Code of Conduct

Talking Envy or M7. . . which do you select?

Hello everyone,

I'm in a dilemma and can't decide what to wear. A friends birthday party is coming up this weekend. We'll head out to a club. Lots of young women (20-28yrs old) will be with us. Once inside the venue I am hoping to get a few good reactions from my scent, if not thats well too.

So far it's either M7 or Envy but feel free to check out the wardrobe and recommend whatever.

Default Re: Envy or M7. . . which do you select?

Out of those 2, Envy seems most fitting for a club scene. I think M7 could be a little too overpowering.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Ermmm... neither?!

BTW, welcome to Basenotes!

I agree that more women will be attracted to the Envy but I would probably pick M7 otherwise.

M7 is the more interesting of the two, perhaps, but Envy is (for me) FAR more wearable.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

If you want women to like how you smell, I'd wear your L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme or 212 definitely. I don't like either of them particularly, but I think you'll get a better reaction from women than with M7 or Envy.

My experience is that girls our age in their 20's like the generic, mainstream fragrances over anything original and different. Not all women of course, but lots. Bear in mind that they probably aren't into fragrance in the way that you are, and just want men to smell 'nice'. Sad but true IMO. Or am I just being cynical?

Welcome to Basenotes btw. I'd love to visit Canada some day.
    Current favourites: Silver Mountain Water - Terre d'Hermes - Erolfa - Fou d'Absinthe - Sequoia

Wink Re: Envy or M7. . . which do you select?

My first post hehe .I would say A*men.Girls love sweet scents so there is no reason that they wouldnt love it on you

Have never smelt Envy I cannot offer my opnion on it. I have smelled M7 and think is a great frag...but not for the club. It is very dark, heavy, and cloying that would be more suitable for a one on one date rather then the club in my eyes. When I tend to think of scents that one would wear to the club I think I something that is inoffensive, light, and uplifting. Out of what I have smelled I can suggest Escada Magnetism or Bulgari PH. But out of those two, I would go with M7 or even M7 fresh. Welcome to the basenotes community! Stick around and indulge in the world of fragnances.
    Last edited by ToadKings; 3rd October 2007 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Welcomi a new member.

Envy.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I can't really stand Envy personally, but it's maybe more suitable for the club scene than M7, which I love. I think the reviewers who are recommended Amen etc. are giving you the best advice however.

Quote Originally Posted by calexs View Post
    If you want women to like how you smell, I'd wear your L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme or 212 definitely. I don't like either of them particularly, but I think you'll get a better reaction from women than with M7 or Envy.

Welcome to Basenotes btw. I'd love to visit Canada some day.
    thanks for the welcome guys

I agree with you , I just wanted the girls to step out of their mainstream frame. Not that M7 or Envy are stretch for that matter. But I guess you are right and I will have to consider others.

When you come to Canada you must visit beautiful B.C. The weather in Vancouver is similar to London's.

From your collection, I'd go with John Varvatos if the goal is to impress the fairer sex. It has that sweet allure that Angel has (supposedly, blech!), but its not as heavy and it has some fresh elements to keep it from being too cloying. I'm not a fan of sweet scents, but I don't mind JV that much.

In summary, it smells good, it isn't too heavy, and it has a but more distinction than wearing a citrus like Issey or 212. Good luck!

EDIT: but if you really must choose between Envy and M7, Envy is more approachable and not as heavy on me. This will be especially important in a confined club environment. So I'd pick it, despite the problems I have with it.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 4th October 2007 at 04:30 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

envy envy envy

Definitely Envy, and if you like that kind of fragrance, I strongly suggest you try Michael Kors and Opium pour homme.

Oh, and hello from the east coast.
    Last edited by lasta; 4th October 2007 at 03:57 AM.

Envy
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Envy

envy

Go for Envy. If you can get your hands on the body wash, pick that up too. You'll smell like a million, no...a trillion bucks.

Maybe not, but you'll smell really good.

Welcome to basenotes!

Well, I have a different take. Everyone here is suggesting Envy which would leave me personally selecting M7. Why would I want to smell like everyone else?

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Envy of course.. Snaps knicker elastic!!

I also read the other day that Noel Edmunds wears Envy.. I really dont know what to make of that!!

I wanted to reply also, but decided not to, because there's envy all over this thread already. I even got some on my left hand (while having Egoiste on the right - is this Serges starting template? *ducks*)

of those two, Envy.

Of your wardrobe, Varvatos or Baldessarini would also be good choices

i would choose the one you like on that day.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Dependent

you're asking us to pick either red or green and I think if you get yer sheckels lined up just right before bed and grab em all and run down to your local fragrgrance dispensary and slam said sheckels down and say maam/sir could I have a small bottle of each and take em home and at the very last minute.... check your fly... tie straight?..... need to go to the lil boys room?.......

at the last godamn possible minute when it feels like you're gonna cream your pants.

You use one

or

the other

Envy with not a single hesitation! M7 smells like tincture of benzoin to my nose, and I smell enough of this in the clinic. Sadly, however, I think my 3oz. bottle of Envy has gone bad, because in the past 3-4 wearings it has developed an offputting musty character in the first hour.

Envy.
    It epitomises "cool and sexy" - just the ticket for your night on the town!
    Have fun!

I find it rather difficult to choose one over the other...both are unique, dark, brooding and sexy as hell, long-lasting and great sillage. I will say that Envy had me at hello and M7 took some getting used to.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I would pick M7 hands down!

BTW, M7 reminds me a little of CK obsession (yes, I know I'm weird) :S

Here's a review of M7 i found on another site...

http://cornellsun.com/node/24371
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

M7 no doubt about it.

I dislike them both of them...

With M7 you put spell on a girl,
    If you smell Envy, you smell like sex for girl.

I'm leaning towards Envy only slightly, but I may gravitate towards whatever is most appealing just before walking out the door.

I am certainly considering everyone's feedback here.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I dislike them both of them...
    so what do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by wajenius View Post
    so what do you like?
    Hi wajenius,

My nose has now grown weary of the majority of designer frags, especially Envy and anything by YSL.

Now, you asked us to select one. I simply couldn't because I dislike them both in equal measure but for very different reasons (Envy smells cheap and unfinished, M7 smells too medicinal and synthetic for my liking).

At the end of the day, only you can make the right decision - I don't know enough about your personal tastes nor your type of skin chemistry. As for alternatives in your wardrobe, most of them I haven't tried so I can't really help you there.

Just trust your nose and you'll be fine...
    Last edited by Trebor; 5th October 2007 at 11:23 PM.