Code of Conduct

Default Big Sample Order #1

I just recieved my latest Luckyscent sample order, and here's a list of what I got along with my impressions:

Mazzolari "Mazzolari"
    Mazzolari "Lui"
    10 Corso Como
    Courvoisier "L'Edition Imperiale"
    Parfums de Nicolai "Vie di Chateau" (still to be tested, I'll post later)
    Heeley "Fine Leather" (still to be tested)
    Bois 1920 "Classic 1920" (still to be tested)

Mazzolari "Mazzolari": This is a heady brew. Gorgeous evergreen scent backed up by herbs/spice and a tiny touch of sweetness. It reminded me of a less intense and more wearable Yatagan. Anyone who likes foresty, herbal scents owes it to themselves to try this. Long lasting, natural and powerful.

Mazzolari "Lui": I can't say I was overly impressed by this one. It was almost pure animalic musk on me, with a strong dark amber, spices and touches of leather. A little heavy on the raw musk for my taste. The musk was very familiar and smelled like some of Ava Luxe more raunchy fragrances.

10 Corso Como: Very pretty rose+oud+cedar+sandalwood fragrance. Very natural and subtle smelling. The oud makes a minor appearance alongside the rose, which is then backed up by quite a bit of geranium, making it rather airy and sharp and not quite to my liking at first, but that dries down into a nice woody base with a nice touch of incense and musk. To me, this smells very much like CB I Hate Perfume's "Cedarwood Tea" (only stronger and longer lasting), especially when first applied.

Courvoisier "L'Edition Imperiale": This is some really good stuff. Made by the famous French cognac brand (but not meant to smell anything like cognac), it's intended for "25-35 year old males who are ambitious, determined and desire to succeed", among other things. Tacky and insipid "aspirational brand" marketing aside, it's a very good amber/wood/leather fragrance. It starts off slightly sweet and dries down into a very nice warm amber/wood, mild leather, with a mild smoky tea accord. It smells very natural and comforting without being cloying at all, though it's a little overpriced for what it is.

-----------

More to come as the days goes by. I'm trying one to two fragrances a day, and I have two more sample orders arriving soon (one from Aedes de Venustas, another from Ava Luxe), so I'd better try to speed it up.

Ahh, happy days. I love getting boxes of samples.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 1st October 2007 at 02:25 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Big Sample Order #1

Thanks - your description of Courvoisier confirms mostly what jock_with_scents mentioned and I'm really interested in smelling this. Sounds like a suitable replacement in the masculine woods category for my Wardrobe, since Gucci Pour Homme I no longer own.

Let me ask you this? Which do you think is better: Idole by Lubin or Courvoisier?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks - your description of Courvoisier confirms mostly what jock_with_scents mentioned and I'm really interested in smelling this. Sounds like a suitable replacement in the masculine woods category for my Wardrobe, since Gucci Pour Homme I no longer own.

Let me ask you this? Which do you think is better: Idole by Lubin or Courvoisier?
    Idole is one I haven't tried yet. I'll be including that one with my next sample order.
    Courvoisier definitely has a masculine wood element, but if I had to strictly classify it I'd call it more of an amber fragrance. Just a very tempered one; distinctly Western, not Oriental, reminding one of warm log cabins after a long hike (very relaxing) instead of a walk through a desert bazaar.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 1st October 2007 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Idole is one I haven't tried yet. I'll be including that one with my next sample order.
    When I read 10 Corsmo Corsmo, I immediately thought Idole by Lubin but also want to ask if you have smelled Hôtel Costes EdT? Those three are often mentioned together... Oh well, you might as well add Comme des Garçons Original EdP as well to cover them all.