Code of Conduct

Default Thinking about Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie - help

Ok, I like my heavy scents a LOT - Trussardi, Bmen, Ungaro III, Gucci PH, Michael Kors. Right now I'm wearing Rochas Lui. I'm thinking about this Montale, and also getting Intense Tiaré for the gf. What do you think, should I go for it? I don't have a lot of experience with niche frags, so I am hesitant to buy blind, but tempted. What do you say? The reason I would NOT do this is because I visited the Bond store in NY this summer, and so many of the frags were too sweet or too powdery - the Bond stuff (though some of it was nice) just seemed kindof over the top from scent to scent. I wouldn't want that to happen here, especially with the Intense Tiaré - she should be able to wear and love that thing.

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Thinking about Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie - help

Montale, as a house, is utterly unlike Bond. The Montale oud scents are rarely sweet, Aoud Amber being a major exception. I love Aoud Cuir d'Arabie, but I don't think it's a scent to buy blind - way too far from mainstream to be a guaranteed hit. On the other hand, if you really enjoy Ungaro III, then perhaps there's a good chance Cuir d'Arabie will work for you.

While I think Cuir d'Arabie is a beautiful scent, I wouldn't call it heavy. It's also not a powerhouse. The oud in this is light and the leather stays pretty close to the skin. I love it and highly recommend it but it probably shouldn't be bought blind.

If the Bond stuff was over the top for you, then getting your ass kicked by a biker gang probably wouldn't be your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe View Post
    If the Bond stuff was over the top for you, then getting your ass kicked by a biker gang probably wouldn't be your thing.
    I meant over the top sweet. I can't imagine a leather or gasoline or tar powered scent, that is generally accepted as being "good", that I would not like. The Montale that I mention seems to be considered very good. The Bond stuff is for fairies. I couldn't find anything in there that was not too sweet, including many of the women's scents.

I've said it many times... Oud Cuir d'Arabie packs some serious funk. The first five minutes smell like a dirty leper's crotch that has fallen off and been taped back on with week-old bandaids! Say it with me, "Peee Ewww!"

It does get better as time goes on-- but it's still kind of iffy. It's really not something to buy blind.

Definitely not a blind buy! Cuir d'Arabie is probably the dirtiest and most hardcore of the leather juices on the shelves and it deserves imo time to get used to it and some tries to understand and appreciate its concoction. It's kinda love or hate scent so don't buy it blind.

I don't know about Cuir d'Arabie, but you mentioned Intense Tiaré. I bought Intense Tiaré, Ginger Musk and Crystal Flowers for the GF in the Montale sale. They're all good, but Ginger Musk is great IMO - not too heavy, very good longevity, fruity and uplifting. Intense Tiaré is good, but a bit too heavy for my tastes. Crystal Flowers, I'm still to decide. My girlfriend likes the Ginger Musk best too btw.
    Current favourites: Silver Mountain Water - Terre d'Hermes - Erolfa - Fou d'Absinthe - Sequoia

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    The first five minutes smell like a dirty leper's crotch that has fallen off and been taped back on with week-old bandaids!
    ROFL! , excelent! made me spill my coffee!

Have to admit it was my first impression too! scared me to death, this one. I bought this blind too. DON'T buy this blind, please.
    I almost didn't dare to try out any other Montale scent.
    I got over it and bought Black Aoud and I totally love this one.
    Last edited by eric; 3rd October 2007 at 04:32 PM.

There is nothing sweet about this like others have said you get the full almost medicinal blast of aoud which morphs into what i would say is the most true leather as in jackets and wallets that i have ever smelled by the way it blends with attar like a dream.
    Last edited by fenton_t_fox; 3rd October 2007 at 09:18 PM.

Wow - alright folks you convinced me.

I'm holding off for now - maybe I'll get a sample first lol.

Got this one lind a coupe of days ago from the big Montale sale. Got a 50mL and they gave me another 50mL of it free!

This is pretty intense stuff! Not that the fragrance is very loud or strong - it actually stays close to the skin and is very, very smooth vs the prickliness of some of the other Montale Aouds and Attar. When it comes to being a leather, this is one of the very few leathers I've tried that actually smells like real leather. Most leathers just smell like the chemicas you spray on leather.

However, it's *extremely* funky - i.e. it smells like barnyard ass. It doesn't smell anything like Muscs Koublai Khan, but it has the same kind of primal, carnal aspect to it. Fortunately the barnyard ass notes dissipate early on, and some sweetness comes through, but it's really not for everyone. I'm fascinated with it, and may come to adore it, but as of yet, I'm thinking I'll be swapping this one...
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    While I think Cuir d'Arabie is a beautiful scent, I wouldn't call it heavy. It's also not a powerhouse. The oud in this is light and the leather stays pretty close to the skin. I love it and highly recommend it but it probably shouldn't be bought blind.
    This is my take on Oud Cuir d'Arabie too. It is smooth, light and elegant really. For me its lightness is also its downfall as I am lucky to get three hours life out of it. While it does last it is a wonderfully masculine leather frag....the best I've tried in years. And happilly I don't get any of the more horrifying odors some people get from this.

Yeah, the topnotes absolutely reek! But I would agree with others about it being a brilliant leather frag. These type of scents are usually problematic for my skin but Aoud Cuir d'Arabie worked like a dream.

The only thing that ruined it for me wasn't actually those opening notes but its disappointing longevity and sillage. If things had been different, I'd have ordered a bottle of this during the sale.

THere's an earlier post in this thread that gives a hilarious description of it - something about a leper's crotch...

But those notes do go away fast (usually) and leave you with an incredible real life, smooth and mellow leather. But yes, no sillage, and short longevity - but the short longevity is a bit deceptive - you might think it's gone, but several hours later if your body heats up, it starts to project again.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

This is one of the finest (arabian) leathers launched in recent times ... does anyone know the characteristics of arabian leather?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    This is one of the finest (arabian) leathers launched in recent times ... does anyone know the characteristics of arabian leather?
    as eric would say: leather shoes!
    I would like to add: "shiny, shiny - shiny boots of leather"
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon