Code of Conduct

Default Rance - Josephine - and other niche frags

Sorry, can't do the accents on the thread title. Today, my husband called into a shop in Lytham called Fascination. He was on a quest to get me a bottle of Annick Goutal Songes in the EDP. Unfortunately, he's been sold the EDT, which he's extremely cross about, because he specified that he wanted EDP. But that's beside the point.

He was given a number of samples and some sprayed cards. One of them was Josephine - and I have to say it's gorgeous. Reminiscent of Kenzo Flower, but richer, more complex. I'd love to hear what anyone else thinks of this if they've tried it. It was supposedly created for Napoleon's Josphine 200 years ago, and it's surprisingly acceptable to today's market despite this. i would normally avoid these perfumes, considering them 'gimmicks', but the reality is, it's a gorgeous floral, gentle and sophisticated at the same time, and I'd definitely wear it.

Hubby was also given a sample of Caron Bellodgia, which I've wanted to try for ages, Creed Fleurissimo (I know and like this one), Serge Lutens Louve and Fleurs de Citronnier, and spray cards of other fragrances I have never heard of:

Baunilha - Freezia Por - very heady. Possibly a little too 'old lady' for my taste
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Rose Muskisimme. Sadly, this had mostly faded from the card, but what I could pick up from it caught me as tantalising
    The Different Company - Jasmin de Nuit. Pretty, but too faded on the card for me to really assess it.

For Men:
    Genes - Aqua de Genova - rather too like 4711 for my taste (not that there's anything wrong with 4711, it's lovely in its place/time, but not complex enough for a man's cologne in my very humble)
    Genes - 1853 - gorgeous! Reminds me of the original Lacoste, but without the weird after-smell that it gets on my husband's skin. Really warm, rich, sexy fragrance. I'll be badgering him to buy some of this.

All in all - apart from the unfortunate 'error' in providing me with Songes in EDT (and gift wrapping it so he didn't have chance to check it before driving 300 miles home to give it to me!), this Fascination shop appeals to me. Next time I'm up in that area, I'll definitely be paying them a visit. I suspect my husband will be doing that sooner than me though - to return the ruddy Songes EDT. GRR! I've wanted that in EDP for flipping ages!

Sorry for the ramble. I'd love to hear any opinions from those of you who have encountered these fragrances.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Default Re: Rance - Josephine - and other niche frags

Try Josephine on your skin before you commit to buying. I was going to get a bottle on the strength of a test strip, but it went extremely (and unpleasantly - people were actually moving to get away from me on the train, which was really embarrassing) overripe-fruity and loud on me on the skin after about ten minutes.

Jasmin de Nuit's interesting, but it's my least favourite of the TDC offerings. I get gingerbread from it, which i don't like much (I remember other people here having a problem with the same note).

I think there are a couple of threads on the board about the Rance perfumes, including Napoleon, but I can't get the search to work! Hope you loved Bellodgia (I've got a full bottle in the cellophane up for swap at the moment if you're interested) - and rotten luck about the Songes!

I've heard it's a pretty repellant musk - the female Sex Panther, maybe? I'll have to sniff it one day. Where did you try it, Squeeze?

I've seen Josephine and Napoleon at Harrods (ground floor perfumery), Harvey Nicks (upstairs in the niche perfumery section) and in the posh loos on the 4th floor at Harrods for post-handwashing spritzing! All the toilets in Harrods have a selection of fragrances to try - the ones on the 4th floor are near the children's department, so they had lots of the kid-marketed fragrances - Tartine et Chocolat, Petit Guerlain, that sort of thing - alongside adult perfumes for people visiting other departments.

I do not know what Napoleon was doing in the ladies' loo - it's not a women's perfume by any stretch of the imagination. I was talking to a friend about it as we washed our hands, mentioning the crazy civet/musk unwearableness of it, and a lady in there overheard, squirted some on a paper towel, pulled a face and went to wash her hands again!

Well I need to pay a visit to Harrods to replace my Mitsouko (nowhere else seems to have the parfum, which is annoying, but hey, I have my Harrods loyalty card now). I'll make sure I check out the loos. Won't be for a few weeks yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezeweasel View Post
    Try Josephine on your skin before you commit to buying. I was going to get a bottle on the strength of a test strip, but it went extremely (and unpleasantly - people were actually moving to get away from me on the train, which was really embarrassing) overripe-fruity and loud on me on the skin after about ten minutes.

Jasmin de Nuit's interesting, but it's my least favourite of the TDC offerings. I get gingerbread from it, which i don't like much (I remember other people here having a problem with the same note).

I think there are a couple of threads on the board about the Rance perfumes, including Napoleon, but I can't get the search to work! Hope you loved Bellodgia (I've got a full bottle in the cellophane up for swap at the moment if you're interested) - and rotten luck about the Songes!
    Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely try them on my own skin before committing to buying any of them. I haven't tried Bellodgia on my skin yet, so I'll let you know about that one if it works. I cracked open Songes today and wore the EDT and it has lasted all day, so I'm not going to worry too much about the EDP. My hubby said he'd get me that anyway next time he's in that area, so I could end up with more of it than I can ever wear! I have to say, I absolutely LOVED it today. I felt so sophisticated wearing it - and it's not often a fragrance actually makes me feel like a different person. Songes is such an amazing fragrance, the way the notes reveal a little more throughout the day...I love that.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    Well I need to pay a visit to Harrods to replace my Mitsouko (nowhere else seems to have the parfum, which is annoying, but hey, I have my Harrods loyalty card now). I'll make sure I check out the loos. Won't be for a few weeks yet though.
    I was in Fenwicks in Tunbridge Wells today, and they had heaps of Mitsouko in there - AND DK Black Cashmere, which really annoyed me because I've been looking everywhere for that and in the end I ordered it online. Good job I love it, because that was a blind buy. Love the Harrods haute perfumerie. I think I need to visit there again soon...
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    I've heard it's a pretty repellant musk - the female Sex Panther, maybe? I'll have to sniff it one day. Where did you try it, Squeeze?
    Which one? Josephine? Not repellant or musk. Floral. Very pretty.
    Last edited by Clemmie; 5th October 2007 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby