Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rose Week: A Weekend Fling with Ava and Rosine

Stop and Smell the Roses Week concludes with two from Les Parfums de Rosine and one from Ava Luxe.

Special thanks to purplebird7 for her recomendations from the Rosine line.

Very special thanks to scentemental for his support and for providing samples for testing purposes during this week. I am forever grateful.

Les Parfums de Rosine, Rose d'Homme

Rose d’Homme is not an overtly masculine fragrance (Gucci PH, Aramis, etc.) but more of an exercise in smooth, subltle, refinement. It seems the objective of Rose d”Homme is to calm and relax rather than excite, empower, and/or arouse. A mild, citrus opening of lemon and bergamot provides an introduction to vetiver, lavender, rose, vetiver, patchouli and leather. The immediate drydown has a light, powdery, sweetness akin to confectioners sugar, perhaps due to an accord of vanilla, tangerine, jasmine and herbs. According Les Parfums de Rosine, Rose d'Homme does not follow the typical top/heart/base construction. Movement between phases is barely discernible and feels like drifting or floating. The only improvement I can suggest is to add more of the house rose note. In conclusion, Rose d’Homme is an overall pleasing fragrance that I find very wearable for all occasions and seasons.

Notes:
    Vetyver/lavender base with Rosine Rose (proprietary house rose note), citrus, bergamot, patchouli, vanilla, herbal notes, jasmine, tangerine and leather.

Sprays:6
    Longevity:8-10 hours
    Sillage: Moderate
    RIYL:clean-smelling, subtle, unobtrusive fragrances.

Les Parfums de Rosine, Une Folie de Rose

Une Folie de Rose is a floral chypre with a rose heart. Class and elegance in a bottle, but not so much that I can still spritz some for casual wear. Although marketed primarily at women, I find Une Folie de Rose decidedly unisex. The balance of spice, rose and earthy base should hold appeal to both sexes. Coriander is an excellent top note because I love how it provides a spicy complement to the roses in the heart. Tea rose in the heart comes on strong but never overpowers the other notes and lasts long into the drydown. The earthy, woody base notes act more as pedestal that supports the long-lasting rose notes. The only Rosine of which I own a full bottle. Highly recommended

Notes:
    Top: bergamot, coriander.
    Heart: ylang-ylang, jasmine, tea rose, Bulgarian and Turkish rose absolue, iris.
    Base: sandalwood, oakmoss, patchouli, vetiver, benzoin.

Sprays: 6
    Longevity: 10-12 hours
    Sillage: Moderate to High
    RIYL: Voleur de Roses, Chanel No. 19, tea roses, classic chypres.

Ava Luxe, Incense Rose

As an aficionado of rose and incense notes, Incense Rose was a must test. The name alone is enough to spark Pavlovian arousal in me. My first impression was roses in a musty basement. I liked it but found it more odd and enigmatic than wearable. The only change I detected was a subtle fade of the musty odor in the top to a very earthy rose with a hint of olibanum. I need to explore Incense Rose before I can develop a full appreciation of it. I feel this fragrance could be very polarizing and it requires patience and an open mind. Fortunately, I have both.

Notes:
    Geranium, Damask rose, olibanum, rose maroc, iris, ambrette musk, Australian sandalwood, vetiver, black amber, aloeswood (oude).

Sprays: 6
    Longevity: 10-12 hours
    Sillage: Moderate to High
    RIYL: musty basement smells mixed with roses, enigmatic fragrances.

So which is the best rose fragrance? I have no idea. I have yet to smell them all. I do know that there are several rose fragrances I consider worth owning and that I can find something to appreciate in all those I have tested.

To be continued...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rose Week: A Weekend Fling with Ava and Rosine

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    To be continued...
    That's good news, I've enjoyed all your rosy reviews this week!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Rose d’Homme is not an overtly masculine fragrance (Gucci PH, Aramis, etc.) but more of an exercise in smooth, subltle, refinement. It seems the objective of Rose d”Homme is to calm and relax rather than excite, empower, and/or arouse. A mild, citrus opening of lemon and bergamot provides an introduction to vetiver, lavender, rose, vetiver, patchouli and leather. The immediate drydown has a light, powdery, sweetness akin to confectioners sugar, perhaps due to an accord of vanilla, tangerine, jasmine and herbs.
    Great reviews Michael - as always. The 'confectioners sugar' note you described above - I get the same effect from No. 88 by C&S. Would you compare the two scents?

Incense Rose sounds very disappointing...I'm glad I didn't order a sample from Ava Luxe for AL Week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Great reviews Michael - as always. The 'confectioners sugar' note you described above - I get the same effect from No. 88 by C&S. Would you compare the two scents?

Incense Rose sounds very disappointing...I'm glad I didn't order a sample from Ava Luxe for AL Week.
    The recurring confectioners sugar accord that I occasionally detect in No. 88 reminds me of high-quality, grape-flavored, hard candy. The drydown of Rose d'Homme is similar but without the hint of grape. I would compare the accords as being similar but not the overall scents. Rose d'Homme is a well-made, elegant composition but lacks the substance of No. 88.

Mike, I doubt Incense Rose would suit your taste but I am certain it has, or will find, some admirers.