Code of Conduct

Default Penhaligon's Castile vs Acqua di Parma Assoluta

Just tried Castile for the 1st time and was immediately reminded of AdP. Been thinking about getting Assoluta but now Castile has come into the picture. Castile really made an impression. Both are about the same price but I couldn't get a sample of Castile so I had to test it under battle conditions (on top of another scent on my skin).

So that said, which one would you go for?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Re: Penhaligon's Castile vs Acqua di Parma Assoluta

Castile is one of my faves. It gets my vote. I've tried both, and they are definitely in the same ballpark, but Castile is just plain better, imo.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

One should have AdP Colonia and Castile - lemon&rose, neroli&rose, two very different EdC vibes, both incredibly well done. Assoluta is superfluous IMHO.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Go for the Castile. It's got one of the best longevities of any citrus frag out there, and it's never, never out of fashion.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

AdP has higher snob value, but Castile is the better fragrance.
    Last edited by zztopp; 6th October 2007 at 01:11 AM.
    -

Castile would be my choice--excellent fragrance. If you want an Acqua di Parma scent, get Colonia, not Colonia Assoluta. Colonia is much better--the citrus in Assoluta is very unpleasant, IMO.

Post Re: Penhaligon's Castile vs Acqua di Parma Assoluta

Agreed. Assoluta has very sweet and dissapointing drydown - it's more or less a mess in my opinion. It has no distinctive character like original Colonia.

Glad I'm in such good company--I'd pick Castile over Assoluta easy, and I'd also say Colonia is the better of the AdPs. Sign me up for the chorus and tell me when practice is.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Glad I'm in such good company--I'd pick Castile over Assoluta easy, and I'd also say Colonia is the better of the AdPs. Sign me up for the chorus and tell me when practice is.

I'll be even more specific. I'd pick Castile over Assoluta, but I think ADP Colonia is a better scent than Castile. Moreover, strictly looking for a neroli based eau de cologne, I would choose Parfums de Nicoli's Cologne Sologne over Castile. Nothing wrong with Castile, mind you, but Colonia and Cologne Sologne are pretty heady company.

I'd pick both ADP Colonia or Assoluta over Castille.
    Castille is very nice, but way simpler to me. Flowery neroly is most I get from it.The AdP is more interesting and I get more developement on my skin from it.It lasts longer too.
    Last edited by eric; 6th October 2007 at 08:06 PM.