Code of Conduct

Default looking for smooth, musky and sexy

help me find a frag that fits this description...i love musk if its done properly. Sometimes kiehls on me smell great and sometimes it smells like hairspray...im looking for something that is a darker musk, but not over the top...i have owned kiehls, SMN, LV and mure et musc and ckbe, which i dont get musk at all(ck that is). I am not necessarily stuck on it being primarily musk, but a smooth masculine, musky pleasure scent...something that i can enjoy and others around will too. Help if you can men, you know something my girlfriend or her friends too(ha ha), would want to bury their faces in...help me guys, something really nice!
    Last edited by jdnba; 4th October 2007 at 03:02 AM.

Default Re: looking for smooth, musky and sexy

The Montale musks are really quite nice. White musk is super clear, plain, fuzzy musk.. Ginger musk has some sweetness and berries added in.. a bit powdery. Roses Musk is, well, rose and musk. Fruits of the Musk is very 8th grade feminine to me, so I guess not all of them are to my liking.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    The Montale musks are really quite nice. White musk is super clear, plain, fuzzy musk.. Ginger musk has some sweetness and berries added in.. a bit powdery. Roses Musk is, well, rose and musk. Fruits of the Musk is very 8th grade feminine to me, so I guess not all of them are to my liking.
    is the rose musk similar to LV musk...i know it has musk and florals, and it smells like roses to me...i have had lots of compliments on it from women and i think its a comfort scent for me, you know one that i wear to go to bed and it smells even better the next day.

I'm not very familiar with LV Musk, but Roses Musk is one of my faves (I went to great lengths to get a big bottle from the recent sale). It's definitely one of those that smells amazing hours and hours later. It's a creamy, musky rose that keeps going. It remind me just a bit of Bond West Side, with less of the creamy bits and no ylang ylang... sorta brighter and crisper than WS.
    Actually, Ginger Musk lasts almost 24 hours on me and the last few hours are hard to keep myself from sniffing. Crystal Flowers is another one to look into.
    I don't know if it counts as a musky scent, but I wore Chinatown out tonight and got adamant compliments 5 minutes after meeting up with people. It definitely has an element of musk, but doesn't star it.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Musc Ravageur, obviously. Just look at the name. She will become a "ravageur" due to the "musc" you are wearing. Seriously, it smells fantastic.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 4th October 2007 at 03:20 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Musc Ravageur, obviously. Just look at the name. She will become a "ravageur" due to the "musc" you are wearing. Seriously, it smells fantastic.
    i have heard rave reviews on this one, but am somewhat hesitant because its retractors hate it with a passion and its expensive, is it worth the money: gametime, executive decision...blind buy or no?

Get a sample from Malle first, or Barney's. It is, along (along with Bois de Portugal, JHL, Bois d'Ombrie and Fou d'Absinthe) in my current Top Five, but it is not necessarily for everyone. Also, it's not really appropriate for the office -- it's a definite "moose on the loose" kind of frag.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 4th October 2007 at 03:36 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Oh, definitely get a sample. There is no reason to buy something that polarizing and expensive blind. Also, the topnotes are rather, um, stinky. This passes in about 15 minutes, but I think it puts a lot of people off.

But the heart and base are gorgeous vanilla/cinnamon/musk. I can't think of a prettier smell. I'll also admit that it isn't versatile, but if you want something that just smells incomprehensibly good, this is a good candidate.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

"moose on the loose"...i like it especially cause my sister in law has a tiny poodle named moose. Ha Ha. So i guess that means it has an animal edge to it huh? I dont mind that so much, is it sexy though? Or is it like a frag that I would only want to wear around a girl that i have known for a while?
    --------------------------------------
    thanks for the suggestions everyone
    Last edited by jdnba; 4th October 2007 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    "moose on the loose"...i like it especially cause my sister in law has a tiny poodle named moose. Ha Ha. So i guess that means it has an animal edge to it huh? I dont mind that so much, is it sexy though? Or is it like a frag that I would only want to wear around a girl that i have known for a while?

Honestly (no offense to tvlampboy) I don't see why it has the wild sex animal reputation. Maybe MKK. Maybe Kiehl's. But MR is smooth and pleasant, with just a slight hint of something raunchy hidden beneath all the prettiness. I think of it more as a spicy and somewhat woody vanilla...not a hardcore musk. I'd wear it around anyone, and I'd be very likely to get compliments, based on past experience.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 4th October 2007 at 04:36 AM.

Hmmmm. For me, it's pure carnality bottled -- literally an aphrodisiac.

Weird how different frags have different effects on different folks. I heard Kiehl's Musk described as sexy on more than one occasion; however, all I ever got out of it was a very pleasant, long-lasting, musky suntan oil smell. Go figure.

Hell, my sister-in-law (the cow) thinks that Avon's Black Suede is just the sexiest thing she's ever smelled. (Of course, she also thinks that my brother looks good in the cheap suits she buys him.)

Oh, well -- I only have to see her once a year, and always know to buy her her nasty potion of choice -- Lady Stetson (I kid you not).
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 4th October 2007 at 06:02 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Off-Scenter

Weighing in on Musc Ravageur - it's actually a very beautiful and versatile scent, and much less animalic than Muscs Koublai Khan. Smooth and sexy? Yes. Many of those who dislike it do so because of its sweetness and/or its potency. It is very easy to overapply!

Definitely sample it first, though, since it's too pricey for a blind buy.

Jaïpur Homme, it can be found easily, it's not expensive and it is quite sexy. There must be some musk in it. Kiehl's Original Musk is not a good blind buy - unless you want to be blinded by sweetness.

I agree about Jaïpur Homme, although I question how much musk it may have. VERY well made fragrance.

I'd go for the far less expensive edt version, btw. The edp stuff (which I have on my swap list) is almost pure cinnamon and heliotrope -- VERY powerful stuff, not for the faint of heart. I love, love, love it, but just can't wear it without hearing, "Wow -- the cologne guy!" (There's sillage, and then there's SILLAGE. It's like I'm floating in a cloud of heliotrope all day.)

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Jaïpur Homme, it can be found easily, it's not expensive and it is quite sexy. There must be some musk in it. Kiehl's Original Musk is not a good blind buy - unless you want to be blinded by sweetness.
    i actually love kiehls...i am working thru a big bottle now and then i have a backup waiting, but thanks for the advice...do you think jaipur is too vanilla or is it really something special? Dont get me wrong, i like vanilla, but not sickeningly sweet vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    i actually love kiehls...i am working thru a big bottle now and then i have a backup waiting, but thanks for the advice...do you think jaipur is too vanilla or is it really something special? Dont get me wrong, i like vanilla, but not sickeningly sweet vanilla
    One must like orientals in order to like Jaïpur, that said, it is not "sickeningly sweet", it's deep. You have Body Kouros in your wardrobe, that one is "sweet". Most department stores carry Jaïpur, so it's easy enough to try, and if you like it, you can get it online for a good price.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 4th October 2007 at 06:41 AM.

cool thanks ruggles, i am going to give it a shot...i will be near a dillards(shoot me) tomorrow...i think they have it there? I will let you know what i think! thanks for the responses everyone, any more suggestions couldnt hurt!

Don't know about Dillards, but they have it at every Ulta I've ever seen, if you've got any of those around.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Don't know about Dillards, but they have it at every Ulta I've ever seen, if you've got any of those around.
    no...im from new orleans...we were getting there with cool shit and then katrina set us back...bastard...they are thinking of putting sephora in baton rouge though...go tigers!

Does Musc Ravageur even have musk in it?

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Gaultier2.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Does Musc Ravageur even have musk in it?

TNMA
    I think it's not in the official pyramid, but it's certainly there in the perfume. Maurice Roucel's special secret . It's certainly not dirty in a raunchy MKK way, yet it's incredibly lusty. As if the worn out copulation moan (ooohhh, your .... tastes so sweet) had suddenly become a luscious reality.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    It's certainly not dirty in a raunchy MKK way, yet it's incredibly lusty. As if the worn out copulation moan (ooohhh, your .... tastes so sweet) had suddenly become a luscious reality.
    I totally agree with you that MKK is, "dirty in a raunchy way" , but for me, Musc Ravageur never elicits one of those Jackie Collins' sex scene responses. I get a sophisticated comfort zone fragrance - cinnamon, vanilla, etc. Love it.

Basenotes Institution

Narciso Rodriguez for Him
    Ambre Narguile by Hermes (which I prefer over Musc Ravageur)
    Rose 31 by Le Labo

To name a few...

If you want something a bit sweet...Clair de Musc by Lutens is nice...but maybe a bit on the feminine side. If you saw my other post...Mure & Musc is nice if you want a tangy fruity note. Mugler's cologne is a nice clean musk. I also 2nd Narcisso Rodriguez.

Penhaligon's Racquets Formula
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

...and if you like Jaipur enough to buy it, go to www.scentiments.com and get the 1.7oz for a steal at $22 bucks (close to $65 retail) for the edt and the edp for $33 ($80 bucks retail) when they get it back in stock

tried jaipur today and i was not enthralled...i used to own gaultier2 bu traded it becuase it was a little bublegummish, but thanks for all the wonderful suggestions