Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Your 5 Biggest Disappointments Ever

Halston z-14 let me down big time.

Its Putrid. After reading the reviews I bought it blind. cant stand the stuff.

I was slightly disappointed by Habir Rouge. ITs gorgeous but not as good as i was anticipating

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    1) Egoiste. Medicine and booze mixed together for the top notes on a pencil-shaving base. Not for me.
    2) Dzing! I got a sample, thinking that it would be the magic scent that many Basenoters talk about... but I got something boring to my nose.
    3) Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Pour Homme. New from Procter & Gamble: a fragrance where the notes on the pyramid don't even match the juice! Where's the grapefruit, incense, and oakmoss that I was promised? Instead, I got another Acqua di Gio clone!
    4) Very Irresistible Givenchy For Men. Given my love of gourmands, I thought I'd love this. Not so. Wet dog, anyone?
    5) Gucci Pour Homme II. Yummy top notes, but a crap generic base. Another disappointment from P&G.
    Disagree with you on the Egoiste and agree on the Gucci and Light Blue .
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Creed Himalaya.
    2. Dior Homme.
    3. Body Kouros.
    4. Guerlain Vetiver.
    5. Ungaro III.

Post Thanks / Like

1 Mitsouko, it might be as brilliant as people say it is but because of associations it didn't do it for me
    2 Antimatiere, can't smell it
    3 Douce Amere, cant smell it
    4 Creed, years of reading basenotes and never being able to sample creed or buy it lead me to have huge expectations of many of the male creed offerings. I found the most loved to be rather weak, I expected real men scent tm and I found many to be fairly unisex I guess. There are a few brilliant gems in this house that definitly met my expectations but they were ones I never read about before. Makes you think right
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Gucci II? I have to say I respectfully disagree. I wore this yesterday and my reaction was more like "man, I smell good!" All day long I kept catching whiffs of it and liked it more and more. I wore 5 sprays, and I believe it would really take about 8 to project any.

But in terms of my personal enjoyment, it's a big winner. My wife really dug it as well when she buried her face in my neck. She liked it better than the AOS Sandalwood I got in the mail yesterday. I also like it better than the Richard James Savile Row I'm wearing today. Aw heck, I like it better than a lot of my other scents.

To each his own...
    (same).
    I'm with you my man! GPH2 is damn good! I love how I smell and feel in this one. It's my Kanye West fragrance. I put it on, and you can't tell me nothing! lol I don't understand how these same people will dog nice fragrancces like this but then talk all day about Kouros, Patou Pour Homme/Prive, or some other bland uninspiring fragrance.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

I do have my reservations coz ive turned 180 on the prevously detested.
    As for Now

1. Aigner X Limited
    2. CK escape
    3. Cold Benneton
    4. Davidoff Adventure
    5. Hugo

1. Other than Bois Du Portugal and Virgin Island Water, there's not a single Creed out there that I would spend that kind of money on. They're universally weak in longevity and sillage and many of the later offerings for men smell so similar and unisex that there's no point in getting more than one of them. Many of the smell-alikes last longer, smell just as good and cost a fraction of the Creed.

2. Bvlgari pour Homme / " " Extreme: One or the other, they're both the same weak citrus and boiled vegetable odor with no redeemable merits.

3. Amouage's men's line: Oh! I LOOOOOVE smelling like a lady! Montale does oud that smells like a man and I actually want to wear it for half the cost.

4. Tommy Bahama: All of them. Terrible, cheap, cloying nastiness.

5. Any female fragrance that reeks of powder and/or flowers. Wow, I haven't smelled that a million times since perfumery was invented.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 24th May 2009 at 08:56 PM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

1. Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue pour Homme
    2. Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue pour Homme
    3. Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue pour Homme
    4. Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue pour Homme
    5. Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue pour Homme
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

The longevity issues associated with:
    Mouchior de Monsieur
    Jicky
    Apres L'Ondee
    Sou le Vent
    Vol de Nuit

The only thing worse than this drama is the George W. Bush presidency.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th May 2009 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    1. Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue pour Homme
    2. Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue pour Homme
    3. Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue pour Homme
    4. Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue pour Homme
    5. Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue pour Homme
    Can someone please describe the hatred for this fragrance? All I ever see are outright slams with nothing to back it up. OK, I get it, it's another aquatic. But it's NOT bad. After Bulgari Aqua, Aqua Marine and Azzaro Chrome it's the only other aquatic I found worthy of a purchase. The woods and incense in the dry down really make it for me and makes it unique compared to others in the field. It's longevity is decent and strength is great for something labeled "light".

Was there some sort of hype machine that got everyone's hopes up, only to bash them on the ground as another aquatic was revealed? What more could you ask of a fragrance called LIGHT BLUE.

I thank the perfume gods that it has no similarity to the female version that smells of crushed up lemon pez and rubbing alcohol. Why anyone would want to smell like that is beyond me, especially a man.

The only thing I can think of is that this was one of the first fragrances I bought as I got into this wonderful scene. I actually bought shortly before discovering this site. So my nose wasn't inundated with "me too" aquatics left and right for years before hand. I wonder if it was one of the first few if it would be so disliked.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 24th May 2009 at 10:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, here goes:

1.) Dior Homme - It smells good on my wife and she likes it - on her. On me, meh.
    2.) Armani Prive Bois de Encens - blecch - this went back. I like incense type frags, but this one was too much.
    3.) A*Men - if you like it, good for you. I personally cannot stand it. A scrubber.
    4.) Versace Blue Jeans - this one went back, too.
    5.) Yatagan - bottled dog urine. Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I've made a complete 180 on Egoiste, here's my new and improved list:

1) Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men: The great note pyramid gave me great expectations, but the hideous scent left me high and dry.
    2) Guerlain Homme: They had a chance to do a modern classic for the young crowd, but in the end, I got Eau de Nothing.
    3) Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Pour Homme: New from Procter & Gamble: a fragrance where the notes on the pyramid don't even match the juice! Where's the grapefruit, incense, and oakmoss that I was promised? Instead, I got another Acqua di Gio clone!
    4) Creed Virgin Island Water: Banana Boat sunscreen smells exactly the same (if not better) for 1/20th of the price.
    5) Very Irresistible Givenchy For Men. Given my love of gourmands, I thought I'd love this. Not so. Wet dog, anyone?
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    Can someone please describe the hatred for this fragrance? All I ever see are outright slams with nothing to back it up. OK, I get it, it's another aquatic. But it's NOT bad. After Bulgari Aqua, Aqua Marine and Azzaro Chrome it's the only other aquatic I found worthy of a purchase. The woods and incense in the dry down really make it for me and makes it unique compared to others in the field. It's longevity is decent and strength is great for something labeled "light".

Was there some sort of hype machine that got everyone's hopes up, only to bash them on the ground as another aquatic was revealed? What more could you ask of a fragrance called LIGHT BLUE.

I thank the perfume gods that it has no similarity to the female version that smells of crushed up lemon pez and rubbing alcohol. Why anyone would want to smell like that is beyond me, especially a man.
    Because I can get the same effect by spritzing myself with lemon flavored seltzer water - and only have to pay $.99 for it. It is SOOOOO f'ing boring - and IMO a major letdown from the far superior Light Blue (which this man prefers to wear and smell like). But if you like, that's all that should matter.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 24th May 2009 at 10:27 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone please describe the hatred for this fragrance?
    It's not in the spirit of the women's Light Blue (a citrus woody) at all. If they did a men's in the spirit of the women's, they would have had a winner. But it doesn't smell or even have a remote resemblance to Light Blue for her, which I (and many other Basenoters) love.

Also, the pyramid doesn't match up with the notes of the scent. If it did, it would have smelled a lot better than it does.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Because I can get the same effect by spritzing myself with lemon flavored seltzer water - and only have to pay $.99 for it. It is SOOOOO f'ing boring - and IMO a major letdown from the far superior Light Blue (which this man prefers to wear and smell like). But if you like, that's all that should matter.
    But the lemon seltzer is exactly what the femme version is. There's no lemon in the men's frag. It's grapefruit peel and sandalwood and incense. I don't know, perhaps I have a reformulated version that smells exactly as the pyramid says. Boring? OK, I'll give you that. But it's not pretentious and I say that it accomplishes what it set out to. It's in the darn name of the product! It's a light aquatic. Hence, Light Blue. Eh, oh well. It will still outsell most of the favorites of the BN members. (Sad but true). I'm not saying it's the greatest thing since man first put essential oils in an alcohol base and spritzed it on himself, but it's not deserving of all the shit that's been dumped on it by Luca Turin and this message board.

I'm really going to have to try the femme version at a store. The two decants I got smell nothing alike and neither have any wood what so ever. But I don't have high hopes.

Haters keep on hatin'
    Last edited by PorkFat; 25th May 2009 at 01:34 AM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

But the lemon seltzer is exactly what the femme version is. There's no lemon in the men's frag. It's grapefruit peel and sandalwood and incense. I don't know, perhaps I have a reformulated version that smells exactly as the pyramid says. Boring? OK, I'll give you that. But it's not pretentious and I say that it accomplishes what it set out to. It's in the darn name of the product! It's a light aquatic. Hence, Light Blue. Eh, oh well. It will still outsell most of the favorites of the BN members. (Sad but true). I'm not saying it's the greatest thing since man first put essential oils in an alcohol base and spritzed it on himself, but it's not deserving of all the shit that's been dumped on it by Luca Turin and this message board.

I'm really going to have to try the femme version at a store. The two decants I got smell nothing alike. But I don't have high hopes.

Haters keep on hatin'
    Geez. Lighten up Francis. So other people have a different opinion of a fragrance then you do. I am sure it is not the first time, and it certainly won't be the last either. There are plenty of fragrances that I like that others don't - I really could care less. I am wearing it, not them.

BTW - I didn't say I hated it. The thread was about disappointments - and Light Blue pour Homme is a MAJOR disappointment to me. IMO, it is too bland and boring to hate - there isn't much of a smell to it.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 25th May 2009 at 02:06 AM.

Geez. Lighten up Francis. So other people have a different opinion of a fragrance then you do. I am sure it is not the first time, and it certainly won't be the last either. There are plenty of fragrances that I like that others don't - I really could care less. I am wearing it, not them.

BTW - I didn't say I hated it. The thread was about disappointments - and Light Blue pour Homme is a MAJOR disappointment to me. IMO, it is too bland and boring to hate - there isn't much of a smell to it.
    It's cool Pee Wee. I just don't want others forming an opinion without giving it a try. Sorry it came across as someone getting bent out of shape over something like this. I really wasn't.

Post Thanks / Like

LAdDM
    Lonestar Memories
    Rive Gauche
    Guerlain Vetiver
    C&S 88

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

It's cool Pee Wee. I just don't want others forming an opinion without giving it a try. Sorry it came across as someone getting bent out of shape over something like this. I really wasn't.
    Not a problem. We all have strong opinions about the fragrances we like and want to defend them. Now I hope no one has anything negative to say about Kouros....

Post Thanks / Like

1. Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme - This made people gag, so I threw it in the trash
    2. Azzaro Pure Lavande - This made ME gag, go I threw it in the trash
    3. Gucci Pour Homme II - At first I thought this was an acceptable Tea For Two Substitute, but it wasn't, so I threw it in the trash
    4. A*Men - I liked this the first time I tried it, and then hated it every other time; I gave it away rather than throwing it in the trash. It's someone else's problem now
    5. B*Men - Like Dolce and Gabbana PH, but so much worse, so I heaved that M*****F***** in the trash
    6. Azzaro Pour Homme - May have been cool years ago (doubtful) but now it's an embarassment; pawned it off to an unsuspecting lackey
    7. Quorum - See above
    8. Grey Flannel - Haven't had a chance to heave this monstrosity in the trash yet - will slam dunk this foul failure of a stench soon
    9. Banana Republic Black Walnut - the only thing I ever gave away that I miss; gave this away even though it's a perfectly acceptable Chergui substitute at a quarter the price. Disregard this one
    10. Anything by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. Great marketing, great T-shirts, great attitude; scents that will make you gag until your eyeballs turn red

Post Thanks / Like

Cartier Declaration
    Gucci by Gucci PH
    Guerlain Homme
    Jean Patou Voyage
    Dunhill Fresh

... all purchased blind on the strength of the brand before discovering Basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblowtorch View Post
    Threw it in the mutha truckin' trash, yo!
    You're throwing out a lot of money there. I hope those were decants and not something you could have made some money back by selling them. I've heard of disposable income but jeez...

Post Thanks / Like

You're throwing out a lot of money there. I hope those were decants and not something you could have made some money back by selling them. I've heard of disposable income but jeez...
    I learned my lesson. I got good prices for them on e-bay, so the damage isn't as bad as it could have been. I'll eventually sell or trade them.

1. Millesime Imperial - smelled to me just like Floris Special No. 127, and very close to DR Harris's Arlington.

2. Terre d'Hermes - moldy oranges in a granite coffin.

3. Dzing! - It smells like the elephant pen at the zoo.

4. Encre Noir - I like vetiver fragrances, but this one just doesn't do anything for me.

5. Burberry Brit - did not live up to the hype.
    - E.J.

1. D&G Light Blue pour homme - The most boring aquatic scent up to date comes along with a super gly, just like fake bottle.

2. Gucci by Gucci pour homme - The beautiful bottle can't rescue the light, "nothing" scent inside.

3. Guerlain Homme - If this Homme came from Ck, or Hugo, it's totally ok. But unfortunately...

4. YSL l'Homme ( also the Nuit version ) - Along with Guerlain, YSL lost their spirit with "these things" called Homme.

5. Montale Chocolat Greedy - The worst chocolat scent that I've ever tried.
    Last edited by chocolateguy; 25th May 2009 at 04:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For me, disappointments are usually because my expectations were too high. These may or may not be the biggest - I've forgotten a lot of them.

Himalaya (I expected the millesimes to be my thing - they weren't)
    Bulgari Aqua Marine PH (love the original, hoped for better or different, but got slightly less enjoyable)
    DKNY Men (new one - just a bit weak on me, and good stuff fades too quickly)
    Habit Rouge (I expected mythical - will come back and try again with realistic expectations)
    I Am King (call me fool, but I expected the Didster to at least match Unforgivable)

Lacoste pour Homme (Silver bottle)
    Bulgari Aqua
    212 Men
    Armani Diamonds
    Polo Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree: Smells nothing like original, too stuffy. Would rather go for Heritage.
    M7 Fresh: Nice try, but too synthetic and not worth the hype
    Cool Water: Milestone in perfumery, perhaps, but to me it's a toilet cleaner
    Chypre Rouge: I'm a big fan of Lutens/Sheldrake creations, but I can't tolerate this one.
    Green Irish Tweed: So what's the big fuss?
    Last edited by heythatslife; 26th May 2009 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    The complete Different Company line. On top is Osmanthus, with its nursery home smell, exactly what one reviewer stated.
    1. Bois d' Iris: liquid thin air
    2. Dilmun: the smell of toillets in an old people nursing home
    3. Vetiver Extraordinair; a few days before trying this I bought a cheap vetiver oil to butn on a lamp. My god it had the exact same smell.
    4. Vetiver Dance: although there is nothing unattractive to it, for some strange reason it makes me sick
    5. Carnal Flower: why is this considered more avant-garde or masculine or anything for that matter than any other tuberose?

At the moment there is only one disappointment, but a very big one.
    A fragrance I liked very much, even adored and of which I wrote a very favourable review.
    Amor Pour Homme by Cacharel

Now I detest the smell, so cheap and bitter smelling, like a vile body odour.
    What was I thinking and smelling?
    It reeks!

If only I could edit my review.
    It's a ridiculous review in which I make a comparison with Cacharel pour Homme, the 80's classic, claiming Amor is timeless whereas CpH is dated...ahum...recently I revisited Cacharel Pour Homme, bought a bottle and I am amazed how timeless and sophisticated and discrete this one is, unique for its time, you may say the Bulgari Pour Homme of the 80's
    Last edited by nout; 26th May 2009 at 06:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

1) Creed BdP
    2) Creed Orange Spice
    3) Guerlain Vetiver
    4) Habit Rouge
    5) Basala
    6) Geir Ness
    7) Rochas Lui
    8) Body Kouros

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Vetiver - Dental cement

Himalaya - Bottom of an old lady's purse

Unforgivable - Exactly

CDG 2 - Liquid Smoke

Geir - This one saddens me as it has so much potential, but the sweetness is too...uh..sweet
    Last edited by adonis; 26th May 2009 at 08:16 PM.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Not a problem. We all have strong opinions about the fragrances we like and want to defend them. Now I hope no one has anything negative to say about Kouros....

You're the bouncer for "Club Kouros". Officially!

imma fan too

I'm disappointed that I used to enjoy certain frags but now they nauseate me. I disliked Tauer's LADM from the first sampling, so I can't say I was hugely disappointed, though from the reviews I thought it would be great. Mostly, it's the lavender frags, or gourmand frags that have a strong lavender note, that became nauseating to me after initially enjoying them. Specifically, Montana red box, Witness (to a lesser degree), Rochas Man, Animale Animale for men, Chinatown, New Haarlem, etc. I'm still not sure about Horizon, because the lavender seems to be "tamed" somewhat by the marine notes, but it's not my kind of frag, so if I wear it once every two months it might be acceptable.

Post Thanks / Like

George W Bush
    Adam Lambert
    The new Star Wars movies
    Nikon D50 Camera
    the new facebook

oh wait we were talking about fragrance disappointment

1. Himalaya... there should be no "Him" in there... smells like nursing home and deodorant
    2. Guerlain Vetiver... why do you hate me so much Coriander?
    3. Live Jazz... see above
    4. Creed "new" Tabarome... ginger shavings over vomit and rotting vegetables
    5. CSP Aqua Motu... keep trying to love it... it keeps trying to make me nauseous
    At your service

Post Thanks / Like

In reverse order:

5. Dior Homme - as others have said, cosmetics counter smell
    4. Egoiste - way too sweet, way too feminine
    3. Terre d'Hermes - overripe/musty oranges that never leave
    2. Rive Gauche - just not how I want to smell... too spicy and less sweet than I expected. I really wanted to fall in love with this one!

And most of all...

Mugler Cologne/Paul Smith Story - I have no idea of what it is, but absolutely nausea inducing. Shocking for "safe" scents that are remarkably popular.

Just to be positive, I'll list the five I've been most surprised and impressed with:

1. Guerlain Vetiver - classy, fresh, versatile. Amazing, amazing stuff.
    2. Versace the Dreamer - the opening is not bad. Its actually good. The drydown is the stuff of legends.
    3. Azzaro pour homme - I am a nerdy, skinny academic. A macho cologne usually doesn't fit me but man this stuff is great.
    4. Guerlain Habit Rouge - must be the guerlinade. Or my psychology old brain. I love classic old scents.
    5. Dior Eau Savage - see #1 and #4.

S

Post Thanks / Like

Knize - Ten
    Chanel - Antaeus
    M7
    Incense Rose
    Sexual

Why would anyone be disappointed about Kouros after reading the BN reviews?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbobkc View Post
    lagerfeld classic
    burberry brit
    paco rabanne pour homme
    arabie
    i coloniali aromatic fragrance of guajaco wood
    m7
    i disagree...lagerfeld is awesome!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

5. All the non-aoud Montales. All of them have just been terrible on me. Old lady powder or way too sweet, or both.

4. Lalique Encre Noir. Not bad, just disappointing. Yes, it's a good scent but write-ups here had me expecting some sort of holy grail singing forth from the heavens. I sprayed it and thought "Oh. It's just vetiver."

3. Happy For Men by Clinique. Yeah, I know it's just a cheapie, but it smelled so fresh and good on the strip at the store. On me, fake fake fake and gross.

2. Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'Eau. Smelled INCREDIBLE on a friend, but nothing but artificial grapefruit on me that just kept getting sweeter and sweeter until it was nasty.

1. Tam Dao, also by Diptyque. Tried with glee after reading the multiple glowing reviews here, it got killed by its hidden civet. Like cinnamon vanilla coffee cake smeared on a dirty baby with a full diaper.

In the interest of positivity:

Some samples I expected absolutely nothing from that turned out to be great for me:

Chanel Allure Homme (chocolate cherry pipe tobacco - yum!)
    Lagerfeld Kapsule Floriental (like a warm weather Tobacco Vanille)
    Diptique Eau de Lierre (super-bright green happiness)
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Antaeus
    Lalique Encre Noir
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Dior Eau Sauvage

I too was at least somewhat surprised by Egoiste. I find the blend to be crude and it also has an un-natural quality to it. However, by the time I sampled it, I had experienced similar minor disappointments, and in this case my thought was that this was formulated when there were lower expectations in these areas, especially for a "men's" frag.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Your 5 Biggest Disappointments Ever

Quote Originally Posted by heythatslife View Post
    Green Irish Tweed: So what's the big fuss?
    This thread simply demonstrates how different our skin chemistries and preferences are. The big fuss my friend is Creed Green Irish Tweed is as close to Heaven as I have ever got with a fragrance.

My disappointments:

Creed BdP - A very nauseating Grandfather fragrance. I cannot comprehend the reputation of this one. If you want to smell like your 75 years old, go for it. No modernity whatsoever. An absolute wash off in my book. And by the way, I VERY much prefer the Millesimes, no matter how pedestrian some may think they are.

Creed Himalaya - Beautiful crisp fresh opening and absolutely ZERO longevity thereafter.

Amouage - Virtually every "masterpiece" this house has done. I do still maintain some hopes for Reflection.

Habit Rouge - Simply too heavy and musky for my taste. I simply cannot stand it. I had to put it up for a loss which another gentleman was very happy to acquire. That was indeed a win-win.

Black Aoud - I cannot comprehend why a man would want to go around and absolutely reek like roses and potentially offend everyone within 50 feet of him. I have grown so tired of Montale's Aoud offerings that I have a sample bag of approximately 20 of them, and I just do not see the point of sampling any more of his one trick act.

Serge Lutens - I LOVE Ambre Sultan. I have YET to sample anything else that Sheldrake has done that I would drop the considerable amount required for their extremely disappointing fragrances. Example? The very much anticipated Serge Noire. If I remember correctly, it was supposed to rise from the ashes like a Phoenix and pay eternal homage to night's rich plumage. What rose for me was a Phoenix absolutely stinking like a filthy cigarette ashtray paying eternal homage to an all night party of people with major substance abuse problems. I cannot comprehend why someone would want to go around reeking like cigarettes all day. Last time I checked, cigarette smoking causes over 400,000 very avoidable deaths in the USA each year.

Z-14 - NASCAR Enthusiast Mullet Headed Rat Piss! I returned it to Walreens to park it next to the Tim McGraw Stetson where it belongs.

Schopenhauer said the general rule in life is disappointment. I think he was right. I could go on all night criticizing extremely disappointing fragrances.

If I have criticized some of your favorite fragrances, please accept my apologies in advance.

We are indeed a community of different ladies and gentleman, and very different ladies and gentleman will necessarily have very different preferences about virtually everything, including fragrances.

Best,

TJ
    Last edited by TigerJuice; 27th May 2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Grammar!

- Guerlain Vetiver.. it stinks on my skin like toilet cleaner
    - Narsisco Rodriguez for Him - another toilet and whitening substance smell on my skin
    - Von App TSAR - it smell fecal to me ..
    - A Men, been trying to love it, but I cant, it makes me nausea

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    [B]

Best,

TJ
    Heh, I enjoyed your post

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, I'm not sure why I missed this thread 2 years ago but when I saw it in the forum I had to post.

1.Jicky EDP by Guerlain: Jesus, this stuff stinks like shit. This smells like you ground up lavender flowers and force fed them to a baby, had him shit them out and then smeared it on yourself. One thing that made this such a let down is that it had glowing reviews and was generally liked by men and women on the boards. I have yet to be impressed by a Guerlain scent.

2.Gucci Envy: From the notes and reviews this one looks promising. Key word in that scentance is "looks." Sure enough this stuff is pleasant enough but really it just boils down to a powdery vanilla oriental which is much better done in Jaipur EDP.

3. Spirit of the Tiger by Heeley: I love the Heeley scents. Period. They may be a bit overpriced but they all have excellent longevity and sillage on me. Spirit of the Tiger just smells like you raided a spice rack and busted all the worse smelling bottles and tried to clean up the mess with a light citrusy cleaner. Also zero longevity.

4.Sables by Annick Goutal: First off, I love sweet scents. All the scents that everyone bitches about being "sickly sweet" I love. That being said, the people that bitch about stuff being "sickly sweet" needs to try Sables. This stuff smells like maple syrup with bacon and whole wheat pancakes. Sounds like a good breakfast, dont it? Unfortunatley it dosent make a good scent at all. This stuff goes on and feels 4 times thicker than any Lutens made. So, all you "sweet" haters, try this and I believe your bar for "too sweet" will be reset.

5.CDG original EDP: CDG lover here. Most of their scents are fairly approachable, even if they take a little getting used to at first. The original EDP is where I draw the line. All I can say is this stuff smells like medicine. Not medicinal, but pure medicine. You know when you get prescribed a horrible pill that you have too take to get rid of your foot fungus, bad breath, clap, or herpes? Well rest assured that when you open up the pill bottle and smell whats inside, you know what CDG's original EDP smells like.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, took me some time to think of these but here goes:

Royal Aoud- Smells like a doctor's office. Not the same medicinal smell as most aouds, it smells like rubber doctor's gloves and not much else.

Geir- Talk about potential being wasted. This is the definition of "cologne-y", massive headache inducer and just too sweet.

The entire Cereus Line- How, I wanted to love one of these, the bottles look great, the concept of a higher end designer scent appealed to me, but boy are these boring and strangely synthetic.

Vetiver Extraordinaire- Just so mediocre. CdG Vettiveru is similar and a fraction of the cost.

Amouage Reflection and Silver Man- Both had high hopes for, both are boring. Reflection is way too powdery and sweet, and Silver Man is just quiet and boring.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by music_healing View Post
    - Von App TSAR - it smell fecal to me ..
    Perhaps you should "throw it away" to me then. : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unforgivable
    kouros
    obsession
    narciso-rodriguez
    Dior Homme
    A* Men
    Last edited by ausamamira; 27th May 2009 at 02:09 PM.

Brooklyn - Bond No. 9
    Tom Ford for Men
    Sycomore - Chanel
    Guerlain - Vetiver
    Malle - Entire Line

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Aramis Life - didn't expect this type of a generic fragrance from Aramis
    Guerlain Vetiver (current) - I had experienced the vintage EDC/EDTs before this, and those are vastly different (and better) scents.
    Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan - is that what you call dirty!
    Amouage Arcus - drug-store generic scent
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Amouage Arcus - drug-store generic scent
    How could I forget that one! What a dissapointment for me, it smelled so generic and fruity.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprise at the hostility towards some fragrances... everyone has their own taste but not liking a scent isn't the same as it being 'sh!t'. For example Jicky has been around 120 years so it obviously appeals to a lot of people. I can grasp not liking it but you've got to respect it.

Anyway, some disappointment (but not necessarily dislikes) of mine :

Dans tes Bra - interesting concept but I don't want to smell like this

Oud 27 - I was hoping for something bold like Patchouli 24

Bond 9 Brooklyn - great bottle average scent

La Myhrre - too medicinal for me

Cristalle Eau Verte - pleasant enough but not special enough to carry the name 'cristalle' (or Chanel)

Post Thanks / Like

Dolce & Gabanna Light Blue Pour Homme - This one has been mentioned alot, I bought it, wore it for a few weeks, but when somebody asked me if I was wearing AdG, I gave it to my dad right away. Nothing against AdG, but I don't like smelling like everyone else.

Versace Man - I had bought Versace Man Eau Fraiche before getting the original version. Love the Eau Fraiche, the original was a let down. Not at all what I expected...I was wanting a sexy tobacco scent, I got an unbalanced, "rough" scent. It just seems like it's missing an element.

Givenchy Very Irresistible Fresh Attitude - I bought this at the beginning of my fragrance hobby, the more I wore it, the worse it smelled. Chocolate and mint? I've never liked that combination in candy, I definately don't like it as a fragrance. Nothing against mint and chocolate in fragrance, I actually enjoy both, but the combination of the two...no thank you.

Montale Soleil de Capri - While it is a more natural smelling Light Blue (women's scent), it wasn't really much of an improvement. I'll stick with Light Blue.

John Varvatos - So many ingredients, so many smells, makes for a very uninteresting sweet fragrance. It doesn't really evolve on my skin either. I was expecting this to be a multifaceted, complex fragrance, all I get is sweet, sweet, sweet. Nothing against sweet frags, but there are so many more interesting fragrances in this area.

Terre d' Hermes
    Ricve Gauche
    Dior Homme
    M7
    Mugler Cologne

all the Creed, Bond and more "popular" niche lines.

When I first came to Basenotes, stuff like those were highly praised in every thread. And then I tried them. I expected such wonderful bliss but they were all just another cologne.

Now the following are ones I've read the marketing for or note and have been disappointed.

Dunhill London
    Dunhill Black
    Canali Style
    Cerruti pour Homme

Since these I've decided to never blind buy (again) and read marketing descriptions and to sample first.

I rarely agree with Mr. Turin, but I am completely in his corner when he wrote,
    "Probably the worst masculine in production today, a combination of, it seems, only two armour -piercing notes that happen to be the most unpleasant in perfumery, marine and woody amber: plague and cholera at once."

The only thing I can think of is that this was one of the first fragrances I bought as I got into this wonderful scene. I actually bought shortly before discovering this site. So my nose wasn't inundated with "me too" aquatics left and right for years before hand. I wonder if it was one of the first few if it would be so disliked.
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olivieroraffaele View Post
    Here we go:

5. Brit for Men- Smelled great on my ex-boyfriend, but when I tried it at Macy's it smelled like rancid lemons on my skin.
    I think you mistakenly sampled a bottle of Burberry Weekend aka "Weekend in Hell".
    Last edited by boston; 27th May 2009 at 08:08 PM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Polo Modern Reserve - Mediocre, at best, and a pale shadow of the original. I also found it to have below average sillage and longevity. Oh I had such high expectations.................
    Last edited by petruccijc; 27th May 2009 at 08:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

tvlampboy----"L'ANTIMATIERE BY LES NEZ
    There's minimalist and then there's minimalist, ya know? For that kind of money, I ought to be able to at least smell the stuff!
    Sometimes I think that the perfumers who created this stuff are laughing at all the critics trying to analyze the glorified grain alcohol that they (the perfumers themselves) marketed as an expensive fragrance."

So beautifully put! I thought it was just me! I smelled absolutely nothing!

Great topic. My recent (because ever is too hard to recall) disappointments are:

CdG Stephen Jones
    FM Une fleur de cassis
    FM Musc Ravageur
    Goutal Matin d'Orage
    Guerlain Shalimar
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Wow...Chergui keeps coming up. Now i'm not so much in a hurry to try it.

Oscar Pour Lui- one of the most vile, sickening things my poor nose has had the misfortune to smell. Dracula's cough syrup.

Trussardi L' Uomo- Probably the second-most-vile. Rotten green tomatoes.
    Funny as hell with the Dracula comment. I used to wear Pour Lui back in the day and I swear it was a gazillion times better than today's vile concoction. And L' Uomo, I believe this is the one that smells like dirty wet dog. WTF is up with that? Seriously, wet stinky dog. I don't get it.

Lanvin Oxygen makes me gag. Whatever that prominent note that is present makes me sick and I've smelled that note in several other frags from the past few years, let's hope it's a fad. Lanvin Homme on the other hand is stellar.

Pinnaud Lilac Vegetal smells like a dump. Otherwise I tend to think Pinnaud frags are excellent.
    Peace ~ Markymark