Code of Conduct

Default Gourmands: main courses, side dishes, and other non-dessert items

The vast majority of "gourmand" fragrances, it seems to me, conjure up desserts: vanilla pudding, chocolate cake, Turkish delight, mint-chocolate cookies, and the like.

Are the fragrances of more savory dishes mostly off limits in perfumery? Probably no one wants to smell like boiled brussel sprouts or a baked ham. But who knows?

I can think of a few scents that feature curry spices devoid of any sweetness. Diptyque's L'Autre is one, and today I'm wearing a sample of Oriental Lumpur by Les Nereides. The latter is rather reminiscent of chicken curry, and yet I rather like it (although I doubt I'd spring for a full bottle).
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Default Re: Gourmands: main courses, side dishes, and other non-dessert items

Yatagan comes to mind instantly for me, particularly with its strong celery note.

Rive Gauche has a distinctly savory note in its use of cumin, as do many other cumin-heavy frags. (I wonder if any frags out there make use of turmeric?) Tarragon and basil come across as fairly sweet on my skin (witness the old Bob Mackie for Men in regards to basil).

Hmmm -- good question, Paul! So far, only Yatagan comes across (for me) as distinctly gourmand in a notably savory way. Yatagan is (and I mean this in a good way, no matter how it sounds) very like what a sexy Turkish cabbie must smell like after having eaten roast lamb with celery root, and then having sweated just a little. (And yes, I LOVE it!)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 2nd October 2007 at 11:26 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Kolnisch Juchten starts almost fatty, like some beef dish

Off-Scenter

Baime is salad dressing on me.

Lonestar Memories is a Slim Jim.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 3rd October 2007 at 12:02 AM.

Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise is Cucumber juice
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

I totally agree with Baime = salad dressing (except somehow I love wearing it)

Never tried some of these others. Does the cucumber effect last with Beyond Paradise, or is it a top-note that fades?
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Liquid Karl smells like bread, yes, but it's a fairly sweet Continental loaf we're talking about. But somewhat savory, too.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Dyptique - L'Autre is definitely a spicy main dish, somedays entirely too "middle eastern restaurant" to wear

Basenotes Institution

Bois Farine by L'Artisan smells like bread
    Dzonghka by L'Artisan smells like pickles in brined vinegar

SL Arabie smells pretty foody...the first time I sniffed it I thought it smelled exactly like this tangy Indian dish I had had before called pomegranate curry.

No one mention Givenchy Very Irresistible (way too underrated here)
    Coffee and Nuts

Finally tried MPG's Baïme for the first time last night.

Y'all were right -- and then some! It IS salad dressing on me -- it IS! Yup, it smells just like Miracle Whip mixed with basil or something! Freaky! (And not for me.) But a fun try anyway -- for a while there, I felt like eating my left wrist with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 8th October 2007 at 03:01 AM.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]