Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation magnetism by escada

just got back from tj maxx and i have to say that they had a decent offering...obsession night, couple different azzaros, tommy bahama, pery ellis, claiborne,etc...the one that i sniffed out was magnetism, prompted by the cola note thread...this stuff smells exactly like pepsi on top, but the dry down is pure pet shop! I dont know what makes that scen but very irresistable by givenchy must share those notes...nasty.
    Last edited by jdnba; 6th October 2007 at 05:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: pepsi+pet shampoo=escada magnetism

I agree with your pepsi top notes, but I do not get you saying it smells like a pet shop in the basenotes. Maybe I do not know what a pet shop smells like. For me, Magnetism has a vanilla type dry down and the tops notes are the worst part but fade quickly into something more managable. It is a unique scent and pretty much ya love it or hate it. I happen to like it.

Post Thanks / Like

i cant explain what a pet shop smells like, but it has a smell...sweet, overpowering, cloying...its the smell of trying to cover up dog smell with shampoo and flea dip...i know some of you guys out there have been in a pet shop before or a pet groomer...that is what i get from this...i guess you are right...love or hate...i pretty much despise this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: pepsi+pet shampoo=escada magnetism

These posts are kind of useless. One perceives some accord of the fragrance that reminds him of something else. I have had similar feelings though, later I always come to find that the resemblance is rather vague; I have focused too much on some particular note. I can't relate with this one.

Post Thanks / Like

any post is kind of useless then...the whole point of posts is to discuss what one percieves in a fragrance, have discussion about it and then get feed back...not ridiculous criticism that has no merit...if you have nothing nice to say, dont post in a thread, unless like others you just cant help yourself...i mean i cant relate to everything everyone says on this site, but if we all agreed on everything this site would be boring...i agree that one percieves a fragrance different than everyone else, but i dont understand why you are getting defensive over my post, unless you are the line manager at the factory which makes this particular frag and your wife and kids wellfare depend on the existence of it....otherwise i will say this one more time...this site is meant for open discussion on frags and snooty, fight starting peeps should look elsewhere for entertaiment, unless one does not believe in the freedom of expression or speech.....maybe you should post in the "george orwell" post, what does communism smell like?hmmmm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    any post is kind of useless then...the whole point of posts is to discuss what one percieves in a fragrance, have discussion about it and then get feed back...not ridiculous criticism that has no merit...if you have nothing nice to say, dont post in a thread, unless like others you just cant help yourself...i mean i cant relate to everything everyone says on this site, but if we all agreed on everything this site would be boring...i agree that one percieves a fragrance different than everyone else, but i dont understand why you are getting defensive over my post, unless you are the line manager at the factory which makes this particular frag and your wife and kids wellfare depend on the existence of it....otherwise i will say this one more time...this site is meant for open discussion on frags and snooty, fight starting peeps should look elsewhere for entertaiment, unless one does not believe in the freedom of expression or speech.....maybe you should post in the "george orwell" post, what does communism smell like?hmmmm
    Gentlemen,
    If I can hazard a guess I'd say Johnny was probably suggesting that we readers don't need to take comparisons like "pet shop" too literally, and evaluate whether fragrance drydowns exactly duplicate birdcage drydowns. I certainly don't know for sure, but that's what I'd hazard is going on.

Otherwise maybe members simply need to disagree. No need for commentary about snooty, fight starting, or invitations to post elsewhere. No need to think life's freedom of expression is at stake or communism on the rise on the basis of these posts either. Why not say, well I see it or smell it differently. Call the scent as you see it.

Beyond that, take disputes to PM please.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: pepsi+pet shampoo=escada magnetism(God forbid i have an opinion)

I'm guessing the note that produced the scent that reminded jdnba of a pet shop might be the saffron, or the saffron in combination with another note or notes, and I can see how the saffron might remind one of being in the vicinity of said establishment habitated by small furry mammals in small wire compartments occassionally lined with shavings, wood chips and whatnot--"not that there's anything wrong with that." I know when I tried Magnetism, I liked it except for the saffron, which stood out too much for me. Now, I do like the saffron in Armani Mania...it seems more refined to me in that one. Which reminds me of going through all the posts in the archive on Mania when I researched that one, and all the posts from one guy who said all his women went absolutely wild over him when he wore Mania!

About the pet shop thing, hey, c'mon, when we mention cedar, we talk about that "hamster cage" scent all the time! By the way, I checked the directory page for Magnetism, and one woman who did a review said her husband thought the drydown had a "locker room smell." To each their own...ya can't take it personally.
    Last edited by Spicemeister; 6th October 2007 at 06:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spicemeister View Post
    I'm guessing the note that produced the scent that reminded jdnba of a pet shop might be the saffron, or the saffron in combination with another note or notes, and I can see how the saffron might remind one of being in the vicinity of said establishment habitated by small furry mammals in small wire compartments occassionally lined with shavings, wood chips and whatnot--"not that there's anything wrong with that." I know when I tried Magnetism, I liked it except for the saffron, which stood out too much for me. Now, I do like the saffron in Armani Mania...it seems more refined to me in that one. Which reminds me of going through all the posts in the archive on Mania when I researched that one, and all the posts from one guy who said all his women went absolutely wild over him when he wore Mania!

About the pet shop thing, hey, c'mon, when we mention cedar, we talk about that "hamster cage" scent all the time! By the way, I checked the directory page for Magnetism, and one woman who did a review said her husband thought the drydown had a "locker room smell." To each their own...ya can't take it personally.
    Beautifully put. Spicemeister, you are a gentleman.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Whoops--my mistake--in the interest of fairness, I realized that it was the WOMEN'S Magnetism, not the men's, which one husband described as having a locker room smell!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the posts, i apologize for any rudeness on my part to dustb and anyone i might have offended...spicemeister, thank you for understanding my comparrison...i know it was a little off the wall! Ha, peace out yall!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: magnetism by escada

I never meant to offend you jdnba, I am sorry that I did. I don't think people around here think of me as a man who offend people for fun, that for sure is not my purpose. Your point, that the forum is for sharing our perceptions of fragrances is correct, you are right.

What I meant was, that we often pick some note of a fragrance, and focus too much on it. If you'd mix Pepsi with a pet shop smell, it actually wouldn't smell like Magnetism. This doesn't give that much info about the fragrance itself, it's just a vague recemblance you, I and we all could pick.

I questioned the way of assimilating a given smell with a fragrance, not you as a person or your perception itself. I hope you accept my apology. I love the friendly atmosphere here, it's unique - internet forums aren't always very civilized you know. I hope to be part of keeping it up in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: magnetism by escada

no problem, really...apology accepted of course