Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Fragrance Reviews

It seems to be a pity that the reviews section of the site isn't up and running as I believe it is an essential part of learning new scents. Unless I have the chance to smell a new scent on the market (or infact an old one that isn't in shops anymore) I turn mostly to basenotes to come to a decision on whether a fragrance would be right for me. In a follow-up to a previous thread that questioned the validity of basenoters reviews, I strongly agree that they are useful, and that even a small review making comparisions to other scents, or things (e.g. smells like freshly cut grass or reminds me of petrol) help to build up a picture of whether it would be a suitable scent for a person wishing to know more. The reviews (especially the fragrances that have copious reviews) have been beneficial to me and is a vital part of the community. I'm sure that others would agree with me, but understand that the site has had it's problems and moving servers etc.I just hope that Basenotes still keeps functioning for years to come as I have not found another fragrance site like this.

...And after all that I was wondering if any of you could pass judgement on any of the following fragrances that are yet to have reviews, all of which are 2007:
    Azzaro Now Men
    David Beckham Instinct Intense
    Cerruti pour Homme
    Noir by Christian Lacroix
    Black Sun by Salvador Dali
    F pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo
    Very Sexy Attraction for Men
    Kouros Tattoo Edition
    ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧UK Sale Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for sale UK✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10) LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Default Re: Fragrance Reviews

I'm not sure what you're referring to - I can access the Reviews section with no problem. However, I do sort of miss the star rating feature, although as time passes I've come to realize that it definitely had its flaws.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 3rd October 2007 at 04:53 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I think Vawallpa is referring to members's inability to post NEW reviews, thus making impossible for thoughtful, kind, and straight-up gentlemen who are fellow members to be able to read and consider newly released fragrances. Fragrances released since the review posting ability came to a halt, that is.

I too have been using the reviews more often lately, and I heartily agree with you, Vawallpa. There's nothing like a good review that compares scents to others and to other familiar things we smell in life.

Unfortunately, the list of scents you're interested in is too new for my nose's experience. Wish I could give a review, dang! Sorry I can't help more, but I look forward to testing out any new Azzaro.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Anything in the works to get those features (adding new reviews & assigning rating stars) back up? I've been missing them as well.
    For swap/sale: Dior Leather Oud, Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Quote Originally Posted by ebear View Post
    Anything in the works to get those features (adding new reviews & assigning rating stars) back up? I've been missing them as well.
    Ebear and everyone, I sincerely wish I could say for sure.

I can say that Grant is getting back and has been handling several site problems over the last few days. He might not have the connection speed he wants yet, or the time required, but I've gotten notices from him that movement on his list of things to do has started and that updates and changes are part of the near vision instead of the far vision.

Wish I knew and could say more.
    --Chris

Thanks for the update, Chris, much appreciated.

While we're at it, another (older) very helpful feature that would be nice to have again was the listing of links to threads on particular frags following the reviews.
    For swap/sale: Dior Leather Oud, Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

From what I can gather, Tattoo is just Kouros in a funky bottle. (Isn't that so?)

Am anxious to try Black Sun, but haven't yet. (I love both Laguna and Dali pour Homme, and Black Sun sounds WAY cool.)

The original Cerruti pour Homme is one of the best blended fragrances ever made, IMHO. Crisp and citrusy and floral and musky all at once -- a must-have if you can get it. It's hard to get here in the States (see recent thread); however, it seems to be readily available in the UK and most of the EC. The new stuff, though? Haven't tried it yet -- let's hope it is even one-half the frag that the original was.

In short, I'm not much help, now am I?
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 3rd October 2007 at 08:55 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Red face Re: Fragrance Reviews

I understand Grant's position, and it is very difficult I am sure, but I sure miss posting reviews. Sometimes I would go out just to try a few things, get some samples and "experiment" with new stuff just to be able to report back to the group, especially if it's something I liked.

interesting...i find cerruti to be a bit sharp

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    I understand Grant's position, and it is very difficult I am sure, but I sure miss posting reviews. Sometimes I would go out just to try a few things, get some samples and "experiment" with new stuff just to be able to report back to the group, especially if it's something I liked.
    I sure hear that loud and clear. That is a fun thing to do after swinging by a counter for tests and after a day in a sample. It really makes the hobby fun by productivity, and the site and all the readers benefit in similarly great measure.

Part of the best of the site, actually. Well, one of many bests of the site.
    --Chris