Code of Conduct

Default Gianni Campagna Vento Canale

I spoke highly of Campagna's Scilla and Cariddi here some time ago, a very comfortable to wear christmassy clove I'll be wearing alot 'round X-mas time . Today I'm trying Vento Canale, named for a wind that blows through the Strait of Messina.
    Well, quite frankly, the meaningless naming of these perfumes after Signore Campagna's alleged memory sites is totally misleading and doesn't do the fragrances justice at all. Since he's a men's tailor, why did they not associate them with situations, places or other aspects of a well-groomed gentlemenan's life, since that is what they seem to embody. Vento Canale , for one, should be called "The Drawing Room" or "The Library." Pure and simply it is a sweet boozy pipe tobacco and automatically conjures up images of English club chairs, leatherbound volumes and the whole Georgian mansion bit. Needless to say it shares qualities with Caron's Aimez-Moi, which is a tad sweeter in a feminine way (the cookie-doe in the kitchen is absnt here). It also reminds me of Bogart pour homme, on the spot I would say that this is a more refined version, Bogart having been quite a sledgehammer (also, it features cherry, as I recall). I'm wearing this with green cordury trousers, a Harris tweed jacket and a green striped raw silk shirt and I feel like a country squire in a leisurely mood, with pipe and hand. Perfect for non-smokers who would like to project that image. Very good at what it does. I don't need a whole bottle of this, but a decant would be great.

Notes:
    Rum, clary sage, carrot seeds, Davana
    Cedarewood, lilly
    Curryleaves, amber, tobacco, musk, honey, raspberry, vanilla, cocoa, pine balm, vetiver
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Gianni Campagna Vento Canale

The_good_life - sorry to go completely off topic in my reply but...

Have you had the chance to smell the Campagna Quaeri? I just received a sample from a decanter I bought some decants from and I've never even heard of this Gianni Campagna line. All I could find was that it's unisex and the notes are: rum, clary sage, carrot seeds, davana, cedar, lily, amber, tobacco, musk, honey, vanilla, cacao, and vetiver.

Oh and also, what the hell is davana?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th April 2008 at 01:38 AM.

Davana is some some sort of 'wormwood'. It belongs to the same family as absinth.

It's also in Rococo Homme from Joop!
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The_good_life - sorry to go completely off topic in my reply but...

Have you had the chance to smell the Campagna Quaeri? I just received a sample from a decanter I bought some decants from and I've never even heard of this Gianni Campagna line. All I could find was that it's unisex and the notes are: rum, clary sage, carrot seeds, davana, cedar, lily, amber, tobacco, musk, honey, vanilla, cacao, and vetiver.

Oh and also, what the hell is davana?
    No, sorry, I've only have a sample of VC and own Scilla. But considering this comes from the same stable as Caraceni, C&S, and Tremlett (used to) do, I would expect the entire line to be very good quality. In Germany, I've only ever seen them at First in Fragfrance. And I've never read about them anywhere.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 12th April 2008 at 09:06 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I sent a sample of Tobaco Latino to a hard-core perfumista, and she told me that the two smell very similar. Here is the official blurb for Tobaco Latino:

"TOBACCO LATINO, the sweet and familiar aroma of the famous Cuban cigars. The base note, in which the rustic freshness of laurel, and clary sage is complemented by a touch of rum, and leads to a delicately flowery heart of lily of the valley, and freesia, complemented by the fruity tones of coconut, and raspberry. The richly woody background notes of vetiver, sandalwood, and cedarwood highlight the tobacco note, sweetened with a touch of honey."