Code of Conduct

Default What embarrassing frags are you hiding from your BN wardrobe?

This is similar to a topic I post on forums of other types -- "Guilty Pleasures" or "Who are you embarrassed to admit is hot?" For example, one woman finally admitted to finding Joe Pesci attractive, though had never told a soul. Quelle horror! When the topic is music, one admitted to grooving to the Macarena in secret. And I really enjoyed Weekend at Bernie's -- there, I said it.

So what frags do you own or enjoy that you find difficult to admit to your fellow perfumistas on BN? C'mon, we won't laugh. Well, maybe just a little giggle when you aren't looking.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Default Re: What embarrassing frags are you hiding from your BN wardrobe?

None. If I dare to own it, I'll dare to admit it in public and put in in my wardrobe for the world to see.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaKulpa View Post
    And I really enjoyed Weekend at Bernie's.
    You're not alone.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th October 2007 at 09:37 AM.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I have a few scents that relatives have sent me for birthday/Xmas that I
    can't wear, but am loathed to discard. My aunt gave me Red Door recently
    and a sister bought me White Diamonds! When I think what I could have bought instead it makes me weep......

Everything I own is on show.

I do admit to enjoying Showgirls so much I wore out my VHS tape and had to buy the DVD, though. *blush*

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    None. If I dare to own it, I'll dare to admit it in public and put in in my wardrobe for the world to see.
    :: clicking on Tigrushka's wardrobe, hoping to find a Britney Spears or Danielle Steele frag ::

a sister bought me White Diamonds!
    wow, the grandmother of all celebu-scents! I didn't know they still made that.

C'mon you guys, there must be something worse in there...any Cindy Adams juice or Old Spice hiding behind the wardrobe doors?
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    I do admit to enjoying Showgirls so much I wore out my VHS tape and had to buy the DVD, though. *blush*

yay! So did I! Nothing like Saved by the Bell naughtiness.
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 5th October 2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post

OK, game over: we have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post

OK, game over: we have a winner!
    indeed. No bottle of Paris Hilton juice (ugh, that sounded really nasty) can compare with showgirls!

Hey weren't there Dynasty frags back in the day? Is my memory foggy or do I remember Alexis or Krystal or something like that?

indeed. No bottle of Paris Hilton juice (ugh, that sounded really nasty) can compare with showgirls!
    phew although i don't hide the fragrances, i'm quite embarrassed by what i used to like before joining this board - paris hilton (used about half a bottle until i found out it contained pheromones and was a bit put off) there's fantasy by britney... which i really wish i could hate but i can't (must be my sweet tooth) and curious in control which i bought on impulse, true love by elizabeth arden was nice at the time, another impulse buy... kinda boring now... hmmm i'm really starting to get embarrassed

I'm embarrased i used to be a Britney fan. If I listen to her music now, even from the good times, I realize it's trash mostly.

I had a few! My 4 year old is a little Perfumista & has claimed my Parfums De Coeur Cotton Candy & Pajama Party Spray, Demeter's Play Doh and Calgon's Marshmallow Body Spray as her own .
    If I feel they need for something gooey sweet I can just go to her rooom & steal a spritz without the embarrassment of ownership.

I don't think that make-up and scent are comparable on a little girl. I wouldn't allow an (imaginary) four-year-old daughter of mine make-up, which I agree can sexualise children in a very uncomfortable way, but I'd have no problem at all with perfume. I loved fragrance when I was that age too, and my parents were kind enough to indulge me - I had a little bottle of Woods of Windsor Rose, another of their Lily of the Valley and a mini of Chloe. I loved scent and used to make my own pot pourri, and my Mum taught me how to make rose water. For me, it was about loving smelling things I thought were beautiful, not about beautifying myself - for our family it was a lot like enjoying a beautiful picture or eating something delicious together - something that pleased the senses and brought us all pleasure, as well as fostering a life-long interest in me. Hope that makes sense, and I hope your daughter continues to work her way through the Demeters!

I think you are both right. Children are way too sexualized way too early these days, and most makeup and certain fragrances are completely inappropriate for them until middle school, at least. Imagine a heavy musk on a little kid!

But then, there are many lighter, "girly" scents that are fairly neutral -- lavender toilet water or a rose, or even something like Amazing Graze which is so light it nearly disappears -- or the gourmand scents like chocolate, vanilla, or even Pink Sugar, which struck me as almost insisting it be worn by a little girl. Where a frag is worn is also important -- fine for home or playtime, less appropriate for school until later.

OK, so how how about this embarrassed confession: earlier I went on a frenzied free sample ordering spree, including - gulp -- JLo's, Shania Twain's, Stetson, Celine Dion's and other cringe-inducing scents. Damn you Coty and your whorish free sample giveaways! (Hey they were free!)
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 5th October 2007 at 12:41 PM.

Back to fragrance talk:
    I just remembered I have Mojo by Gendarme! It has Austin Powers on the box The fragrance is very good but the box and bottle are just awful.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th October 2007 at 02:51 PM. Reason: off topic

I haven't listed my wardrobe yet, but included in there :

J. Lo glow
    Britney Spears Fantasy
    Paris Hilton Original
    (smells like Ralph but lasts 2x as long at 1/2 the price)
    Skin Musk Oil & Body Spray
    Body Fantasies Sexiest Musk Fantasy

Also lots of oils from street vendors.
    I don't feel embarassed because I usually smell good even if I don't smell "expensive."
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th October 2007 at 02:52 PM. Reason: off topic

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Eternity. There, I said it.

I had been thinking along these very bashful lines when I recently tested and then acquired a bottle of the stuff. I can't seem to wear it, but I love Eternity sprayed on wood and on my toilet paper .

I'll get back to you on the Barry Manilow cologne I'm expecting in the mail.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Ding Ding Ding! I think we have a winner!

(is there a free sample available?)

M+ The fragrance:

"Smooth... Subtle... Sexy

A herbaceous blend of tart lime, Italian mandarin and fresh ground black pepper with a clean, crisp citrus top note, a floral violet-lavendaceous middle note and a woody vetiver base note, all inspired by a well-known musician's favorite scent.
    "
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by virgo75 View Post

J. Lo glow
    Britney Spears Fantasy
    Paris Hilton Original

The trifecta! Well done! ::claps::
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 5th October 2007 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Eternity. There, I said it.

I had been thinking along these very bashful lines when I recently tested and then acquired a bottle of the stuff. I can't seem to wear it, but I love Eternity sprayed on wood and on my toilet paper .

I would also nominate Quarry for the back-handed compliment category! Eternity on toilet paper! I'm still laughing about that one.

I have Elizabeth Taylor Passion hiding someplace in my perfume closet. On a cool autumn day, It can be pretty but I've always thought it suffered from trying to be all things, it's a floral, oriental, chypre, aldehydic, animalic (civet leather and musk), and it even has a touch of honey for those who like foody scents... all rolled into one purple bottle.

Oh, I wore Pret-a-Porter a couple of times when I was in my early teen years. I consider it so trashy...

I was *this* close to buying a discounted bottle of the signature perfume from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas last time I was at Beautybase in London, and I'll probably get it next time I go. It was perfectly revolting, but in a bottle so kitchy it's great. That lion is very, very plasticky in real life.

I've also been meaning to buy a bottle of White Musk edp - I'm feeling nostalgia for prep school!

I owned (and used) Obsession as a teenager.
    Also owned and used Giorgio around the same time.

At the time, I thought both fragrances went beautifully with my wardrobe of ripped jeans, heavy metal t-shirts and combat boots.

Obsession ;-) I might as well add it now.

I have listed all my scents,but am a bit embarrast over owning Provocative woman ...It was even my workscent today!For my defence I got it from my mom after a trip to Greece.I'm not terribly fond of it,but wear it from time to time.Espesially at work.Feel guilty if I don't wear a fragrance in my wardrobe for ages...

Ah, yes, embarrassing fragrances...last year I bough Britney Spears Fantasy..(swapped it away already). Don't know what got into me

Blog Entries

I have everything in my wardrobe listed...even my ultra girlie frags (Lancome Miracle & Mary Kay Velocity) that have about a half ounce left in each bottle, but I can't bear to part with them. Also, there's my $4 bottle of Jovan Musk for men that I like to dab on my neck every once in awhile.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424 View Post
    It has Austin Powers on the box
    Quote Originally Posted by tinker424 View Post
    the box and bottle are just awful.
    I don't see how it's possible for the two statements above to be simultaneously true...

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    I have everything in my wardrobe listed...
    Wait, CJ, don't you have ... um ... a Harry Potter fragrance?
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by bebe_delia View Post
    I'm embarrased i used to be a Britney fan. If I listen to her music now, even from the good times, I realize it's trash mostly.
    Same here. Still, I haven't hid any embarrasing scents from my wardrobe, ever.

Oh, and I have wanted to say this for years: I loved Elizabeth Taylor's White Diamonds and (especially) Passion on my mom when I was in my junior high years. She doesn't wear either anymore, as I've since introduced her to other perfumes, but I'm quite sure I'd still like Passion on her. (But I wouldn't say the same about White Diamonds.)
    Last edited by MFfan310; 5th October 2007 at 06:13 PM.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Wait, CJ, don't you have ... um ... a Harry Potter fragrance?
    Hell yes I have a Harry Potter fragrance! And I'm damn proud of it .

Actually, I figured you weren't hiding it from your wardrobe. It's not there, presumably, just because it's not in the basenotes database...
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

For some, to me unknown, reason I find it embarassing to own a bottle of Splendor (EA), so I put it in the owned section...
    The same goes for Giorgio, though that bottle must have turned, because nothing sell-able(is that a word?) can possibly smell that way!!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Actually, I figured you weren't hiding it from your wardrobe. It's not there, presumably, just because it's not in the basenotes database...
    Heh, your post made me realize something. I thought I had made a short blurb saying that I own Harry Potter EDT. I don't visit my own wardrobe that much, so I went to check if that blurb was there, & it was missing. I went to my preferences & I had put it in the "intro to owned" section instead of the "intro to my collection" section. I fixed that . And, I did a search to make sure it still wasn't in the directory. It's not .

If there's anything not in my wardrobe it's because I forgot to put it there. I think all fragrances have their place, even if only to teach us about those that don't quite work for whatever reason. I still have some in my wardrobe that would classify as 'cheap eau de cologne' sitting right alongside my most expensive niche treasures. All scent is worthy scent if it evokes an emotion of some kind or other. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I do, however, have some that I no longer enjoy, and really should swap out or give away. I'm just too damn lazy to prune...
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Ding Ding Ding! I think we have a winner!
    (is there a free sample available?)
    M+ The fragrance:
    "Smooth... Subtle... Sexy
    A herbaceous blend of tart lime, Italian mandarin and fresh ground black pepper with a clean, crisp citrus top note, a floral violet-lavendaceous middle note and a woody vetiver base note, all inspired by a well-known musician's favorite scent.
    "
    MiaKulpa, you are such fun--and so many of these posts are a hoot.
    Yes! Samples. Send me a PM with your address, if you dare. I promise, you WILL be disappointed. At least I was. "M" for mediocre. "M" for meh.
    It's a decidedly male cologne, so that's partly why I'm unenthused.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I don't own any, but will spritz on Chaps by Ralph Lauren whenever I have the chance. Same with Old Spice. I remember the ultra-cheap Chaz fondly, too, though I've not seen it in years.

Even though it's delish and nothing to be ashamed of frag-wise, the ultra-feminine Je Reviens (esp. in the perfume and bath oil forms) is my very favorite "curl up on a cold winter's night at home" frag. LOVE IT!

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Embarassed? Me? No.

I keep my wardrobe pretty up to date and include most of the free samples that I never would have picked on my own but I couldn't bring myself to post the sample of Heiress that a SA once snuck into my bag. I also can't bring myself to open the vial.

And I love Old Spice too!
    Last edited by Kyra; 6th October 2007 at 12:00 AM.

I actually owned Georgio Red in the early 90's and I must say it was a stunning choice with big hair ( and I could seriously do some BIG hair).

Quote Originally Posted by sakecat22 View Post
    I owned (and used) Obsession as a teenager.
    Hey, what's embarrassing about Obsession?

It's still one of my fave spicy Orientals, a great winter warmer.

Or perhaps I'm just guilty of having very bad taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    I couldn't bring myself to post the sample of Heiress that a SA once snuck into my bag. I also can't bring myself to open the vial.
    hahaha for good reason unless you like liquified bubblegum... the only person i know of who likes this stuff is my little sister

Bravo, everyone for your true confessions. I'm sure it took a lot of courage to admit your sins.

Now, will anyone admit to liking, let alone owning, Donald Trump - The Fragrance?
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 6th October 2007 at 09:53 AM.

Ah, I just discovered this thread. Thank you so much MiaKulpa
    And I thought: pff, I have nothing to hide, the thought never even crossed my mind to hide a scent.

But suddenly I remembered Sacred Whore of Babylon (BPAL). Owned. But not on the owned list.

The only ones who felt embarrassed were the ones at the Christmas Party who informed what I was wearing

The Sacred Whore is now proudly added to my 'owned' list.
    Last edited by Riannon; 6th October 2007 at 11:12 AM. Reason: typo as usual
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Sacred Whore of Babylon? sounds like something I'd actually like to sniff.

Wait. That didn't sound right.

::giggle::
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 6th October 2007 at 11:41 AM.

I have no shame and have listed almost everything I own, except the ones that aren't in the directory. I'll even own up to a blind-bought J-Lo Miami Glo and a little bottle of Yves Rocher's Coconut edt that I bought to try and satisfy my coconut craving this summer (brought on by Virgin Island Water). And a frankly noxious bottle of YR Tiare Island Flower water.

You know, I really like the sound of a lot of these perfumes? Mojo? Sounds fabulous, especially with the Austin Powers bottle! can I still get some?
    As for Chaps by Ralph Lauren, I giggled when I read that because I'd never heard of it before. Does it smell like sweaty leather and cowboys? If so, yum!

About the only frags I'm be ashamed to admit to would be the Paris Hilton ones. I'm sorry, I suppose I'm just anti-PH. She's someone I would hate my little girl to emulate.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 7th October 2007 at 12:28 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    About the only frags I'm be ashamed to admit to would be the Paris Hilton ones. I'm sorry, I suppose I'm just anti-PH. She's someone I would hate my little girl to emulate.
    2nd this.

That being said, I have scents from 3 people I can't stand :
    J. Lo
    Britney Spears
    Paris Hilton

It took me until this year to put aside my dislike for J. Lo to try Glow even though it sounded like something I would like "clean, soapy, + musky." Once I tried it and enjoyed it, I put aside my distaste for certain people to try "their" scents since (1)they aren't really the ones coming up with them, and (2)they don't really smell like their fragrances.

As much as I love perfume, I'm not going to allow some shallow tramp's name on the bottle (cough Paris Hilton cough) to keep me from enjoying something.

Speaking of Paris Hilton frags...

http://galleryoftheabsurd.typepad.co...-of-paris.html

(I've been waiting for her to be mentioned so I could drop in this link. )

As for Chaps by Ralph Lauren, I giggled when I read that because I'd never heard of it before. Does it smell like sweaty leather and cowboys? If so, yum!

Here, here!
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 7th October 2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have no shame and have listed almost everything I own, ....... I'll even own up to a blind-bought ......and a little bottle of Yves Rocher's Coconut edt .....
    Same here! And even my bottle of Yves Rocher Coconut "Noix de Coco" is proudly listed among the fumes not in the BN directory.
    :wave: Wordbird!
    Only two are not listed: a Britney Spears Curious solid shimmering perfume stick that I bought for a couple of bucks at the airport and Sephora Temptress?, a weird vanilla-monoi concotion that I use as a roomspray. What came over me? The bad perfume witch whispering in my ear: buy, buy, no matter how stomach turning the juice may be!

But, at the end of the day, I don't feel neither embarassed nor ashamed, nor do I think to have a less refined nose
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by virgo75 View Post
    2nd this.

That being said, I have scents from 3 people I can't stand :
    J. Lo
    Britney Spears
    Paris Hilton

It took me until this year to put aside my dislike for J. Lo to try Glow even though it sounded like something I would like "clean, soapy, + musky." Once I tried it and enjoyed it, I put aside my distaste for certain people to try "their" scents since (1)they aren't really the ones coming up with them, and (2)they don't really smell like their fragrances.

As much as I love perfume, I'm not going to allow some shallow tramp's name on the bottle (cough Paris Hilton cough) to keep me from enjoying something.
    JLo Glow is one of my absolute favourites, and I have no qualms about that whatsoever. I think it's a stonkingly sexy scent.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    JLo Glow is one of my absolute favourites, and I have no qualms about that whatsoever. I think it's a stonkingly sexy scent.
    Is "stonkingly" a real word???!!! If not, why not. I, for one, plan on monopolizing it.

Interesting how often Fantasy and JLo Glo show up - I would add Miami Glow - my particular fave.

How about all those Etat Libre de Orange titles??? Don't Get Me Wrong Baby, I Don't Swallow, Putain des Palaces , Sécrétions Magnifiques (and they're not talkin' sweat here)

And what's embarrassing? The name of the frag or the connotations of the "house" (Britney. Jennifer. Barry.) Or the connotations of the cheapness?

Ruminative Sunday here.....
    Last edited by TaoLady; 7th October 2007 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Pluralized the unplural
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I'm not hiding anything, but I do own something not listed on BN: Sweet Craving by Victoria's Secret. Oh, and a pomegranate body spray from the Garden of Eden in St. Paul, MN. BTW, I really recommend their products!
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay