Code of Conduct

Default Opening the packaging

Let's say a typical EDT fragrance can last about 2 years if kept in a cool, dark place.

Does this 2 year countdown begin from:
    a) When the fragrance is manufactured in the factories?
    b) You take it out of the box?
    c) You take it out of the box, open the lid and start spraying?

I'd like to know because I just purchased a 125ml bottle of something (my new signature scent) and I was thinking of finishing off some of my older scents first.

Default Re: Opening the packaging

I think the premise is false. If properly stored, a typical edt can last much longer than 2 years.
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

You really can't judge that because, as stated before, a bottle often last years past your time frame, and because you don't know the factory situation. The bottle could be 5 years old when you buy it and could have been in a warm factory. It is just too hard to tell.

If you keep it safe, under constant, cool temeratures, and out of light then you will have bottles for 10 years. I guarentee.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    I think the premise is false. If properly stored, a typical edt can last much longer than 2 years.
    This is just a number from the top of my head... the oldest fragance I have is about 2 years old.

QUOTE=EnvYuS]...If you keep it safe, under constant, cool temeratures, and out of light then you will have bottles for 10 years. I guarentee.[/QUOTE]
    hmmm wow that is pretty long! I already take care of my collection as you specified... guess it'll last pretty long.

One more thing though... some fragrances were manufactures in the 80s and 90s. If a shop kept these fragrances would there be some sort of law saying they have to get rid of it after a few years?

A lot of times they reformulate the fragrance and they make new bottles all the time. Unless the fragrance was discontinued there are new bottles made constantly so they aren't actually 10-20 years old.

The doubt there are many, if any stores with bottles that old. But I do not know of any rule that states that a shop owner has to discard bottles after a certain amount of time.

I have the original bottle of Joop! that I bought when it was first released in 1986.

It spent MANY years in a box, the last 2 of which was kept in my garage (year round) until I found the bottle again.

It still smells like the day I bought it.

Normally once you introduce oxygen to the scent by depressing the spray nozzle for the first few times is when the "clock starts ticking". However as others above have mentioned, if stored correctly you can expect at least a few years shelf life.
    Really it depends on the scent.