Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What are the notes in Neutrogena's Rainbath shower gel?

I usually don't use scented bath / shower gel because I don't want the scent of it to clash with my SOTD. But I broke down and recently, I bought a shower gel I used years ago - Neutrogena Rainbath. I'm not sure if they sell this outside of the US, but it comes in a clear plastic pump and the gel is amber in color.

The smell is incredible, its spicy and slightly sweet and soapy (of course). Now that I am more interested in fragrances I'm wondering what notes in Rainbath that I like. Is it cinnamon or some other spice? Is there any florals in this?

Does anyone know a fragrance that closely resembles the smell of Rainbath?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th October 2007 at 10:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What are the notes in Neutrogena's Rainbath shower gel?

Mike - I don't think I've ever seen this, but your description makes me really want to try this!!! Where do you find it??
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

O M G

I used nothing else before work for at least ten years.

mid 70's on till......

always remember it smelling very good.

we still use Neutrogena's products around here.

wife loves the hand cremes and some other stuff.

Fred Hayman - Touch

JockWithScents hit on square on the nose -- it's Touch by Fred Hayman.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 5th October 2007 at 11:56 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Yes but I read your review tvlampboy and that is where I got it......the credit is all yours.

Post Thanks / Like

Found it on Fragrancenet.com for very cheap if anyone is interested in buying it...

http://www.fragrancenet.com/f/net/mf...der=M&gs_gen=m

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    Mike - I don't think I've ever seen this, but your description makes me really want to try this!!! Where do you find it??
    I just bought it at CVS, but I've also seen it for sale at my supermarket (in the cosmetics section - not the soap section). There's 2 kinds, the original amber brown one and a new blue one. I'm referring to the original.

Touch by Fred Hayman, huh Barry...? OK, I'll try it.

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

But how did the 93' Touch get into my morning shower during the mid 70's thru the 80's and who is Barry?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I just bought it at CVS, but I've also seen it for sale at my supermarket (in the cosmetics section - not the soap section). There's 2 kinds, the original amber brown one and a new blue one. I'm referring to the original.

Touch by Fred Hayman, huh Barry...? OK, I'll try it.
    Trust me -- it can be had very cheap on eBay, and it's worth every cent and then some if you fancy Rainbath. It's probably the best Hayman frag, IMHO, although his knock-off of Blu (Indigo, I think) isn't half bad at all. The 273 I once called "the poor man's Antaeus," but (upon closer testing) it just isn't so -- although I've smelled far, far worse.

Try the Touch -- me think you likie.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 3rd January 2008 at 04:13 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Trust me -- it can be had very cheap on eBay, and it's worth every cent and then some if you fancy Rainbath. It's probably the best Hayman frag, IMHO, although his knock-off of Blu Notte (Indigo, I think) isn't half bad at all. The 273 I once called "the poor man's Antaeus," but (upon closer testing) it just isn't so -- although I've smelled far, far worse.

Try the Touch -- me think you likie.
    I just got a bottle!

Man, Touch is so affordable - I've paid more for coffee at Starbucks. If I hate it, I can use it as a room spray, at this price.

Thanks Matt.

Post Thanks / Like

which bottle is it mike? the blue, the amber , or the pink? I saw all three online, are they the same?

It's a clear bottle with a black lid and a red, faux wax seal on the front of the bottle itself. Black box.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Ha Ha Ha...I laughed when I saw this thread because I just love this stuff. Now understand I have a gabillion shower gels but when I travel I only take samples of this to ease up my travel load. I just threw some samples in my toiletry bag for my trip next week to the apple and than I see this thread...LOL...

My Favourite Travel Shower Gel...

Fragrance On,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 6th October 2007 at 01:47 PM.

A LOT of amber and lavender in Touch, but not so loud an amber/lavender mix as Malone's Amber & Lavender.
    Very soft, very warm, almost baby powderish, yet very masculine, wouldn't you say, Otto?
    Nice stuff for the price, this. Need to add this one to my growing "bang for your buck" list.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 6th October 2007 at 01:09 PM.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    which bottle is it mike? the blue, the amber , or the pink? I saw all three online, are they the same?
    I think you're asking about the Neutrogena - right? The one I like is the amber color shower gel. That's the one that tvlampboy is comparing to Touch.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Very soft, very warm, almost baby powderish, yet very masculine, wouldn't you say, Otto?
    Nice stuff for the price, this. Need to add this one to my growing "bang for your buck" list.

Oh yeah this is very masculine and yes nice stuff for the price-agreed.

Otto

Sorry about the color question earlier -- I thought you meant the color of Touch itself. (Didn't want it confused with Touch With Love, another Fred Hayman frag.)

MPerez nailed it -- the Neutrogena Rainbath in question is amber in color. It's not cheap, either -- the big pump bottle is between $18 and $25 most places. (Seems a lot for glorified bath soap/shower gel, at least at first.) I pay it gladly because it a) has an incredible scent and b) goes a long way and c) is great for moisturizing. (I get dry skin in the wintertime.) All in all, well worth the price. Also, those of you who wear Touch will find that using Rainbath before putting on your frag actually can extend the life of the fragrance.

Insofar as venues are concerned: I tried buying some Rainbath on eBay last year, but the shipping costs ate up the price difference quickly. CVS, Walgreens and most discount stores carry it, and the bottles are huge.

I have neither Touch nor Rainbath around right now -- this thread is inspiring me. Damn!
    My expanded sales list, btw -- it's fall cleaning time 'round here:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200065
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 6th October 2007 at 01:33 PM.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: What are the notes in Neutrogena's Rainbath shower gel?

I think you're asking about the Neutrogena - right? The one I like is the amber color shower gel. That's the one that tvlampboy is comparing to Touch.
    yeah, i was talking about the showergel, but thanks tvlampboy for the info on the frag as well...you both have my interests piqued!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I sure do love you guys. I just picked up a bottle of Rainbath (nearly $8 for 8.5oz). I've already taken my shower for the day, but when I got home I immediately washed my hands with it. YOWZA this stuff smells sooooooo gooooood! Matt - it's good to hear that it's good for moisturizing 'cause I get really dry skin in the winter, as well. I usually use boring Oil of Olay body washes, but now I have something I'm excited to use! This may just be my holy grail bath product! I use the Neutrogena acne bar soap for my face sometimes, & I think they're scented the same as Rainbath. Mike - I'm sure glad you started this thread!!! I can't wait to shower after the gym tonight .

Post Thanks / Like

do most cvs have this, or is it a rarity...i have seen it online, but i guess since i wasnt looking for it in the store i might have passed it up

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I sure do love you guys. I just picked up a bottle of Rainbath (nearly $8 for 8.5oz). I've already taken my shower for the day, but when I got home I immediately washed my hands with it. YOWZA this stuff smells sooooooo gooooood! Matt - it's good to hear that it's good for moisturizing 'cause I get really dry skin in the winter, as well. I usually use boring Oil of Olay body washes, but now I have something I'm excited to use! This may just be my holy grail bath product! I use the Neutrogena acne bar soap for my face sometimes, & I think they're scented the same as Rainbath. Mike - I'm sure glad you started this thread!!! I can't wait to shower after the gym tonight .
    Enjoy CJ.

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going back to being a Rainman again!

Rainbath: the official shower gel of Basenotes!
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 6th October 2007 at 08:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    do most cvs have this, or is it a rarity...i have seen it online, but i guess since i wasnt looking for it in the store i might have passed it up
    I got mine @ CVS. I found it in the "specialty bath products" section.

Post Thanks / Like

I got mine @ CVS. I found it in the "specialty bath products" section.
    cool thank you
    --------------------------------------
    i wanted to tell yall that i layerd, on 2 different occassions kihls musk and minotaure with rainbath...both work out really nice, the musk sort of compliments it and the minotaure makes it stand out a little more...anyone else on whats good to wear after showering with this?
    Last edited by jdnba; 9th October 2007 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, so I got my bottle of Touch for Men by Fred Hayman (not to be confused with Burberry Touch...) and it is definitely an olfactory match of the scent of Rainbath by Neutrogena.

It marries that distinct fougere top note that Brut has and then dries down to a more spiced and amber-ish smell. I don't see the comparisons to Caron Pour un Homme, but I'm going to give it a couple more wearings before I nix the comparison. CPUH is powdery icky on me, and even though the TFM does get powder-ish on me, it's a subtle powder and I'm going to have to see if this is troublesome for me or not.

At the price ($8.99 at Imagination Perfumery) I can use this as a scent for my car, and still be happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know where I can get the big bottle of Rainbath? I see there is a 32 ounce and a 40 ounce bottle. Must be a better value, no? I've seen it on amazon and ebay, but I'd prefer a local store. The CVS and Walgreens near me only carry the 8 ounce bottle for about $8.50. **EDIT** I answered my own question -- Sam's Club sells the huge 40 ounce for $16.58!!! Wow!!!!

Also, are there two versions of the original? I see two...are they the same but different colors?:

(Neutrogena Rainbath Refreshing Shower and Bath Gel)

(Neutrogena Rainbath Shower and Bath Gel - No "Refreshing")

As you can see, the refreshing one is darker in color.

At any rate, I love this stuff! And I've ordered two bottles of Touch by Fred Kayman from Amazon!
    Last edited by atrac; 26th December 2007 at 05:32 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    Also, are there two versions of the original? I see two...are they the same but different colors?:
    They're the same. Sometime recently Neutrogena added 'Refreshing' to the title but it smells, washes and feels exactly the same as the non-'Refreshing' did. The color is the same too. The pictures are off (perhaps different lighting?)

Post Thanks / Like

.. It marries that distinct fougere top note that Brut has and then dries down to a more spiced and amber-ish smell....
    I definitely pick up the Brut-ish note in Rainbath too, Mike, which gives it a bit of a retro feel to me. Unfortunately, it sits next to my l'Occitane Eau des Baux shower gel and I ultimately end up reaching for the latter. My wife seems to like it, even though the Brut fougere notes tip Rainbath toward the masculine IMO.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Post Thanks / Like

I used Rainbath shower gel years ago, love it! It's in the drug stores, grocery, WalMart, etc. You might also be interested in their body oils, scented or unscented. I use a little oil on my wet skin in the shower and then towel off, it eliminates the need for lotions and creams. I have dry skin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

DH and I both love Rainbath - we buy it at our local Sam's Club - and used to get it at Costco - they have the 40 oz size.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

How do you fit the 40 oz. in your shower? I've got the regular size and I love it. It's my favorite shower gel after Creed's Erolfa Body Wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Ruggles,

It has it's own "niche" on the side of the tub
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    How do you fit the 40 oz. in your shower? I've got the regular size and I love it. It's my favorite shower gel after Creed's Erolfa Body Wash.
    My 40oz-er sits on a ledge in my shower that's just about at eye level. It is pretty big...I usually just use my 40oz-er to refil my normal 8.5oz bottle, but I've gotten lazy so I just despense out of the big bottle. It's almost time for me to go to Sam's for a new one!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't belong to Sam's Club, but I did go in today and buy two 40 ounce bottles. Those one day shopping passes do come in handy!

I won't need to buy some for quite some time I'd say. :P

oh boy, I think I 'll have to get this now too.
    During the seventies I used to use (and still do) the Neutrogena sesame body oil after showering. At that time I soaped up with Yardley's English Lavendar bar soap. The rainbath sounds like the moisture I'd like during winter.
    I think the two will complement one another nicely.

thanks for this thread.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

Will this overpower my SOTD? I just bought some and I hope it will not...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Will this overpower my SOTD? I just bought some and I hope it will not...
    No. You won't smell it after a couple minutes after you've left the shower.

so glad I found this thread. I've loved this stuff for years -always wished they made it into a body spray or lotion. I'll have to try the Touch.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm such a lemming, I bought this after reading this thread.

It reminds me somewhat of Dana Canoe, very refreshing!

No. You won't smell it after a couple minutes after you've left the shower.
    I've been unable to use fragrance for the last couple of days, due to a case of food poisoning, so I've gotten my fragrance fix by showering with Rainbath. After my shower I've been able to smell it on my skin for the entire day. It isn't over powering, but it's there and it is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I've been unable to use fragrance for the last couple of days, due to a case of food poisoning, so I've gotten my fragrance fix by showering with Rainbath. After my shower I've been able to smell it on my skin for the entire day. It isn't over powering, but it's there and it is wonderful.
    Yea, I use Rainbath as well, and it seems to last on my skin the entire day as well. Guess it's just the chemistry at work again. Love the scent though. =)

Post Thanks / Like

It would have been interesting if Fred Hayman had sold a "Touch for Men" shower gel, no?