Code of Conduct

Question I'm looking for a woody/spice mature fragrance for frequent wear.. any ideas?

As above really, I am looking to get away from the summer/fresh fragrances but still be able to wear it most days without it being too heavy or suited to evenings out. Any ideas much appreciated.

R2S

Default Re: I'm looking for a woody/spice mature fragrance for frequent wear.. any ideas?

A few ideas:
    JHL
    Bois d'Ombrie
    Witness
    Bois de Portugal
    Yatagan
    Worth pour Homme
    Rochas Lui
    H.O.T. Always
    Bel Ami
    Carven Homme
    Aramis (APPLY SPARINGLY)
    Rocabar
    ZIno Davidoff
    Relax by Davidoff
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 5th October 2007 at 12:12 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: I'm looking for a woody/spice mature fragrance for frequent wear.. any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    A few ideas:
    JHL
    Bois d'Ombrie
    Witness
    Bois de Portugal
    Yatagan
    Worth pour Homme
    Rochas Lui
    H.O.T. Always
    Bel Ami
    Carven Homme
    Aramis (APPLY SPARINGLY)
    Rocabar
    ZIno Davidoff
    Relax by Davidoff
    Damn you tvlampboy!! lol. Thats gunna cost me a fair bit in decants (have not tried the majority of those) if you HAD TOO which would make your short list of 3?

These three:
    JHL by Lauder/Aramis
    Bois d'Ombrie by Eau d'Italie
    Bois de Portugal by Creed (OR its kissing cousin, New York by PdN)

Make these two a priority for any "bargain buying":
    Witness by Jacques Bogart
    Carven Homme by Carven
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 5th October 2007 at 12:31 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Cool, Thanx for that mate! Looking forward to trying them.

Last edited by r2s; 5th October 2007 at 12:40 PM.

Im with the lampboydugeguyman all the way. His recomendations are spot on (except for Yatagan wich is a little too out there for me). Im 29 years old and since the first time I smelled Bel Ami Ive said that one day when Im mature enougt to pull it off thats gonna be my signature scent! Bois du Portugal may not be a discreet office scent because of the powerhouse sillage! But for evenings its potent and woody/spicy mature and then some!
    I really like Rochas Lui as well and you can get it fairly cheap online.

But what are you looking for besides woody/spicy. Fresh, fruity, marine, smooth, gourmand, sweet, dry, incense, discreet, green, floral, animalic, earthy...??

BTW if were talking woody spicy I wouldnt leave out Gucci pour homme althougt its far from niche. Other people wont be able to smell if the bottle was expensive and hard to come by anyway! But its always more fun not to smell like 9 out of 10 other fellas.

/ Tobbe

Tonino Lamborghini EDP

1) Terre d´Hermes ( my signature frag )
    2) Gucci Pour Homme
    3) Guerlain Heritage ( & Vetiver but its not spicy )

& Old Spice :--)
    Last edited by sanatik; 5th October 2007 at 02:10 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Quote Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
    Im with the lampboydugeguyman all the way. His recomendations are spot on (except for Yatagan wich is a little too out there for me). Im 29 years old and since the first time I smelled Bel Ami Ive said that one day when Im mature enougt to pull it off thats gonna be my signature scent! Bois du Portugal may not be a discreet office scent because of the powerhouse sillage! But for evenings its potent and woody/spicy mature and then some!

But what are you looking for besides woody/spicy. Fresh, fruity, marine, smooth, gourmand, sweet, dry, incense, discreet, green, floral, animalic, earthy...??

BTW if were talking woody spicy I wouldnt leave out Gucci pour homme althougt its far from niche. Other people wont be able to smell if the bottle was expensive and hard to come by anyway! But its always more fun not to smell like 9 out of 10 other fellas.

/ Tobbe
    Thanxs for the reply Tobbe.

Yeah I am certainly looking for a more niche fragrance. I will have to give Bel Ami a try too as you hold it in such high regard.

I am not so sure exactly which notes I am looking for although I know I want it to be Woody/spice. I dont own many of these types and want to explore them. Tough where I live as my fine fragrance stores are pretty limited.

I'd suggest some Guerlains of course :-)
    Hritage and Coriolan. Especially the latter is very wearable for everyday use but still very special and delicious.

/ Tobbe

Um... if 9 out of 10 fellas were wearing Gucci pour Homme the world would be a better place! I would not worry AT ALL that GpH is too popular.

I think you cannot go wrong with GpH given your description. Shoot - it can be had cheap enough online that you can just buy a bottle of it to wear while you take your time and really shop for something special.

I'd also recommend Trumper's Sandalwood Cologne, although it is a different animal than Gucci pH. Its a fall/winter favorite of mine and it should be easy for you to find (English company - I had to order mine from England). Its woody and spicy, but also a touch sweet. Chanel's Egoiste is a variation on the same theme, so check out both if you can find them.

I will second the Aramis applied sparingly. Intense, but a wonderful classic fragrance.

(I also love Chaps by Ralph Lauren, but it has a bit of a bad reputation on here....dries to a woody, powdery, leathery scent on me that I adore).
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Basenotes Institution

Hard to recommend just three, but here's mine:

Terre d'Hermes by Hermes
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man by CdG
    Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi

I'm wearing Spezie today and it's cinnamon note is amazingly meditative and mature...great stuff.

woods/spice/mature

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned these two widely available frags

Le 3e Homme de Caron (The Third Man)
    Hermes Equipage

I would also recommend these more difficult to obtain frags (which can be a good thing, depending on your viewpoint)

Monsieur Carven
    Balenciaga Ho Hang

Diptyque's Eau Lente is an outstanding spice frag, and one of the rare scents to have a vanilla base that is very dry (and for someone who doesn't like sweetened vanilla, very compelling). To my nose it's very much sui generis, and I'm grateful to Pluran for the recommendation.

And once you get past Bois des Iles' aldehydic floral opening, it's hard to imagine a more beautiful combination than its gingerbread and sandalwood drydown.
    "Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with!"
    - Vladimir Nabokov,
    Lolita

Off-Scenter

Yes again to Eau Lente. Also:

Basala
    Santal Noble
    Pomegranate Noir
    Tam Dao
    No. 88
    Opone

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    A few ideas:
    JHL
    Bois d'Ombrie
    Witness
    Bois de Portugal
    Yatagan
    Worth pour Homme
    Rochas Lui
    H.O.T. Always
    Bel Ami
    Carven Homme
    Aramis (APPLY SPARINGLY)
    Rocabar
    ZIno Davidoff
    Relax by Davidoff
    Good list, there's a couple on there that I'm still looking to try.

Im 29 years old and since the first time I smelled Bel Ami Ive said that one day when Im mature enougt to pull it off thats gonna be my signature scent!
    I love Bel Ami and I wear it frequently and I'm only 21. I don't think age has much to do with being able to pull off a fragrance. I've never tried a fragrance that I thought was too "old/mature smelling" for me.

Gucci Pour Homme

Some great suggestions above. Another possibility might be L'homme Essentiel by Roger & Gallet which is classified as woody-spicy, but is quite a bit lighter and smoother than most. It's a great daily standby and pretty reasonable if you can find it.
    I especially love Basala and Yatagan, but they definitely make a real statement when you wear them.

Just purchased Dunhill Edition, and i'm really digging its great woody/spice aroma!

Highly recommended!
    Last edited by knightowl; 6th October 2007 at 06:19 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Just purchased Dunhill Edition, and i'm really digging its great woody/spice aroma!

Highly recommended!
    I definitely second knightowl! I was going through the posts on this thread, waiting to see if Edition would pop up. I've been deciding whether Edition qualifies re: the wood aspect, and it does. It definitely has the spice, and of the spices, the cinnamon seems most noticeable, but not overly so. The Basenotes pyramid says it also has cedarwood and sandalwood; another pyramid says cedar and fir. I don't really make out an individual wood note, but there is a wood note there...you can sense or smell its strength in the background, if that makes sense. I think the wood also helps to make the scent "dark"...it isn't just the spice that does that. And there's a hint of sage too. Classy yet very wearable!

By the way, I've been a big fan of Carven Homme since I first tried it a few years ago. I suppose I might classify this one as spicy/woody/amber, with a creaminess as part of the drydown (apparently notes of both vanilla and tonka). I like to think of Carven Homme as Son of Bois du Portugal, though CH is a little sweeter (the vanilla).
    Last edited by Spicemeister; 6th October 2007 at 07:55 AM.

What's a daytime or office appropriate woody/spice fragrance for transition to fall and cooler weather? These are some I really like that fit this category.

EQUIPAGE - warm spicy carnation and leather. hermes is always right.
    SEQOUIA - CdG warm spice with haunting woods and incense.
    VETIVER 46 - Le Labo great spicey earth scent that is not too dark or earthy.
    MICHAEL - the michael kors scent for men - almost the perfect spicey/tobacco scent.
    GUCCI POUR HOMME - a classic of incense spice wood fragrance.
    AMBRE NARGUILLE - Hermes gourmand amber with tobacco and spices.

all good ones!

Guerlain Heritage sprung immediately to mind.
    "Dont try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

For me there's nothing better than

Baldessarini Eau de Cologne Concentrée

it's my no. 1 scent. I reach for it 50% of the time. It can be worn as day wear, office wear and also for evenings out. Plus, I have never got more compliments from the ladies. It's a true gem.

The dry-down is ever so nice and distinguished. Have tried sooo many others, including niches. There must be a reason why I always come back to this one.
    Last edited by ClassyGuy; 6th October 2007 at 05:23 PM.

Some great suggestions, this thread is really insightful I'm picking up lots of ideas!

Good to hear a few people supporting Terre D'Hermes as I already have that weapon in my arsenal!

Hey Fat Tony good idea I think I might have to go with Gucci Pour Homme as a temp measure while I get testing these "new to me" frags.

By the way I was shopping in town today and made a stop at the Chanel counter as I have been meaning to try Egoiste (I have the Platinum but never tried it's brother) and the assistant told me they do not stock it as it did not take on very well and is less popular that the Platinum! Last time I look in Debenhams!! Shame I dont have a really good Fragrance store in my City.

If you blend Dunhill Edition with Gucci Rush you end up with 1903 by J Peterman. Not often discussed here but an outstanding scent that, I think, meets your criteria...

(Samples wouldn't be too easy to obtain, put a pretty safe blind buy)

Good luck & best regards,
    Mike

Cheers Mikey I will have to try that... maybe I could hunt down a decant for a test.

Speaking of blind buys I just had a sudden rush of blood to the head and ordered Creed's Bois Du Portugal as a blind buy! Cant wait for it to arrive!

Well the way I see it I cant try it in my city as nowhere stocks Creed but I am almost certain I will love it going by the notes.

I do not think that will end my spice/wood crusade as I now have many more to try from this thread!

Cheers gents.