Code of Conduct

Default I Tried to Love It, Really I Did, Your Honor . . .

What frag (or frags) have you made repeated attempts to love (or even just like well enough), only to fail each time?

I got lucky with Pomegranate Noir (thanks to zztopp and JockWithScents and others!), but have tried on repeated occasions now with three other very different frags and failed miserably over and over. Those three frags are:

A*men by Thierry Mugler
    (Yes, I tried repeatedly over the years, migraines aside -- Scout's honor. I don't know what makes me sicker -- the burnt chocolate or the burnt tar.)

Jardin du Nil by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier
    (Just can't take the particular dark, Victorian, Old World florals in this one. I love the blend in the bottle, but it suffocates me once it hits my skin. Jardin du Nil would make a great potpourri for the Addams Family's mansion -- REALLY. I mean it as a compliment free of sarcasm when I call this one truly funereal and Gothic. )
    Seriously want a bottle? Check out my recently -- and vastly expanded -- swap list.

Arabie by Serge Lutens
    (Very recent series of trials here. Each time I ended up having my hopes dashed, always smelling not like an exotic, spicy Moroccan souk, but rather like a dried old sultana all drenched in treacle).

Again, what are your "tried honorably and repeatedly but rejected consistently and permanently" frags?
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 5th October 2007 at 02:03 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: I Tried to Love It, Really I Did, Your Honor . . .

Guerlain Vetiver (tobacco in the drydown and I just didn't get along)
    Vetiver Extraordinaire (I smelled like a mildewed damp bath towel)
    C & S no. 88 (Just not my personality at all)
    Yatagan (I guess I just didn't have the low-hangers to wear it with confidence)
    Black Aoud (induced headaches, love the scent though)
    Carnal Flower (I felt uncomfortable wearing this in public, too feminine on me)

Givenchy Gentlemen
    Boss Bottled #6
    Jasper Conran Man
    Michael by Michael Kors
    Kouros

Gave them all a chance but they failed to impress
    ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧UK Sale Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for sale UK✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10) LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Creed Royal English Leather
    Montale Boise Vanille
    Clive Christian.. any of em.
    Creed Royal Water
    Bond No. 9 Riverside Drive
    Zino Davidoff

Loads of others, but those are the ones that others seem to like a lot that just didn't fly with me.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 5th October 2007 at 03:21 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Geir. I thought 'if someone loves it so much as to say "it's an angels teardrop" then I'm a fool not to fall in love with it. I've been trying it for one and a half year and now gave it up. About two or three times I felt it's gorgeous, at the remaining about 30 occasions it turned against me, being a muted down Chanel Allure.

Basenotes Institution

I have really tried to like all of Jean Claude Ellena's scents, but (of course) I don't like all of them including:

Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermes
    Eau de Campagne by Sisley
    Caleche Fleurs de Meditteranee by Hermes
    Angeliques sous la Pluie by Frederic Malle
    L'Eau d'Hiver by Frederic Malle

And, the much lauded and loved Dior Homme - I tried, really I did, your honor...

Silver Mountain Water seems to be just too metallic for me.
    Guerlain Vetiver just doesn't do much for me at all.
    A*Men is just too insane.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

As my wish list never stops growing, I am quite relieved when fragrances fail to impress me! It would be suicidal to try hard loving those which were dismissed the first time around.
    Last edited by narcus; 5th October 2007 at 03:38 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

YSL L'Homme: So generic, the juice should have been released under a drugstore label.
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin: Some note just wasn't worth it. (Note: I love the women's.)
    Geir: I didn't get the power of Norway... I got the power of IHOP!
    Many of the Bvlgari men's scents, namely BLV Pour Homme, Pour Homme, Pour Homme Soir, and Aqva Pour Homme: Something just didn't agree with me.
    Boucheron Jaipur Homme: Pure powder.
    Givenchy Pi: Insta-headache (in seconds!). Cool bottle, though.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Geir: I didn't get the power of Norway... I got the power of IHOP!

HAHA
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I think we had this same thread two days ago. Slightly different title but the same basic ending. And I think there were three of four of similar nature not long before that. Thing is, I don't concentrate on things I don't like. I like to focus on what I do like so that the universe responds and gives me more and more of what I want. I learned that a few years ago and my life is now full of more good things than I can even count. When I focused on all the sh*t I disliked, or "hated" (I was a f*ckin pro and no one could touch me), my life was a f*cked up mess.

I'll tell you one I do like, vintage Guerlain Derby. Just bought a bottle of it on ebay. Bought some other sh*t too. I even found some Djedi for a sane price. Hell, I'll have so damn much it'll end up owning me rather than the other way around. Now that's a pain in the ass. Nah, actually it feels pretty damn good.

Let's see, what should I do today? Hum. That's it. I think I'll look for things I don't like. Naaahhhwww, sheee***t, I'm only messin around. I'm gonna find the things I do like. I think I'll start by drivin my new Shelby GT. It's cool and the mist is rollin in. Just had some amazing breakfast. I met this Asian hairdresser at the grocery store last night. I mean, I couldn't be more ready for this day.

Am I staying on topic? Let me see, what fragrance did I try to like but couldn't? There must be one but I can't remember it right now. I'll get back to you.
    Last edited by pluran; 5th October 2007 at 05:14 PM.

Musc Ravageur. The world seems to be divided between those who find it the height of sensuality in fragrance and those for whom (borrowing from Mfan and the Geir IHOP) it's an overnight lockdown in a TJ Cinnabon whose ovens are going full throttle. I've tried approaching this from every angle (physical and intellectual) possible, and just do not grok it.
    "Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with!"
    - Vladimir Nabokov,
    Lolita

[quote=Morgan Creek;1072238]Musc Ravageur[quote]

That's it man! I remembered one. That stuff is way too sweet. Wore it to the dentist one time and barely made it through the session. My girlfriend loves the body lotion but I have a hell of time wearing the fragrance in any form.
    Last edited by pluran; 5th October 2007 at 04:29 PM.

Gaultier2--I love it in theory but I have worn it once in the last year. It smells delicious, but just too sweet. This is last one I reach for.

Polo Blue--I have tried repeatedly to love this, considering how much I loved the original Polo, Polo Crest, and the older Ralph Lauren scents like (blush) Chaps. However, the initial blast combines with my skin chemistry, and let's out a semi-rancid burst. After that, it's pleasant, but an hour later....GONE.

Drakkar Noir--I love all the notes in this scent, but I just do not like the finished product. I have tried for 20 years to love it, and still cannot stand it. Much prefer Ungaro III.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

I could never get Terre d H and D&G PH to work for me. I gave it a solid effort, too.

Shifting gears into the what I like mode...check my avatar - one of my Golden girls just had ten beautiful little pups this week just like the one on my avatar. I'm stoked!!

Best regards,
    Mike

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    Green Irish Tweed

D & G--I just sold it. It's nice actually, but there's something in the drydown that I cannot stand. Its sillage soars too high in heat, even with 1 spray on the chest. So I bid it farewell, sad, isn't it?

Ferrari Passion--It is nice. It's like nothing else. But, it does not like me I think, so no choice, we had to say goodbye.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

1. D&G....I've tried and tried....2.Fahrenheit....I've tried and tried....3.Kouros.....just can't go there....4.Michael Kors....No way, it just does not work....5.Dzing....wanted this to work very badly....to no avail.
    These are respected scents, and I think that's why I tried and tried....but even respected scents don't always work......Gary

Acqua di Parma
    Silver Mountain Water - Creed
    Antaeus - Chanel

I've tried to like a lot of fragrances from a sample vial, but of the ones that I have bottles of:

Terre D'Hermes: I tried to like this because of all the hype, but it basically leaves me unsatisfied. It's a good fragrance, but on certain days I could really pick out some synthetic notes that just didn't sit with me, and the lack of substantial base notes just doesn't cut it.

Mechant Loup: I like this for the first 3 minutes, then it just turns into something bizarre with my skin chemistry. So many people say this smells heavenly... but on me, I always feel like washing it off within 10 minutes. I should sell it to someone that it works on.

Reverie au Jardin: I liked Desert Moracain and Lonestar Memories so much that I thought this must be good... and it was, for a few days. I tried it day after day, but it's just not for me. I just couldn't stop thinking how much better it would smell on a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I think I'll start by drivin my new Shelby GT.
    Lucky you. I saw one of the new Shelby GTs recently. Black (my color) with silver stripes. Looked like a silverback gorilla rumbling through the parking lot. Made my evening.

I have really tried to like Musc Ravageur.. But i just cant!!!!

Prada Amber pour Homme. There is no "there", there.

Off-Scenter

I know this experience well.

I tried like h*ll with Amouage Gold: repulsive on me, no matter what.

Bois du Portugal: I can't cope with the drydown, no matter how many times I try. It goes all powdery/soapy/ in a fusty kind of way on me.

Dzing!: I've tried and tried and tried to put on enough to make it last - to no avail. Ten minutes, max!

Coriolan: had it for years and couldn't get myself to like it. I sometimes wonder if I was too young for it.

Then there are a few that I tried and tried and tried...and finally had a breakthrough on:

Santal Noble
    Muscs Koublai Khan
    Iris Bleu Gris
    Yatagan (Has anybody ever liked it on the first try?)

amen...choclate nightmare
    art of shaving sandalwood...where is the sandalwood, they should have called this one eucalyptus pine

Gaultier2...firt time thought it was great, then it reminded me of bubblegum and a bowling alley
    maubussin...better as a room frag