Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which is the best "Contemporary Classic" for men?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pi by Givenchy

5 4.63%
  • L'Instant by Guerlain

9 8.33%
  • M7 by YSL

23 21.30%
  • Rive Gauche by YSL

15 13.89%
  • Gucci PH

10 9.26%
  • Dior Homme

16 14.81%
  • Terre D'Hermes

30 27.78%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Which is the "Best Contemporary Classic" for men?(Oct-07)

Quote Originally Posted by msi_21 View Post
    Why it happened about M7 in the market? What was wrong about it?
    I saw it got european FiFi award in 2004, but it wasn't successful in market.
    Well, I can't comment on Europe. Maybe it was successful there. But not here in the USA! I think it's just too good for us, if you know what I mean . Let the people have their schlock.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 3rd October 2007 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Thumbs up Re: Which is the "Best Contemporary Classic" for men?(Oct-07)

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Well, I can't comment on Europe. Maybe it was successful there. But not here in the USA! I think it's just too good for us, if you know what I mean . Let the people have their schlock.
    M7 wasn't successful in US? The same is true here in Persian Gulf states and Iran.
    I think this is the reason that no brand wants to invest in bringing new ideas to the market.
    Last edited by msi_21; 3rd October 2007 at 05:15 PM.

My one is L'Instant by Guerlain.
    Pi is to sweet and it makes me feel like that I'm swimming in a vanilla sea.
    M7 reminded me the these Asian balms like Tiger Balm or the others. Eventhough I don't smell it don't much now, but still smells medicinal to me.
    Rive Gauche is nice and I love it, but it is not that unique to me because of a lot of Vetiver.
    Gucci PH is nice too. I like it too, but it is a bit different kind of Incense fragrance for me.
    Dior Homme reminds me, like it does with some other members of BN, make-up bag or old lipsticks.
    Terre d'Hermes was my secon favourite. I use it with great pleasure but it is still orangey like some other fragrances of Hermes, thus this either is not that unique for me.
    When I compare all of them then I see L'Instant by Guerlian is very different for me. I can not compare it with that much with other fragrances and it is the one which gives me the most classic sensation then the others. If I'm not mistaken one of the Hugo Boss fragrances reminded me L'Instant, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by frank06 View Post
    My vote goes to Terre D`Hermes,great in all weathers & good for lots of different occasions.
    Agreed, and that's why I voted for it! Even though my SOTD today is Dior Homme.

smeller

I voted for M7, but I believe Fahrenheit 32 has a place on that list, even if it's not my cup of tea.

I think the sweet, feminine, modern (contemporary) oriental scents are flash in the pan and will likely soon be replaced by the "next" modern mass marketed scents (ouds)...I already can't wait for the next "next". Only the best of the era will be remembered and that is exactly why Dior Homme will become a classic.

Terre d'Hermes is the illegitimate son of Gucci pH and Givenchy Pi is his flamboyant cousin. Both Terre and Pi were fun for their time, but they lived their lives too fast and are now burn outs living in the country. They will only be referred to in "remember when" discussions...maybe..

I too find the list quite limited and incomplete. The November list should be interesting.
    Last edited by Bwitney Speeohs; 4th October 2007 at 01:31 AM.

I voted for M7 because it opened by a door and took a risk greater than any of the others listed imo.

BTW I guess I need to try Dior Homme again, but last time I thought it was just blah...

I don't see Terre d'Hermes as a contemerary classic at all. I thought of M7 and Gucci pour homme as the two that stood out and I chose Gucci.

Terre d'Hermes gets my vote... for SURE! It's the definition of contemporary classic, utilizing standard men's fragrance ingredients such as citrus and vetiver and light woods, but contemporary in that they are combined with more adventurous notes, to create a more modern effect, without the animalic base notes.