Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gathering Apples and Black March - CB I Hate Perfume

I have come to the conclusion that CB I Hate Perfume, the line of perfume waters and oils by Christopher Brosius, is the olfactory equivalent of a collection of short stories. Short, skillfully crafted, little things - that can be extremely satisfying even though they last a very short time.

Since the line is not inexpensive, I haven't really had a chance to explore in depth the scents. Most that I've smelled already I have liked (Greenbriar 1968's oily garden gloves; Burning Leaves autumnal memories; At The Beach 1966 in all of it's kitschy campy Coppertone scented self). I decided to get some that I'd only smelled briefly and get a large decant to give them full wearings - so I chose Black March and Gathering Apples.

Black March is quite possibly the BEST top note of dirt I have ever smelled in a fragrance - light years above what Dirt from Demeter is. BM smells like wet dirt (mud?) and this dirt has lots of sand in it and pieces of dried grass, hay and dust. The wetness kind of eases off a little and then allows this new place of 'dirt' you've arrived at to settle in on your skin. Once it does, it reminded me of playing as a kid in my backyard, at dusk. The smell of the sprinkler in my backyard. The croaking of the frogs and crickets in the summer night. A garden hose dragged off the lawn into the shed, caked with dirt and water. Amazing how CB does this...just amazing.

Gathering Apples suprised me initially - I expected a much tarter green apple top note (you know, like Be Delicious by DKNY), but instead I got the instantaneous smell of an apple orchard. I don't know what apple trees smell like (they don't grow in Miami) but I know what a pile of apples smells like at the supermarket. The stems. The leaves. I smelled a little hay, but then I realized it was really the smell of straw (a straw basket to carry your apples in when you 'gather them'...) This is what GA smells like. I could smell the hot sun on my face and the breeze in the background carrying the scent of fruit trees. I've said this before - this layered with Burning Leaves is a one-two punch of Thanksgiving / Autumn memories just waiting to be released in your olfactory psyche.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gathering Apples and Black March - CB I Hate Perfume

Aww poor Mike wrote all of this out, and to no replies Well, Gathering Apples sounds nice, something that would be great to wear whilst just lounging about in your garden. I'm a big fan of dirty scents (Kingdom, Rose 31) but i'm scared that any of the CB dirty smells will be TOO real.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Gathering Apples and Black March - CB I Hate Perfume

Thanks for the descriptions Mike! As usual, I find your descriptive posts very vivid and informative.

Anyway, I'm very interested in both of these fragrances.
    Lately, I've been really diggin' dirty scents ever since I've been introduced to Route du Vetiver, which I loved instantly. (thank you, Mike!)
    My childhood included digging for worms with my bare hands in moist soil, and making mud cakes and building dirt forts to play with my GI-Joe, He-Man and Thundercat action figures...so naturally I'd have a predelection toward Black March.

Your Gathering Apples description hits home for me. Every year, when my brother and sister and I were little, my parents took us to this place called Roger's Orchards in Southington, CT to pick and gather apples around the middle of October. The smell filling the crisp October air at the orchard is almost exactly as you described.. the smell of hay-strewn pathways between the perfect rows of apple trees, the fragrant wooden baskets to carry the apples you've gathered, and the sweet scent of fallen leaves and the occasional blessing of the afternoon sun's warmth on the wings of a gentle breeze filling your nostrils with the one of the most breathtakingly beautiful love songs only nature herself can compose.
    I have been searching a really long time for something that resembles that magical smell... but haven't found anything yet.
    I'll definitely have to give this a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Am being brave enough to wear Black March today, it does feel a little strange to smell of dirt lol. Its amazing how he can create such a life like picture from scent! I can smell coriander,but maybe that's just me?
    [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][COLOR="#9932cc"]''Wear perfume wherever you want to be kissed''[/COLOR][COLOR="#9932cc"] Coco Chanel[/COLOR]

Black March actually sounds pretty cool, I'll have to look for a sample.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he's a pretty skilled composer, my only criticism though is that I feel like many of his scents are better suited to a room spray format rather than personal fragrance, which makes sense since he is really trying to recreate a place/time rather than some sort of 'cologne/perfume'.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

CB is a "story teller" of scents of nature. BLACK MARCH and BURNING LEAVES are outstanding! I also really liked CB93 (pines, mint, ozone, incense), ETERNAL RETURN (the smell of land after days crossing the sea) and WALKING IN THE AIR (storm clouds, ozone, lightening, mushrooms, fresh air). Also very nice are UNDER THE ARBOR (red grapes and grape leaves with dirt) and GREENBRIAR (very wood shop/lumberyard with fresh cut wood, old paper, green branches, snips of tobacco and leather). His small size is a reasonable sample size and this line must really be tested. Some of his stories go to a very personal place that I don't always relate to very well - an example is MEMORY OF KINDNESS (very green and kind of impersonal tomato leaf oil).

Post Thanks / Like

Adding one more vote for 'Black March'. My sister and I went out mushroom hunting yesterday, and I had brought along a sample.

"I don't know if I want to smell like dirt" but she ended up loving it.

The dirt is mostly in the top notes, and this scent is something I could wear every day. Well worth looking into, particularly if you are the sort who loves working in the soil.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

After having gone to the CBIHP store in Brooklyn, I can say that he has some store-only absolutes that tackle the world of dirt that is explored in Black March. Not necessarily more of the same, but there really are many variations on the same theme. For dirt lovers like me, it was a lot of fun to sniff all of them.

I also recommend Firefly by Demeter - sort of a poor-mans version of Black March. Not quite as wet smelling, but still very dirt, outdoors prominent.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac