Code of Conduct

Default Sephora Visit: Gucci PH vs. Aramis!

So over the weekend I'm at Sephora. As usual Mrs. Alkman is trying out every light floral in the place. A real shame, since fruity chypres clearly suit her. I'm still waiting for that bottle of Vera Wang to tank out so I can set her up with Misouko.

But anyhow, I spray some Gucci Pour Homme on one hand. After being disappointed by Opium PH I've stayed away from design house scents and stick to Caron and Guerlain. But I'm aware that this is purely prejudice, so I figured I'd give Gucci PH a shot. See what reviews like "deep, masculine but also ethereal fragrance" are getting at.

Put it on one hand and walked around the mall for a couple hours. I got licorice-y clove. No pencil shavings. Licoricey clove. According to everything I read it was supposed to be spices and wood. But it smelled like licoricey clove to me. Even after I went home and had left it on for six hours, I couldn't detect any notable developments, just the same licorice-y clove. Smelled great on the tester but didn't do much on me.

I have weird strongly alkaline body chemistry, so I tend to obliterate a lot of scents. Maybe it's just me. But all I got was licorey clove.

Going out of the mall we had to walk through Lord and Taylor's perfume section on the way to the car. I spotted a bottle of Aramis and sprayed it on the other hand. Smelling it, I thought: "What's the big deal about? This smells a lot lighter than a swaggering power scent."

Aramis smelled like a clean, healthy light sweat in the open air and sun. The kind of sweat you get on the beach, or out walking on a warm spring day. Really nice.

Then as we got outside, I noticed something that smelled like a yak stable. It was the undernotes of the Aramis. Can't say enough good about that fragrance. On the one hand the top notes and bottom notes seem tacked together on top of each other. On the other hand they're both superb.

Oh, and the Aramis washed straight off, while the Gucci didn't even after repeated scrubbing.

Default Re: Sephora Visit: Gucci PH vs. Aramis!

which aramis? aramis by aramis....im curious about this frag...is it worth a full bottle?

Thrax

I despise Aramis. It's my arch nemisis.

Basenotes Plus

As much as I love many of the Aramis frags, I was surrounded in high school by many friends who over applied the original Aramis. To this day I am sickened by it. Are you referring to the new Gucci II?

I like Aramis well enough, but associate with my Da way too much to ever enjoy it.

Every time I smell Aramis I think of him in the early Seventies, with his bootlegged Cuban cigars, his mountains of Herb Alpert and Al Hirt albums, his cheap chippies (who all wore Jungle Gardenia, or worse), his awful "wannabe cool" muttonchops and those dreadful polyester jackets of his, each with lapels wide enough to hang Christmas ornaments on.

In short, it's a decently made frag, but one fraught with too many questionable memories for me to ever enjoy it.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Alkman, you are the man! Love that Aramis. Stuigi, it was probably I who you were smelling, no matter where you went to high school. My junior year my girlfriend (a senior I'm proud to boast) told me to wear Aramis or forget nookie. That's why we were all wearing it, and thus no matter where you were you could probably smell us in Minneapolis back in the days of early nookie.

I still love the stuff. I think I used it for three days straight during a spell this summer. (I can't remember for sure, but since it was Aramis some nookie simply must have come my way then.)

I don't go for either of the Gucci PHs, but the licorice and clove reaction does sound odd to me, and very unlike the standard Gucci PH I've smelled at Sephora. (Not my thing either way.)

Lucky Ms. Alkman to have such great scents coming to her in the future.

Aramis should have good duration with a morning's spray application. It's always stuck with me.

Great post, Alkman.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thrax

WEAR ARAMIS OR FORGET NOOKIE??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Exclamation Point...

heart attack...

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax View Post
    WEAR ARAMIS OR FORGET NOOKIE??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Exclamation Point...

heart attack...
    At the time I thought the girl was very much worth playing the obey game for. You surprise me, Thrax, I tend to think that in spirit you're very much an Aramis type of guy. I bet if you wear it for three days straight you'll like it on the fourth.

For real. I think anyone who sticks with Aramis will find its long lost gold.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    For real. I think anyone who sticks with Aramis will find its long lost gold.
    --Chris
    Yes, I did, and I found it.

Some time ago, my favorite leather was Van Cleef & Arpels. Nowadays, I go to Antaeus and Aramis (very different characters, but both great).

About Gucci PH: didn't liked it at all, compared to those listed above.
    Last edited by smeller; 2nd October 2007 at 03:31 AM.

Gucci PH is definitely a blast of cedar with some incense. Alkman, I'd guess your skin killed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
    Gucci PH is definitely a blast of cedar with some incense. Alkman, I'd guess your skin killed it.
    I guess you could interpret what I smelled somewhere in the cedar family.

If this gets any worse the only thing I'll be able to wear will be pure essential oil of wormwood!