Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your 5 Biggest Disappointments Ever

What are they/have they been? And why? (I think of Thrax writing about Jicky even as I type . . .)
    Here, in no particular order, are my 5 biggest disappointments to date:

CHYPRE ROUGE BY SERGE LUTENS
    I found it utterly unwearable. My dogs even hated it on me, and, hey, they lick their own butts. CR's masterfully blended, yes, and very Lutensesque in its formulation. But I for one can neither wear it nor stomach it -- all I can think of is having been rolled in pine needles and then covered in gallons of cherry-flavored Robitussin.
    (And at $110+ per bottle, I ought to be able to at least say I liked it a little.)

L'ANTIMATIERE BY LES NEZ
    There's minimalist and then there's minimalist, ya know? For that kind of money, I ought to be able to at least smell the stuff!
    Sometimes I think that the perfumers who created this stuff are laughing at all the critics trying to analyze the glorified grain alcohol that they (the perfumers themselves) marketed as an expensive fragrance.

JAZZ BY YVES ST. LAURENT
    My other half has worn this for years, and I finally made him put it on my swap list just this morning.
    I cannot abide some particular note in Jazz, and it makes me literally sick to my stomach.
    More's the pity, too, as I like the opening and find it very masculine and old school -- lots of lavender, very Eighties.

A*MEN BY THIERRY MUGLER
    I've written volumes about how this beast affects my sinuses, my eyes and my general health. 'Nuff said already.
    I want to love it as many do, but simply cannot.

APPARITION POUR HOMME BY UNGARO
    After such masterpieces as Ungaro I, II and III and such a glittering gem as Diva, I was fully expecting to be blown away by Apparition.
    What did I get instead? A pale, watery Acqua di Giò clone with a touch of anise and a funkazoid bottle.
    (I don't hate it, mind you, but the opposite of love, as they say, is not hate -- it's indifference.)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 1st October 2007 at 11:31 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Your 5 Biggest Disappointments Ever

amen i will agree with 100 percent
    ck be...to me its nothing that special even though the rave reviews
    mure et musc...i guess i was expecting something more breathtaking
    dunhill for men(original) i thought would make me feel like james bond, but i just felt normal
    tambotti wood by susan lang...supposed to be beautiful, just find it ordinary
    Last edited by jdnba; 1st October 2007 at 11:25 PM.

Smile Re: Your 5 Biggest Disappointments Ever

I'm not into the niche fragrances as of yet (give me time), but I've had some department/drug store fragrances that disappointed me even considering their modest beginnings and low (or not so low) prices. Anyways, here are my 5 biggest disappointments.

1) Navy for Men--I figured a FIFI winner would have some virtues even as a drugstore fragrance. This stuff just reeks....and lasts forever. I wear it when I'm feeling antisocial and I don't want others to come around, or when I'm angry with my partner. He refers to it as brown sugar mixed with cat pee (and I don't think he's far from the mark).

2) Polo Blue--This stuff has about five minutes of longevity on me and then it's simply gone. I'm a Ralph Lauren fan, but this just doesn't cut it.

3) Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male--Personally, I think Perry Ellis did a better job with 360 Degrees white...it smells smoother to me, and lasts longer on my skin. I sincerely do like the way this one smells, but it's way too pricey when there are alternatives just as good from Perry Ellis, and The Body Shop.

4) Any knockoff by Jean Phillipe--VILE VILE VILE. The only saving grace I've found is they're so diluted they only last a few minutes.

5) The New Brut--this smells nothing like the original by Faberge....it's cheap and vile now, even to my unseasoned nose. I treasure my glass bottle of Brut Classic.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Quote Originally Posted by gmmcnair View Post
    Personally, I think Perry Ellis did a better job with 360 Degrees white...it smells smoother to me, and lasts longer on my skin.
    You're by no means the first to have echoed this exact sentiment here on Basenotes -- trust me.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Off-Scenter

Oh boy, let's see:

Amouage Gold. Shocked after adoring Dia by one of the vilest potions ever bottled. It smells like grandma's house. Grandma has lots of cats - all male - and the litterboxes haven't been changed since god-knows-when. Guy Robert squeezes out the litter, bottles the essence, and voila! You have Gold.

Bois du Portugal. The opening lives up to every bit of praise that's benn heaped on it. The drydown makes me feel old and crabbed. A tragedy.

Fresh Hombre de Flores Polianthes Tuberosa. Looking for tuberose and leather, I found bland 1990s fruit.

Dzing! It sounds so appealing, but it lasts a mere 30 seconds on me.

Chergui. I expected a transcendental experience. I got another Sheldrake-Lutens spiced syrup concoction.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 1st October 2007 at 11:37 PM.

Nu - Drag Queens on Ice
    Kenzo pour Homme - Aldehydes over sushi.
    Cabochard - I'm sorry I missed the original formula.
    Body Kouros - Cotton Candy nightmare.
    Iquitos - Someone called me Grannie when I wore this.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 1st October 2007 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Nu - Drag Queens on Ice
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL -- now THAT'S a picture!

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

chergui...shit i forgot chergui...i move that to the top of the pile on my disappointment list...and i use the word pile on purpose.

Burberry Weekend
    Boss Selection
    Givenchy Very Irresistable
    Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise
    Guerlain Vetiver (*ducks for cover*)
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Odeur 53 by Comme des Garcons - a neat concept fragrance, until I got a mind numbing headache from the nail polish note

Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermes (Hermessence line) - I was expecting the smell of an osmanthus bush I smelled once in Atlanta's botanical garden...I got a limp wristed floral mess that is not worthy of belong in the Hermessence line IMO

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford - read the thread: http://community.basenotes.net/showp...3&postcount=28

Dior Homme - I really really really wanted to like this, but the iris in this turned powdery and 'makeup'-y

Emerald Dream by Estee Lauder - a EL scent that you can only buy at duty free stores I was always intrigued by this because it was so elusive, but when I finally got a decant of it resembled Beautiful by Estee Lauder too much and gave me a slight nauseous feeling in my stomach every time I wore it (?) before I gave it away

Post Thanks / Like

In no particular order:

*Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme - After reading some rave reviews of this one, I decided to buy it, blind. I am not sure if the bottle was off, but all I got was "sharp blast of old man/unidentifiable flowers".

*Gucci pour Homme II - Does anyone wear this? Quite possibly the biggest let down of the year.

*Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue PH - From D&G pour Homme --> D&G By --> D&G Masculine --> complete olifactory sellout. How did that happen?

*Chergui - I know that many are in love with this one, but I just don't get it. Sure, it smells pretty nice, but so does pancake syrup. This is like a Moroccan Mrs. Butterworth.

*Burberry Brit - Got a sample and it smelled fantastic. Bought a bottle and wasn't feeling it at all. Felt like I was going through a mid-life crisis, and I'm not even mid-life yet.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 2nd October 2007 at 09:57 AM.
    You are not your perfume.

BANDIT--I always get the feeling he wanted to create the true skank scent with this one. Rubbery vetiver and add patchouli to the insult.

Jeffrey Dame LAZY LOVE--How can one really mess up the smell of Benzoin?

Crown Perfumery SANDRINGHAM--I expected reserved elegance--you get the smell
    of a stale wet towel on the floor with this one.

Heeley CEDRE--The nerve of bottling transparent air, call it an EDP, and sell it for the price of a Serge Lutens!

Guerlain INSOLENCE--Smells cheap and synthetic like bottled haircolor.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I can't think of five...but a few...C&S No. 88, Bois d'Argent and Avignon.

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post
    BANDIT--I always get the feeling he wanted to create the true skank scent with this one. Rubbery vetiver and add patchouli to the insult.
    Bandit is quite the Bomb (stink, that is).
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 2nd October 2007 at 04:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Kouros - Bady body odor and dying things... I thought it was supposed to be good! Sorry to those who like it.
    Daim Blonde - I bought it and returned it a week later because I couldn't stand the suede. I thought I finally had something great... nope...

Ok so I don't have 5 but these really got me bummed...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

At least these two, might come up with more later.

Patchouli Patch - I love the original, discontinued L'Artisan Patchouli, but PP smells more like stale cream crackers than patchouli

Mechant Loup - honey and hazelnut notes sound good in theory, but smell past their "best before" date
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Only two here, but after testing these and getting samples I was unpleasantly surprised when I purchased them.

Hermes Rocabar - A great scent for as long as it lasts...maybe 5 minutes. A dozen sprays and it lasts until I get to work. Not worth the effort to apply it for what you get out of it, at least on me.

Dunhill Pursuit - Again a great scent with no longevity. Though it lasts longer than Rocabar. It does make an elegant paperweight however.
    Last edited by globetrekker; 2nd October 2007 at 04:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

The complete Different Company line. On top is Osmanthus, with its nursery home smell, exactly what one reviewer stated.

Here we go:

1. Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue PH- With all the buzz surrounding this scent, you'd think it'd be good, but no. Opens nicely but within minutes turns into an olfactory nightmare. Very annoying scent.

2. Chanel Allure Homme Sport- Very bland and generic. Definitely doesn't smell like Chanel and brings nothing new to the table.

3. Prada Amber Pour Homme- This is sickeningly sweet and overpowering.

4. Gucci Pour Homme II- Just bad, bad...

5. Brit for Men- Smelled great on my ex-boyfriend, but when I tried it at Macy's it smelled like rancid lemons on my skin.
    Last edited by olivieroraffaele; 2nd October 2007 at 06:07 AM.
    "A ti que te consuelas con cubrirte de Chanel las huellas de mis besos." - Arjona

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by pluran; 5th October 2007 at 05:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There are many, though fewer than pleasant surprises

1. Guerlain Vetiver. After all the praise, a spitton full of chewing tobacco. One of the few that makes me physically nauseous.
    2. Chergui - The sweetest headache ever. Does nothing else for me but stick(y) around and make me miserable. This after Ambre Sultan, Arabie, Vetyver Orientale, Douce Amere...
    3. Crown Park Royal - the first Crown I utterly detested, the mustiest clove ever, like it's been sitting in a warm bright room since 1902.
    4. Bogart Silver Scent - had loved everything by Bogart, this was a complete downer. Just cloying synthetic garbage.
    5. Chopard Casran - I was expecting an oriental gourmand fantasy, I got stale Nivea cream.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Wow...Chergui keeps coming up. Now i'm not so much in a hurry to try it.

Oscar Pour Lui- one of the most vile, sickening things my poor nose has had the misfortune to smell. Dracula's cough syrup.

Trussardi L' Uomo- Probably the second-most-vile. Rotten green tomatoes.

Creed Ambre Canelle- Essence of dead grandma in a bottle.

Fendi Uomo- Fur coat soaked in diet coke.

Gucci PH 2- A real snoozer. Wake me up when 3 comes out.

Polo Explorer- This explorer's only a cub scout.

Guess that makes.....5. Yeah that's right.
    Last edited by knightowl; 2nd October 2007 at 08:14 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Sables-I have tried to sniff the maple syrupy sweetness everybody talks, all I got was sour peppery spices and I could not stand it at all.

Ungaro II- I really wanted to like this, but no.Citrussy civet and nothing else for me.

Chergui- I adore FT and Arabie but this was nothing special.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Your 5 Biggest Disappointments Ever

1. Idole de Lubin---- Nope, not even a 17th century pirate could wear this, unless it's Johnny Depp's wonderful, over-the-top " Keith Richards" based pirate. The freaking Rum Absolute explodes in your face.

2. Musc Ravageur---Far, far, better on a woman.

3. All candied fruitcake offerings by Serge. Which is to say, 90+% of his overpriced offerings.
    What can I say? Musc Kublai Khan may be dirty, raunchy and perverted, but at least it's one of his that doesn't make me want to reach for an Alka-Seltzer.

4.Aramis 900---A great concoction, objectively. But subjectively, I'm put off with what I perceive as medicinal notes: A cross of roses, the desert, and a funeral home.-- Pity.

5.Bois du Portugal---So, this safe juice is supposed to be the last word for sophisticated, alpha males?
    Well, in comparison with Quorum, I'd guess so.

But---compared to Vintage Tabarome, Versailles, Jean Patou PH, Dunhill '34, or Bleinheim Bouquet, it loses its alleged dashing gravitas. A lightweight.

6. JHL---See Muscs Ravageur. Or see Cinnabar. Tried to like this, as so many BN's whose tastes I admire go ga-ga gor this juice, but not for me.

7. Amouage Gold Man---I should have known, I believe the review which begins with 'honeyed cat pee' pretty much nailed it.

8, Bois Farine---" Peanut Brittle? " --Groucho Marx to a hot babe, as he opened his silver cigarerette case.--Forgot which movie.

I know, that's 8 not 5 but disappointment is a drag when one has such high hopes.

Dzing it all !!

Mario.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Post Thanks / Like

Only five?

I'll just list some I bought and they turned on me:

Bulgari Black
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    Yatagan
    Habit Rouge and Guerlain Vetiver and Mitsouko
    Bandit

A*Men
    Arabie
    Versace Versus
    Dior Homme.

I could only dwindle this down to ten, so here goes:

Basala - a vile chemical concoction that quickly outstayed its welcome.
    Richard James - gone in 30 minutes.
    Yang - a very sweet and synthetic 'tea' scent (yeah, right!) with poor longevity.
    Muscs Koublaï Khän - it's just bloody musk!
    Jaïpur Homme EDP - a powdery mess.
    Rose d'Homme - gone in 15 minutes.
    DK Men - all this hype for a petroleum/pineapple mish-mash?
    Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé - for £100, it's waaaaaaaaaaaay too subtle on my skin...
    L'Antimatière - don't get me started on this one...
    Laguna Homme - want to smell like a plastic coconut?

I've had to miss some out to wittle it down to five but these are probably the biggest dissapointments of the frags I looked forward to trying and let me down:

Issey Miyake - L'eau D'Issey PH
    Lacoste - Elegance
    D&G - Masculine
    Michael Kors - Michael for men
    Kouros (original)
    UK Swap Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for decant swaps

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    7) CHANEL Bleu de Chanel
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) CREED Aventus
    10) COMME des GARÇONS Amazingreen

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Post Thanks / Like

l´eau par kenzo ( present for my brother, he love aquatics, i don´t )
    kiton black ( it don´t last´s and smell very similar to the much longer lasting kiton men )
    xs pour homme (did try it often but cannot like it)
    pure jil sander (great dissapoinment here)
    Brit for Men
    Last edited by sanatik; 2nd October 2007 at 02:02 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Post Thanks / Like

hmm, i agree with a lot of these. I also disagree with some, especially Gucci Pour Homme II, which I actually liked a lot. Not as much as the original but I loved the innovative take on the "fresh" genre that Gucci took.

anyway, my big 5

Egoiste - I wanted to love this, I really did. But that damn rose! ARG! Well, I still have Allure...

A*Men - That tar note is so overpowering it just kicks my ass every time I wear it to the point where I am afraid of wearing it. Very afraid indeed.

Dior Homme - Smells fucking weird. No way else to put it other than the fact that it smells like the Estee Lauder makeup section in the department stores.

Rochas Lui - Doesn't hold a candle to Gucci Pour Homme or M7. It's woody... I guess, but it's really just citrus and some woods. One dimensional to me.

Patricia de Nicolai New York - Can't compare to BdP or even Heritage. It's not nearly as powerful or masculine and once again, smells like simple-minded citrus and light woods. Weak sauce.

I'm sure there are others.
    --------------------------------------
    oh, and sanatik, are you daoist? i noticed your quote.
    Last edited by Redcomet; 2nd October 2007 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Rochas Lui here, too - just lemon and (cheap smelling) wood.

Czech & Speake No. 88. I so much wanted to love it, but all I got was a very artificial smelling room spray. Or a heavily scented candle you got as a gift and force yourself to light so that it will finally be gone.

Caron Yatagan, nasty to my nose. I wanted to make this legend mine but no chance.

Christian LaCroix Tumulte, even nastier. This has got to be the worst smell I've yet to encounter among fragrances. Love the bottle, though.

Azzaro Visit. Has a similar effect on me as Tumulte (they strike me as having a similar bitter, off-putting note) but not quite as offensive.
    BNIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, LIDGE, Bentley Intense, DH, Vintage Rive Gauche pH, M7 gel, Roma (women's), MPG Racine, Obsession, etc.:
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Post Thanks / Like

Gucci II? I have to say I respectfully disagree. I wore this yesterday and my reaction was more like "man, I smell good!" All day long I kept catching whiffs of it and liked it more and more. I wore 5 sprays, and I believe it would really take about 8 to project any.

But in terms of my personal enjoyment, it's a big winner. My wife really dug it as well when she buried her face in my neck. She liked it better than the AOS Sandalwood I got in the mail yesterday. I also like it better than the Richard James Savile Row I'm wearing today. Aw heck, I like it better than a lot of my other scents.

To each his own...

Disappointments? Creed MI (too weak on me), Allure (chemistry issues), Cool Water (same).

These didn't work for me and I hoped they would

C&S No. 88
    Noir Epices
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Musc Ravageur
    Fumerie Turque

Post Thanks / Like

The entire Les Nez line.
    C&S #88.
    Himalaya.
    Rive Gauche.
    Burberry Weekend, Summer, London.

No thank you.
    - Rich
    Last edited by _R$_; 2nd October 2007 at 07:05 PM.
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    These didn't work for me and I hoped they would

C&S No. 88
    Noir Epices
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Musc Ravageur
    Fumerie Turque
    How sad!
    Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Wow...Chergui keeps coming up. Now i'm not so much in a hurry to try it...
    I think Chergui suffers from unfulfillable expectations. It's so universally praised that it's almost doomed to disappoint. Same with Bois du Portugal for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post

7. Amouage Gold Man---I should have known, I believe the review which begins with 'honeyed cat pee' pretty much nailed it.
    Yep, that would be me. Something I never want to smell again.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 2nd October 2007 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Vetiver - everyone raved...I just plain don't like it
    No. 88 - overbearing, old fashioned...just didn't do it for me
    Rose D'Homme - powdery...where did the "homme" influence go?
    Antaeus - was looking for the perfect leather...not as good as the female counterparts
    Montale - everything...the whole line

Quote Originally Posted by ebear View Post
    Czech & Speake No. 88. I so much wanted to love it, but all I got was a very artificial smelling room spray. Or a heavily scented candle you got as a gift and force yourself to light so that it will finally be gone.
    How could I have overlooked that over-hyped English 'classic'. Meh...
    Last edited by Trebor; 2nd October 2007 at 07:49 PM.

1.Creed Indiana (Turned out to be a woman's scent)
    2.Higher by Dior
    3.A-Men by Mugler
    4.Farhenhiet by Dior (Hopefully that's how you spell it)
    5.Phat Pharm

That's my list.
    Zerby

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    Only five?

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta

Wow this really surprises me...never smelled it but i've read so much praise about it.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dzing!
    Anything by Kenneth Cole (except maybe RSVP)
    Sung Paradise for Men
    Allure Homme Sport
    JOOP! What About Adam?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Wow this really surprises me...never smelled it but i've read so much praise about it.
    I agree with the Asoluta...I almost always love JCE's scents, but this one missed the mark for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Burberry Weekend: Bought it based on reviews and was completely dissapointed.
    Tova for Men: Bingo night at the country club.
    Jazz: Nice opening but something brutal happens along the way.
    Joop Homme: Not what I expected at all.

Disagree that "Chanel Allure Homme Sport brings nothing new to the table."
    Correct me if I'm wrong but this, like Aqua di Gio, was new to the table when it came out- starting other bland and generic concoctions centerred around it. I still think its amongst the top in the sporty category.

Quote Originally Posted by laroche View Post
    Tova for Men: Bingo night at the country club.
    Jazz: Nice opening but something brutal happens along the way.
    Joop Homme: Not what I expected at all.
    On Tova, I dunno, as I have never smelled it -- but your comment about it sure is a riot!

On Jazz: Me too. I like it on others, but it makes me nauseated somewhere, somehow. Some note in it makes me physically unsettled. Live Jazz is hardly better -- it's like the same note is there, only covered with a thin veneer of mint.

On Joop!: I've never heard it put that diplomatically. Usually, Basenoters either talk about burned cotton candy and benzene puke, or something along those lines when describing this pink concoction.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDP - oh this is just hiddious like linseed oil rubbed all over the skin. *bleck*

No, no, NO! BLASPHEMY!!! I call for a fatwa!

Seriously, this is some good, good stuff. I love L'Instant edp. Glad you don't like it, though, Scentimus -- leaves more of this rare stuff for me.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Yatagan bathroom tile cleaner
    C&S 88 bug spray
    Lanvin pour homme air wick
    Hammam Bouquet Hercule Poirot's twice-used bath oil
    CdeGarcons 2 WW I trench warfare gas
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 5th October 2007 at 02:13 AM.

Terre D'Hermes for me. Bought it blind and it turns extremely bitter when I wear it. I think it's my chemistry. Sad thing is that I really wanted to like it. All I get is very bitter citrus. I think I was expecting a Roma or a Minotaure type of scent. I love those two.
    Last edited by Jixjax; 5th October 2007 at 02:14 AM.

M7-the only one I've ever bought that I couldn't stand
    Lolita Lempicka-don't care for licorice
    A*Men-not so much a disappointment as I just can't figure out the proper venue to wear it-bizarre

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

I dont wanna list frags that I simply dont like... these are scents I GENUINELY couldnt wait to smell when I'd heard theyd been released.

CAVALLI MAN: I had expected so much more than this soapy dud.
    ANTIDOTE by V&R : I had hoped for the sky, and was given a dusty floor *coff*
    LIGHT BLUE D&G : Say no more. Its KFC hand-wipes for all of 10 mins, then its "hasta la vista" baby!

1. Dzing
    2. Boss scents in general
    3. Kenneth Cole scents in general
    4. The Ferregamo scents
    5. The last 2 JP Gaultier scents (Fleur de Male and JPG 2).
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Jixjax View Post
    Terre D'Hermes for me. Bought it blind and it turns extremely bitter when I wear it. I think it's my chemistry. Sad thing is that I really wanted to like it. All I get is very bitter citrus. I think I was expecting a Roma or a Minotaure type of scent. I love those two.
    No no... that's the BEAUTY OF IT
    Anyway, my biggest disappointment is not because it's BAD but because it wasn't as "weird" as everyone says, in my opinion... and it is... CdG 2...

It smells rather pink floral to me. I am very open minded as well and this does not seem in the least unisex... I was a mouse click away from buying it blind but decided, thankfully, to get a sample first.
    Last edited by nthny; 6th October 2007 at 06:15 AM.

The Arpels variation of bandit edt rank beyond belief even the G/F didn't want it , i tried and tried again but this will never taint my body again.

Post Thanks / Like

VCA Pour Homme--so wanted this to be the one. It has a great following, great comments in the directory but just doesn't do it for me. Tsar is similarly disappointing.... maybe it is just not the right house for me.

I forgot one on my list (or, more properly, this should be #6 on my list): Scent Intense by Costume National.
    I was expecting dark and brooding, not sweet jasmine that lingers forever. I thought I was getting Goth, but instead I got girly.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 10th October 2007 at 05:18 PM.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Salvatore Ferragamo Subtil and Incanto
    Ralph Lauren Black, Polo Blue
    Givenchy Blue Label

But I am much more disappointed by the companies discontinuing Nemo, Coriolan, Helmut Lang, DG By, BMan, Yohji and a bunch of others. Secondly I am disappointed when I discover that they reformulated the wonderful originals like Obsession or Ungaro III.

Post Thanks / Like

Lagerfeld Classic
    Burberry Brit
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Arabie
    I Coloniali Aromatic Fragrance of Guajaco Wood
    M7
    Last edited by bbobkc; 10th October 2007 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Oops, I forgot M7
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Actually I think is my truest and biggest disappointment is when I purchased a 90% full bottle of Relax from a seller on E-Bay. The seller had many sales and had very positive feedback. It came quickly but the quality according to comparisons to minis I have was sub par. It had not completely turned bad but bad enough so I could not wear it. There was no return policy. The seller might not have even have known it wasn't very fresh. Out of the bottle Relax smells strange anyway......I didn't care about the money, I only lost($60.00), I just wanted to have a nice supply of Relax. I tossed it after about three tests. I'm willing to spend more for a good bottle but I'm afraid of screwing myself again on E-Bay. If I was to buy a NIB bottle, and it wasn't of a fine quality, with a seller that has a guarantee, is it returnable even after is has been open and tested? Minis for now. Damn. I do contact Davidoff Zino from time to time in E-mail asking them to bring it back to the states. I know my efforts are fruitless but I find a little comfort in my One man cruisade.
    Last edited by Jixjax; 10th October 2007 at 11:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

1) Egoiste. Medicine and booze mixed together for the top notes on a pencil-shaving base. Not for me.
    2) Dzing! I got a sample, thinking that it would be the magic scent that many Basenoters talk about... but I got something boring to my nose.
    3) Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Pour Homme. New from Procter & Gamble: a fragrance where the notes on the pyramid don't even match the juice! Where's the grapefruit, incense, and oakmoss that I was promised? Instead, I got another Acqua di Gio clone!
    4) Very Irresistible Givenchy For Men. Given my love of gourmands, I thought I'd love this. Not so. Wet dog, anyone?
    5) Gucci Pour Homme II. Yummy top notes, but a crap generic base. Another disappointment from P&G.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    1) Egoiste. Medicine and booze mixed together for the top notes on a pencil-shaving base.
    As I could buy a 5 ml bottle at a local shop I gave it another chance -about the 10th- and tried it at Douglas. Just my words.

Jean-Paul Guerlain's later scents - Mahora, Champs Elysees, many of the Aqua Allegorias.
    M7 - a very poor take on the oud note
    Dior Homme and Aprege Pour Homme - the same disgustingly sweet drydown on both
    Prada Pour Homme - not for this homme! Reminds me of my grandmother's handlotion
    A Men - this chocolate/praline/vanilla mixture started the whole nauseatingly sweet trend