the former. Dr. Creed is right: this is very faint stuff. I'm smelling my scent from last night (Racine) more than the freshly applied Alt Innsbruck. And, yes, sweeter than I had anticipated, with a very reserved (muted?) tobacco. Actually, I'm mostly getting a barber shop vibe from it so far, a clean, old-world, tonic-y kind of smell, with a hint of almond. Let's see how it progresses.
    BNIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, LIDGE, Bentley Intense, DH, Vintage Rive Gauche pH, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Obsession, etc.:
    (swaps)
    (sales)

Post Thanks / Like

I received my 'refill' bottle today.

The fragrance is wonderful - a light but heady tobacco. For an Eau de Cologne, it is persistent. I keep thinking it is gone then catching a whiff of it a few minutes later.

I received my 'refill' bottle today.
    Same here. You can definitely tell the menthol is there starting off, but as it progresses, it leaves. Somebody described the tobacco smell as fresh and I would have to agree.

Actually, I'm mostly getting a barber shop vibe from it so far, a clean, old-world, tonic-y kind of smell, with a hint of almond.
    Very well put, but I can't catch the almond.

Oh, it is supposed to be a gold-ish color right? I didn't know if the pic from Manufactum was of an empty bottle or of one with a clear liquid in it.
    Last edited by ibarney5; 31st December 2008 at 07:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Alt Innsbruck Eau de Cologne

I received my order from Superlather today. Really fast service from Mark.

I can't add anything significant to what's been said before, except to say that I'm very pleased with it. Alt Innsbruck will get a lot play on the weekends during these cold weather months. Thanks to the_good_life for providing the review, and tip of the cap to cvac for sourcing it in the U.S.. These experiences are what make Basenotes a valuable interactive community.

Happy New Year to All - and Be Safe!

Post Thanks / Like

I see that dr.creed is wearing his today.

Should we set up a scent sync day for Alt Innsbruck?

I think it would be fun and decidedly different.

Post Thanks / Like

I see that dr.creed is wearing his today.

Should we set up a scent sync day for Alt Innsbruck?

I think it would be fun and decidedly different.
    I'm in. This is rapidly turning into a favorite comfort scent for quiet days. It feels and smells good and is so subtle as not to irritate my wife.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 1st January 2009 at 04:52 PM.
    My Wardrobe

Wow, funny story, not really, but maybe. This new atomizer I bought apparently does spray in a "spray" pattern. It's more like a "jet" spray. As you can imagine, that kind of caught me off guard. I remedied the problem by switching over to one of the plastic atomizers I got for free with my order. Nice wide spray. I could hit a bulls-eye 4 feet away with that other beast.

Anyways, yeah, wearing Alt today. Liking it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I could hit a bulls-eye 4 feet away with that other beast.
    Good Lord, I can think of all kinds of naughty fun one could have with such a device. Mostly in the way of getting people to try scents they've been neglecting or overlooking...

It may be just me, but going on 11 hours, i'm still catching a faint whiff of this.

Post Thanks / Like

It may be just me, but going on 11 hours, i'm still catching a faint whiff of this.
    I didn't keep track but I had great longevity also.

Let's select a day for our synchronized wearing of Alt Innsbruck.

For discussion, I'll throw out this coming Wednesday, January 7th. - what do you guys think?

Hmm, looks like I'm the odd man out. After one wearing, my swap-reflex is tingling. I'm just not into this scent - and to boot, my wife thinks it's nasty. But longevity is longer than I originally thought, not bad at all, actually.
    (swaps)
    (sales)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy, and I just received my order confirmation. And as usual in Switzerland, they make me pay about double of what it costs every other place in the world, and I have to pay the transport. - Still curious though: what triggered your swap reflex, ebear??
    Last edited by narcus; 4th January 2009 at 02:05 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ebear View Post
    Hmm, looks like I'm the odd man out. After one wearing, my swap-reflex is tingling. I'm just not into this scent - and to boot, my wife thinks it's nasty. But longevity is longer than I originally thought, not bad at all, actually.
    This may happen to me, too, but I'll hang on. I did a quick mental checklist of tobacco scents I've tried, and just realized something. I never fall for a tobacco scent on first sniff. It apparently takes time for the right aspect of natural tobacco's complex character to shine through and grab me. Bug killer on day one, peacemaker eventually.

Post Thanks / Like

For discussion, I'll throw out this coming Wednesday, January 7th. - what do you guys think?
    It looks like there will be at least two of us wearing Alt Innsbruck this coming Wednesday.

Please join us if you can!

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I'm in.
    Have to make sure to avoid Alt-Innsbruck in the meantime.
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It looks like there will be at least two of us wearing Alt Innsbruck this coming Wednesday.

Please join us if you can!
    If the postman obliges, will do! If not, then I will join you in spirit anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    If the postman obliges, will do! If not, then I will join you in spirit anyway.
    Me too, hoping it arrives by then

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Still curious though: what triggered your swap reflex, ebear??
    Hi, Narcus. Well, since you asked, I applied a drop to my wrist to see if I could pinpoint my... lack of enthusiasm for AI. I think it's just not my style. I get bubble gum, a generic barber shop 'tonic' smell and a tad of almond - I must be anosmic to the tobacco, I can hardly pick up any. Unfortunately, I don't think this one will work for me. But I AM happy that you gents are enjoying it... and contributing, albeit minutely, to our local Tirolean economy.

If anyone is interesting in a swap/sale, just PM me. I've also got the pre- & aftershave emulsion, unopened.
    (swaps)
    (sales)

I can't wait to hear more about this instant classic. I almost pushed my one click buy button, but I'm feeling quite cautious after my blind buy of Ambre Gris.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ebear View Post
    Hi, Narcus. Well, since you asked, I applied a drop to my wrist to see if I could pinpoint my... lack of enthusiasm for AI. I think it's just not my style. I get bubble gum, a generic barber shop 'tonic' smell and a tad of almond - I must be anosmic to the tobacco, I can hardly pick up any. Unfortunately, I don't think this one will work for me. But I AM happy that you gents are enjoying it... and contributing, albeit minutely, to our local Tirolean economy.

If anyone is interesting in a swap/sale, just PM me. I've also got the pre- & aftershave emulsion, unopened.
    Thank you ebear! I am now prepared for a disappointment. I had hoped this wouldn't be like the sweetish blossoms of a tobacco plant you can buy in the hothouse for a summer garden. In a room they are the only plant which can cause me a headache. Ah, well - we shall know more this weekend. I ordered Caldey Island Water as well. The tradition of friars' unholy lies saved for the 21st century...
    Last edited by narcus; 5th January 2009 at 03:52 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my lordy.........
    Has anyone else shaved and then splashed on the EDC????
    What an amazing blast of menthol. This will be even more utterly amazing in the summer. Hangover anyone? Not for long! (Disclaimer - I haven't had a drink for 7 years). Increbibly refreshing and invigorating with an animalic undertone of tobacco. VERY central European - fresh and dirty at the same time yet the essence of simplicity with just one note of each.

100ml? Where is the 500ml bottle???
    Thanks t_g_l.

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Thank you ebear! I am now prepared for a disappointment.
    Narcus, judging by the very positive comments - I think mine is the only 'meh' vote so far - your chances of liking it would seem to be rather high! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts...
    (swaps)
    (sales)

Post Thanks / Like

Ok it is very light after the initial blast but lasts a long time. So how about a list of things which could layer over it later in the day without causing a fight?

I will start with C&S cuba which would sit on top on the remnants of this very hapilly. Also vintage tabarome would be good...I will have to try that one later.

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

I received my bottle today and gave it a try - as others have already mentioned, the cool menthol opening followed by a "dirty" animalic, dewy tobacco note is attractive, but it dies out too fast. I guess that should be expected given that it is an aftershave. I don't get any generic barbershop aroma from this. It smells like Baby C&S Cuba.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Tomorrow is scent synch day!

Redneck Perfumisto, did you receive yours?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tomorrow is scent synch day!

Redneck Perfumisto, did you receive yours?
    Not yet, but there's still hope for an evening refresher tomorrow. My estimated time of arrival is tomorrow afternoon. Still hanging in there!!!

I'm looking forward to light tobacco. Banana Republic Black Walnut - light with a subdued tobacco note - was an old fave of mine. That should fade out nicely in preparation for Alt Innsbruck.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a great day!

So far, five of us have posted Alt Innsbruck as our SotD:
    the_good_life
    ibarney5
    TricsMan
    giannis
    TwoRoads

Still time for more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, the pain, the pain. My bottle left Memphis, Tennessee this morning at 3 AM, apparently by a slow boat to China. Fedex shows that it is just got here - locked up for the night on the other side of town. So I've been reduced to faking it with Banana Republic Black Walnut all day. Ignoring the sport scent aspects, BRBW has the vague reminiscence of tobacco, but zero menthol. And notice that I did not specify natural tobacco. If it is, it is only because the maker was able to remove 99% of the complexity from natural tobacco, thereby highlighting some random fraction of it. Or the skeptic in me could accept the fact that it's something synthetic, albeit rather pure and interesting.

The pain. The pain. But then again, I'll be wearing Alt Innsbruck on Friday without a doubt, and in the morning, too!!! :bounce:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, here's my final report. The wife and I both enjoyed a sniff from the bottle immediately, and she proclaimed it "old-fashioned". I got amazing longevity and strength from it - easily 12 hours. For me, the menthol is definitely stronger at first, but I find that it modifies the tobacco all day long, and I can smell a bit of it even at the end.

It's definitely natural tobacco, and that complexity affects it all day long. At some moments it smells heavenly, but other moments are more meh. But as I said, the menthol is always there for me. I think that it has a fascinating scent for such a simple combination. Reaction from those around me was mixed, but evident. Some frags are almost 100% attractive, but this one had a mixed effect of about 50% attractive/repulsive on those around me. Apparently, not everybody is a tobacco lover. Oh, well - their loss.

One thing was interesting, and as a science type, I'm wondering if and why there may be a connection. For lunch, I had a nice fillet of walleye. Well prepared, it was nearly odorless. However, within about 30 minutes of finishing it, I suddenly smelled something really, really skanky, like dead fish. I was horrified to find that it was the sprays of cologne under my shirt! But within just a few more minutes, the odor shifted back to normal tobacco. Was there a connection? Who knows. But having known somebody with trimethylaminuria (fish odor syndrome, which can be induced by eating fish), I suspect that there may be some kind of biochemical connection.

Other than that, I had a good experience with this fragrance. I think it's very subtle and simple, yet showcases the compexity of natural tobacco. I can certainly see why the lather-and-blade crowd might enjoy it. But while I plan on enjoying this one regularly, I do think I'm going to stick with Bois de Cedrat on fish days!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently loving-the-hell out of this one recently. BIG thank you to Redneck for introducing me to it. I think zztopp's comment above ('It smells like Baby C&S Cuba') is spot on. I want some!

Post Thanks / Like

I might order Alt Innsbruck too, it seems, according to the posts on this thread, best value and highest quality for the money (truly wisely) invested in this one