Code of Conduct

Thread: diptyque oyedo

Default diptyque oyedo

What do you guys think? I like lime and lemon and orange frags, is this a good buy?

Default Re: diptyque oyedo

Yes, but a little odd if you want more citrus and less outside interference. (The thyme really comes through very, very strong in the Oyédo, IMHO.)

Have you considered Gantier's Fraîche Badiane (light lemon and anise)? An excellent choice for lemon lovers, as is the DELIGHTFUL (and vastly, almost embarrassingly underrated!) Signoricci by Nina Ricci.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 4th October 2007 at 05:14 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I like Oyedo but it is a bad blind buy. The citrus is strong (a good thing) but smells candied, like lemon drop candies. Great if you like that, but a sensible person smells this one before picking it over the wallet's contents.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Again (I can't stress this strongly enough) give Signoricci a try.
    I guess it's really called Signoricci 3, as it's the third frag to go by that name.
    It's bottled in an octagonal sort of bottle that is identical to Ricci Club's.

Along with Eau Sauvage by Dior and NR by Creed, it's truly one of the best citrus frags ever on the market (IMHO). Again, Badiane is also superb, but the distinct anise note puts some folks off it a bit, if not more.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I agree with DustB that Oyedo smells like candy. (Specifically, I get "tangerine lifesavers" from it.)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Again (I can't stress this strongly enough) give Signoricci a try.
    I guess it's really called Signoricci 3, as it's the third frag to go by that name.
    It's bottled in an octagonal sort of bottle that is identical to Ricci Club's.

Along with Eau Sauvage by Dior and NR by Creed, it's truly one of the best citrus frags ever on the market (IMHO). Again, Badiane is also superb, but the distinct anise note puts some folks off it a bit, if not more.
    so its the one that basenotes refers to as signoricci 2(because the original was discontinued, 2 is actually 3?)

Yes -- let me explain. The first was introduced in 1965; however, this is confusing to many retailers, who only use 1965 the Ricci info and go no further.Ricci introduced another in the Seventies, then this one, then discontinued the last of the three but kept this one in production. (I THINK I have my chronology right here.) In short, this is what was once Signoricci 2.

There are two bottles, actually. One is reeded and reminds me of old Germaine Monteil bottles; these have gold-colored caps. The larger bottles are indentical to Ricci Club's and feature big plastic lids (sort of octagonal, I think). I have the latter of the two. Both boxes, I believe, have lion heads on their fronts.

It's the only one you can just order w/o going through discontinued fragrance houses or specialized dealers on eBay. A 3.3 oz. usually runs about $35 to $60. I think Amazon had it cheapest of the retailers when I looked. I'd try eBay first, then Amazon.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 4th October 2007 at 02:05 PM.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Personally, I think Oyedo is an excellent citrus fragrance. Whether or not it comes across as too candy-ish will depend on your personal tastes and skin chemistry. Since I'm English, all this talk about lifesavers goes over my head but it may not for you.

Most citrus scents either turn on my skin or lack decent longevity - Oyedo's the only one (so far) that's worked really well for me. It's a haven for those who've been disappointed by all the 'great' citrus scents currently on the market.

I love the stuff, period!

I have a small tester of that and find it very sour.
    Nothing interesting in fact.

If a smell could be a taste It will be orange "sugus".
    An old spanish sweet.
    With a touch of herb though.
    Irresistible.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Actually, this is the only frag in my wardrobe I haven't worn as much as I would have liked. The English summer was a BIG disappointment and my summer frags spent most of the time on stand-by. Oyedo never got a look-in, unfortunately, but I'm determined to wear it at least once before the end of this month!

Yes, Oyedo is a bright, zesty fun fragrance and should not be worn in more 'formal' situations.

I'd rather wear this than Acqua di Parma, etc. any day...

Oyedo smells like orange gummy bears. I am not joking.

I like it though!
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    What do you guys think? I like lime and lemon and orange frags, is this a good buy?
    Warning, Danger, not a good blind buy! Sweet lime and herbs de provence. Similar to a dryer sheet.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th December 2008 at 06:06 PM.

Someone said they think Oyedo is sour... wow, I never imagined it would get that description. Thick sweetness. And since sweet and sour are opposites, I dont agree with the sour description at all. Really is candy-ish.
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

I like Oyedo a lot. But it is not the traditional "fresh" citrus scent say like Eau d'Hadrien or some of the classic Eau de Colognes are - as others have said, its candied citrus (specifically the Japanese citrus fruit Yuzu) over lots of herbs. It is great to wear on those really hot days of summer.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Basenotes Institution

Wore this today, for the first time (previously, I'd only smelled it on my wrist, when I encountered it in Europe on vacation).

The tangerine/orange Life Savers comparison is amazing - that's exactly what it smells like for quite some time. Not like a tangerine or an orange (like Arancia by Acqua di Parma), rather something that is flavored like tangerine/orange. The underpinning sweetness is tart and acidic. Incredibly fun!!

I'm not sure I would use up a whole bottle of this, but I seriously need to look into getting a decant of it.