Code of Conduct

Smile Best fig for my buck?

i want a fig frag thats warm and mellow and not really green...i know there are probably threads on this already, but i just wanted a quick response from you guys, like a gut reaction .

Default Re: Best fig for my buck?

im interested in this as well, if the responses could state whether its long lasting or not, it would be appreciated.

Salvatore Ferragamo for the dollar value -- hands down. You can pick up a big bottle on eBay for under $20.00.
    Lasts all day; musky drydown with LOTS of fig in the opening hour or two. NOT for the fig foes (like me).

Two of my closest friends wear this, though, and it smells GREAT on both of them -- I just can't stomach that strong fig note myself.
    It doesn't give me headaches (as too much tonka often does); it just makes me slightly nauseated for some odd reason.
    Funny, too, as I love fresh figs and fig cakes and cookies and the like.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 4th October 2007 at 02:57 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Mark Jacobs for men - Reasonably priced, fig based scent. Women love it. I got a bit tired of it over time, but it it's a pretty well made fragrance. It's pretty unusual in this age of fresh and fresher.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Marc Jacobs for Men is a great buy in a fig scent. 3-4 sprays lasts about 8 hours or more on me.

For a few dollars more, Jo Malone Wild Fig & Cassis is an excellent fig scent with moderate longevity, about 6-8 hours. More earth, less green.

Yeah, it's nice and figgy, but be forewarned that you'd better like coconut (and lots of it) to enjoy Marc Jacobs.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Yeah, it's nice and figgy, but be forewarned that you'd better like coconut (and lots of it) to enjoy Marc Jacobs.
    you beat me to the punch tv, i have tried marc jacobs and i have to say, the only thing i tolerate coconut in is thai soups and cocktails on beach vacations, otherwise, i dont like it in my cake or in my cologne...thanks for the advice, but tv is right for some...beware the coconut...i didnt even know it was fig!

Thrax

L'Artisan Premier Figuer Extreme. No doubt about it.

OR

Dune by Dior

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Marc Jacobs for Men is a great buy in a fig scent. 3-4 sprays lasts about 8 hours or more on me.

For a few dollars more, Jo Malone Wild Fig & Cassis is an excellent fig scent with moderate longevity, about 6-8 hours. More earth, less green.
    I agree on the Marc Jacobs for Men. While the fig is very prominent, it also has a strong coconut note which I find to be an ideal balance for the fig.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

I would recommend Hermes Jardin du Mediterranea. I think it has incense which keeps the green in check.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I'm in the Marc Jacobs camp.

Bring us some figgy pudding!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

As some highlighted in many fig fragrances the fig note is often enhanced using coconut. Personally I better like fig scents to be green and without coconut at all (like the wonderful philosykos) but if you want a sweet and mellow fig, not green I see you must accept a bit of coconut eventually.

Green Figs:
    Dyptique Philosykos
    Hermès Un jardin en mediterranée
    Paul Smith for men
    Davidoff Good life

Sweet Figs
    L'Artisan all the premier figuiers (both Giacobetti's coconut milk ultra loaded concoctions)
    Mark Jacobs (faint coconut)

Never tried the Jo Malone but from the advices here I bet I have to give it a try soon

This is not a fig frag proper, but I quite enjoy Bvlgari`s Thé rouge, which is warm and spicy in a modern way and, on me, does show the fig quite prominently (I know it's not there on others). I got my 25mls for 8 Euros and I'm not complaining
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

i'll second Magnifiscent on the Dyptique Philosykos and Hermès Un Jardin en Mediterranée. Two of the nicest fig scents I have ever smelled - enough to buy them, in fact!

the Diptyque is more of a "fresh fig tree/figs growing" greeny fig frag (try saying that a few times quickly). this one is ALL ABOUT THE FIG!

the Hermès is more of a rich, ripe fig that figures into a fresh opeining to an overall sweet, dry base. this one is less focus on the fig, but it still plays a prominent role

Dune for Men.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Beware Philosykos if you're looking to avoid something that's not too green. To me it's about as green as it's possible to be. I smell chopped up wet banana tree leaves.

Dune is much drier fragrance...I suppose there's supposed to be fig in it, but I can't recognize it specifically. The green is toned down, but it can get to smell a bit plain. Very versatile; it would be good for the office.

My favorite suggestion so far is Hermes Hermès Un Jardin en Mediterranée. Again, I can't pick the fig out of it, but it sure does smell nice. Very effervescent and refreshing. I want to get it soon.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 4th October 2007 at 05:27 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rentboy View Post
    i'll second Magnifiscent on the Dyptique Philosykos and Hermès Un Jardin en Mediterranée. Two of the nicest fig scents I have ever smelled - enough to buy them, in fact!

the Diptyque is more of a "fresh fig tree/figs growing" greeny fig frag (try saying that a few times quickly). this one is ALL ABOUT THE FIG!

the Hermès is more of a rich, ripe fig that figures into a fresh opeining to an overall sweet, dry base. this one is less focus on the fig, but it still plays a prominent role
    What Rentboy said.

I second the Ferragamo vote--great stuff if you want fig

Quote Originally Posted by rentboy View Post
    i'll second Magnifiscent on the Dyptique Philosykos..

..the Diptyque is more of a "fresh fig tree/figs growing" greeny fig frag (try saying that a few times quickly). this one is ALL ABOUT THE FIG!
    I agree completely!
    On me, Philosykos is "greeny" for about the first 35 minutes or so....(but I think it is the most remarkably realistic green I've ever experienced in a fragrance) after that, its all fig. Try it!

Another vote for Marc Jacobs - it's outstanding - you will get compliments.

I second Jo Malone's Wild Fig & Cassis. I love it and it is made into a whole line of products too. Good stuff.

Totally forgot about Miller Harris Figue Amère, almost a single fig note scent but in all its facets. not too sweet nor too green, just pleasant.

diptyque Philosykos

Last edited by pluran; 5th October 2007 at 11:46 AM.

I guess I misunderstood the question, as I heard "for my buck." Y'all recommending L'Artisans and Diptyques is great in any other thread, but why spend more than Salvatore Ferragamo's reasonable price tag if budget IS an issue?

Now, if by "for my buck" he DIDN'T mean that budget was an issue, then that's another matter altogether and I apologize.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Smell the fig and red currant in CO Bigelow Barber Red. $19 not bad at all.