Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a non-floral, unsweet fragrance

I'm shopping for a new scent. I don't want to smell like a flower, nor any sweet scent. I think I'd like something a little spicy, a touch of fruit, a little musky, cedary, ???? In the past I've worn Arpege, Magie Noir, Woodhue, Musk, Salvatore Ferrigamo... close, but no cigar. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Default Re: Looking for a non-floral, unsweet fragrance

Musc Ravageur is fruity, spicy and musky, but it's quite sweet. Not overly - it's unisex, after all, but it's not dry.
    Caron - Tabac Blond - I love this one. It's sophisticated, sexy, but non floral. Tobacco and leather, with a touch of filth. Great stuff.
    Give Ava Luxe a try also. I love Madame X - that's woody, dirty, ambery. I love it. You might like the new Sin as well (I have that on order). But there's lots there you can try.

I 2nd the Ava Luxe. Madame X of course - but also try No. 23, Shisha and Kama. Non florals with plenty of incense. Another is Kenzo Flower Oriental. I think it is nicer than the original with hardly any powder.
    Caron Parfum Sacre is lovely too. It has lots of depth - spice and a slight rose note - but I definitely wouldn't call in a rose fragrance.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” Tallulah Bankhead - Actress

Off-Scenter

For fruity without floral, on a woody base, you could try Eau du Sud or Bahiana. The Different Company's Sel du Vetiver is bone dry, but not particularly spicy. Though it has a peony note in it, Dzongkha is mostly about smoky incense - dry smoky incense. But pride of place goes to Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir: leathery fruit, dark spices, and incense, and not a flower to be found!

Basenotes Institution

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone - I second this recommendation. Also, try Rousse by Serge Lutens.

I appreciate the prompt response! That's a good list for me to investigate.

Thank you all!

I don't go for flowery, either, and to me, Bulgari's Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge seems to strike most of the notes you describe. I tested it, dismissed it, went to a movie, couldn't stop sniffing my wrist, flew back to the store before closing and bought it.
    Last edited by tang; 2nd October 2007 at 04:41 AM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Hermès Eau des Merveilles: no floral notes, but ambergris, citrus, woods and spices.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Another nod to Bulgari's Eau Parfumee Au The Rouge here.

I also love L'Artisan's Premier Figuire Extreme, but it may show up as sweet on you.

I wear these to work because I don't want to smell floral in a public setting, and I like my scents spicy.

I second the recs for Eau des Merveilles and AL scents. There is truly something for everyone at AL, tonight I am wearing AL Incense and there's not a flower in sight!

I agree with most of these. You may want to try DKNY Delicious Night. It's suppose to be exclusive to Bloomies right now. Also, if you can find it smell Clive Christian X and Tom Ford Black Orchid, Bulgari Omnia, Jhvagio 7 Notes, Organza Indecence.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Oh yes, Rousse seconded. This is woody, spicy but quite fresh.

The first scent that hit me when you said non floral and non sweet fragrance was Feminite du Bois by Shiseido.The notes are cedar,plum,cinnamon++ I love it!

You might try a Dior or two. I suggest Dune and Midnight Poison.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

I recommend Oriental Lumpur by Les Nereides, a reasonably-priced niche line (available from LuckyScent, who sell samples as well). OL is very spicy and dry, with nary a trace of sweetness and nothing floral. Yet I expect it would be perfectly wearable by a woman who goes for that sort of thing. Longevity is reasonable (not great).

Edit: Wearing my sample again today. Longevity is better than I remembered, and this stuff is even drier than I remembered. I've seen other scents described as "chicken curry," but only this one, and maybe Diptyque's L'Autre, strike me that way. And yet, I don't dislike it.
    Last edited by PaulSC; 2nd October 2007 at 08:17 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Just a few that come to mind:

Diptyque, Tam Dao
    Tauer, L'air du desert marocain
    Eau d'Italie, Bois d'Ombrie
    Serge Lutens, Santal de Mysore
    Creed, Santal Imperial
    Comme des Garcons, Incense Series (esp. Zagorsk and Kyoto)
    Lubin, Idole de Lubin
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, Racine and Route de Vetiver
    Lorenzo Villoresi, Sandalo and Incensi

You can also add another vote for Pomegranate Noir and pretty much anything from Ava Luxe's woody/incense fragrances.
    Last edited by Sloan; 3rd October 2007 at 03:19 AM. Reason: sp