Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default >>Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Oct. 6>>AMBER--Celebrating Sudsy

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or otherwise, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment. It's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within the themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    January ~ Oriental
    February ~ Animalic

(civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

March ~ Chypre
    April ~ Floral
    May ~ Fruity
    June ~ Citrus
    July ~ Green
    August ~ Fresh or aquatic
    September ~ Fougere

("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

October ~ Ambery
    November ~ Spicy
    December ~ Gourmand

Today's S&S is dedicated to that most buoyant BNer: Sudsy.

(Memorial thread here.)
    We were lucky to know Susan, and I'm sure
    these last few months of her unexpected short life
    were made more joyous because of her
    involvement with all you good people.

See previous SnS discussions:
    January 6, 2007 ~ Orientals
    February 3, 2007 ~ Animalics
    March 2, 2007 ~ Chypres
    April 14, 2007 ~ Florals
    May 4, 2007 ~ Fruity
    June 2, 2007 ~ Citrus
    [For the months of July and August 2007,
    regular BN was offline and supporters
    had access to an abbreviated site.
    We discussed aquatics and greens,
    but those posts are no longer accessible.]
    September 1, 2007 ~ Fougere
    Last edited by Quarry; 5th October 2007 at 11:07 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: >>Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Oct. 6>>AMBER--Celebrating Sudsy

Wearing Ambre Sultan, just spritzed it on, so right now I'm enjoying the resinous, nostril-burning top notes.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

wearing anne pliska (sample from musse) think i applied too much

Ambre Sultan for me.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

I wish I had one to apply so I could join you all. I will live vicariously through you instead.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Wearing SL Chergui today.When I first applied it was quite peppery and a littlebit drier than I remembered.Now it's gradually warming up.Amber and leather seems to be notes I'm not that familiar with.Does anyone else get leather from Chergui?Anyhow,this is one of my favourite scents by far!

Ambre et Diamant Noir from Ambregris (Sylvie Jesua)

The ultimate amberscent for me. And now it has become even something more than that.

Top Note: Bergamot, Tarragon, Lavender, Sage, Neroli
    Middle Note: Jasmine, Rose, Orris Butter, Orange Blossom, Jonquil, Ylang-Ylang
    Base Note: Coumarin, Benzoin, Vanilla, Musk, Sandalwood,Patchouli, Oak Moss, Civet, Castoreum, Ambrein
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Hey, Mia!! Maybe you'll have time today to amble down to your local Department Store and ask the S.A. for some advice on Ambers!! So good to have you aboard - just love your alias!! Mea Culpa indeed!! (If you p.m. me with your addy I will happily send you samples of my today's Ambers....and anything else from my wardrobe you would like to try. This was done for me when I became a BaseNoter just a scant year ago - and is still being done [see below!]})

In honor of Sudsy I'm going over the top with THREE ambers today - starting light and ending with a blast.

For early morning Yves Rocher's Voile d' Ambre (thank you Wolfie!!)
    Head Notes: Italian Green Mandarin, Cardamom.
    Heart Notes: Myrrh, Incense, Opoponax.
    Base Notes: Madagascar Vanilla, Australian Sandalwood, Patchouli.....light and lovely, literally a veil of amber.

When she fades, I'll segue into PdE Ambre Russe: (thank you Musse!)
    * Top Notes
    * Vodka, Champagne,
    * Middle Notes
    * Coriander, Cumin, Cinnamon, Russian Tea ,
    * Base Notes
    * Russian Leather, Grey Amber, Church Incense....this is truly unusual and my favoritest amber so far.

To wind up the day, the eponymous bombshell Anne Pliska (Thank you Kyra and Musse!!)
    * Top Notes
    * Mandarin, Bergamot, Orange,
    * Middle Notes
    * Vanilla, Geranium,
    * Base Notes
    * Vanilla, Amber, Musk, Patchouli....even though I don't think of her as an amber. I love her lush, in-your-face sensuousness.

Sudsy and I had/have the same birthday - I'm longing for my scent-sister.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Hi all! I'm not really an amber person so am not participating in today's discussion. But who knows, maybe there is an amber scent out there that would work for me. I will definitely be reading all the posts and educating myself. Have a great day!

I'm in YR Voile d'Ambre too. I was surprised by how light and fresh the top notes were and even now the perfume has warmed into its full amberyness, it's still not too heavy for day wear. It's very nicely made and I'm impressed. I also have L'Occitane's Ambre and it's a very rich, powerful scent that you have to be very careful when applying. This YR Voile is - as Tao says - mush sheerer and more of a veil of scent even though it's an edp.

Following Tao's idea to wear more than one amber today in honour of the lovely Sudsy, I might well add some Ambre Sultan later.

Later same day: I haven't been able to apply an other fragrance, since Voile d'Ambre is still going strong. Well, not 'strong' exactly, since this is a very discreet amber (might be one for you to try Frenchie), but its vanilla/amber base is very definitely there when I press my wrist to my nose. I will wait until tomorrow to wear Ambre Sultan. I'll be very interested to read up on its notes beforehand so I can look out for them and learn a bit more.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 6th October 2007 at 07:06 PM. Reason: later
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Last night I wore Il Profumo's Ambre d'Or. Luckyscent notes: manderine, white peach, grey amber, ambretta datura, opium flowers, white iris, myrrh, rosewood, patchouli leaves macerated in citrus, honey.

This scent starts as a sweet amber with a subtle soapy note. You catch more of the white peach in the blend. The heart is a very nice floral - soft, the right level of sweetness, and no powder. The amber in the heart is still sweet and slightly soapy. The final dry-down is a nicely balanced amber/vanilla with no soapy note. Very pure. I'm going to test this one again - but this one is looking to be FBW. Especially because it had nice lasting power (still caught whiffs of it this morning before my shower)

This morning I am wearing Parfums MDCI - Ambre Topkapi (a sample - no WAY I can afford a $600 bottle of this stuff) Luckyscent notes: bergamot, grapefruit, pineapple, melon cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger, basil, thyme, lavender, oakmoss, vetiver, sandalwood, resewood, leather, Darjeeling tea, amber, musk, vanilla, jasmine, violet.

This is a more masculine amber than the Ambre d'Or and one that takes you on a journey. Starts as a strong citrus (almost reminds me of house-cleaner - a very expensive house cleaner). No amber to be seen. Fades into a nice herbal (masculine - but not unwearable for a woman). THe 3rd phase has the amber making an appearance mixed with flowers - very light, slightly sweet. A leathery/woody/amber note appears in phase 4 and settles in through phase 5 as the flowers make an appearance.

Still a highly wearable fragrance - on me, the masculine notes are not jarringly "Male".

This is one of those scents that you keep smelling your wrist just to see where it takes you. All of the above happened within 1 hour. I'm hoping this doesn't mean that there is no staying power on this scent.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Ambre Narguile, the gold standard as far as this nose is concerned. I like it most in cool/cold weather, but we're near record-breaking highs in the 80s, so the sweet, heavy aura feels a bit much for today.

OFFICIAL NOTES: benzoin, labdanum, musk, vanilla, caramel, honey, sugared tonka bean, grilled sesame seeds, cinnamon, rum, coumarine and white orchids.

I bought a 15ml bottle of AN as a blind buy, even though I don't condone that sort of thing. The notes were so obviously what I wanted, and those official notes are spot on! I think quinpus helped me stock me most recently with a decant of this expensive juice. (Where have you gone, quinpus?) The sillage is just gorgeous.

A secondary round of applause for Marc Jacobs Amber Splash (sent by the thoughtful ComDiva). It's almost decant worthy. I don't quite crave it, but am comfortable wearing the amber hybridized with something conceived in a laboratory to add freshness. I get the same vibe from the heart notes of Bel Respiro, believe it or not.
    Last edited by Quarry; 6th October 2007 at 04:58 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

It's Eau de Narguile by Creations Mathias today. It was included as a bonus scent from Lady In Black in the Oriental 3x3 Sniffa. For me it is much easier to wear than Arabie (too much fruit). It has low sillage which is good because it is very warm today.

Basenotes Institution

Amber and Lavender by Jo Malone (first time from a sample) - I didn't like the top notes (a little too sharp...aldehydes, perhaps?) but after about 15 minutes its really rounding out and smooth. Going to the gym now...

Tonight - my favorite scent in my wardrobe: Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens.

Being an amber lover, I have quite a few to choose from, but I decided to go with a lesser known amber:

Ambre by Esteban
    in the Eau de Toilette concentration (EdP is available as well) from their Matières collection.

Official notes are citrus, pink peppercorn, amber and vanilla.
    A rather straight amber with no embellishing curlicues, it is golden and enveloping but kept interesting by the counterpoint of peppercorns.

It is a pity this house is not appreciated more, since they have many well-blended fragrances at very reasonable prices. Their home line is simply fabulous. I own every single scenting product in Amber: incense, room spray, ceramic pebbles sachets, scented solution for mikado bouquets....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

It's Ambre Russe for me today.
    Mixed feelings when I wear this one. On the one hand I love this fragrance, but unfortunately I also have a less hapier memory linked to this fragrance.
    Anyway, on this Amber day, and for Sudsy ofcourse, although I didn't know her that well, I''ll be happy to wear it.

It's all I want in a amber fragance.It's a very deep, warm amber, together with boozy, vanilla acords. It reminds me of those cakes with rum,and raisins in it. Perfect for cold days.
    Last edited by eric; 10th October 2007 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    [FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="3"]Hey, Mia!! Maybe you'll have time today to amble down to your local Department Store and ask the S.A. for some advice on Ambers!! So good to have you aboard - just love your alias!! Mea Culpa indeed!! (If you p.m. me with your addy I will happily send you samples of my today's Ambers....and anything else from my wardrobe you would like to try. This was done for me when I became a BaseNoter just a scant year ago - and is still being done [see below!]})
    lovely, literally a veil of amber.
    Awwwww, how sweet of you. I'm overwhelmed by the generosity of the denizens of Basenotes.

My mother died just over two months ago, so I am in deep empathy as well as sympathy with you all who are mourning your friend, while celebrating her spirit in scent. I especially feel for Eric, and his similar family loss brought back via his choice of fragrance for this exercise.

In fact, my interest in fragrance occurred during those first tearful days, and thoughts of her love for Chanel No. 5 -- as well as her hatred for the hand me down bottle of Eternity I sent her from my impulse purchase from a magazine scent strip when I was living in London late 80's (she "re-gifted" it) -- and her guidance through my first perfume purchases (Coco, Miss Dior) are brought back. She also stole my Coco body powder that she had given me as a gift!

So amazing how scents can spur memories.

Ok, so back to amber chat....I have a question for you all:

Do you consider amber a feminine, masculine, or gender neutral note?
    Last edited by MiaKulpa; 6th October 2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

It's supposed to be nearly 90 degrees and humid today so I'm wearing the teeniest, tiniest dab of Prada. So far I haven't knocked anyone over.

Adding a spritz of Ambre Sultan to add to the celebration of Sudsy
    what a warm rich voluptuous fragrance this is!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

summer means fireflys

I love amber!

One thing I love about S&S days is to push myself a little ... try something in a genre that I might not care for so much or try something new in a category that I do like. So a few days ago when Mike asked if anyone was wearing one of the L'Artisans I thought "why not?" I wear my favorite amber scents at least once a month anyway, why not re-visit an amber that I have not worn for a very long time?

I find Ambre Extreme sort of an in-the-middle amber scent. It's not as soft and whispery as Etro Ambra but not near as bold and kick-ass as Ambre Sultan either. The main starring notes are amber and vanilla. It starts off a little powdery; but now, a few hours later, I'm not getting that powder feeling at all. There is a little "buzz" in the drydown, a slight resinous smell like maybe opoponax or benzoin gives, but not full-blown incense.

My sample is from a vial, dabbed on, not sprayed. I'm a few hours into my wearing, it seems to have good staying power so far. I would say the sillage is moderate.

For those who find Ambre Sultan too much, Ambre Extreme might be just the amber scent you are looking for.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MiaKulpa View Post
    Ok, so back to amber chat....I have a question for you all:
    Do you consider amber a feminine, masculine, or gender neutral note?
    Utterly neutral. I was surprised to read (somewhere?) that it was considered a woman's note.
    After DH showers later, he'll apply Stella Rose Absolute. Now there's a beautiful amber. I don't like rose, but the amber base in this fragrance makes it appealing to me.

For today's amber Sniff & Speak, I am breaking in a brand new one, bought blind because I couldn't sample a solid perfume, and saved 'til now, wondering with trepidation whether I'd made a moderately expensive mistake, or a really lucky good choice.

In Fiore Fumee d'Ambre Parfum Solide is a total winner!

Notes: incense, vetivier root, patchouli leaves, with a dry down of musk and sweet amber.

I could happily bathe in this stuff and spend my days lounging around, smelling glorious.

That said, since we're going on an amber binge today for Sudsy, believe I will break out my Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab Blood Amber for my SoTE.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

summer means fireflys

I went to a party tonight, so I spritzed some Ambre Sultan on before leaving the house. I got three compliments at the party!

Ambre Sultan is not only one of my favorite ambers, it is one of my favorite scents of all time ... always in my top 10 of anything ... I adore the way the herbs, spices, smoke, and incense play off the amber but never overtake it ... it's truly amazing.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Here it is, about five (well eight at night by now) in the afternoon on the far western edge of the basenotes day and still not a word out of me on what has got to be one of my favorite notes. So what’s with that? I’ve been thinking about this S&S for days and testing out ambers as well. Certainly the headcold, leaving me a bit muzzy and unfocused plays some part in this, but I think the note itself is part of it too. It’s almost like an axiom in my scent vocabulary, essential but difficult to describe. And although it is prominent in many beloved scents, I wanted to find something that was amber straight up or amber embellished, rather than amber as a supporting player or amber in there somewhere.
    So I was going to compare labdanum with ambergris tincture, but that didn’t get far as I realized that I didn’t actually have the labdanum and I couldn’t open the tincture. I do have benzoin all over the top of one wrist and the next time I’ll be smart enough to dilute it. It’s lovely, dark, spicy, sweet and resinous and it isn’t overly strong, but it is awfully sticky. And by itself, it isn’t my idea of a reference point amber. If it makes sense to anyone but me benzoin is chocolate brown velvet, amber is honey gold.(Yes I know, benzoin is a major component in many amber blends- just not my ideal of amber.)
    So on to ambers I have tried this week:

Ava Luxe- Amber Essence – not much other than amber here, not over sweet but neither stunning nor that long lasting on me

Profumum- Ambra Aurea- tested well against the Ava Luxe, but at that price differential it bloody well ought to. Rich and spicy with a good deal of incense and tenacity.

Hermes Amber Narguile- decidedly more powerful than the Ambra Aurea, but perhaps a bit less amber dominant, reminds me very much of Ambre Sultan, but I wore them in sequence not in parallel so I will need to recheck..

Ambre Sultan- no shortage of amber here, but what really sends me about this scent is the effect of resin and spice hitting hot coals.

Anne Pliska- A scrumptious orange creamsicle for grown up girls (not that I’ll tell any of you what to wear- but this would be quite a stretch for most guys). This is one bottle that I don’t doubt that I’ll be able to finish. This is about as far as you can get from challenging, subtle and unapproachable.

L’Occitane Ambre- straight up, easy, clean, if a little too sweet on me, I think this is better than is usually credited here. Not a house known for complex creations, but the quality is generally good and none of them give me headaches.

Blue Amber- This is amber rendered cool and dry and I like the way that works on me. I would have snapped it during the Montale sale, if it hadn’t disappeared from their opaque and difficult website before I got there. I wore the last of my sample on Thursday in memory of Sudsy, blue rendered bluer.

Continuing today with Etro Ambra, another resinous (though not as resinous as AS) amber scent with labdanum, styrax and opoponax notes. Verrrrry good.

I finished the Amber S&S by wearing MPG Ambre Précieux to bed. This was my first amber dominated fragrance and one of the less sweet I own. Perfect on both genders IMO (my brother is happily perusing a decant), it impresses me with its very balanced blend every time I wear it and I can even get along with the lavender in the start . I should be wearing it more often.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Continuing the fun in Molinard's Ambre today. Light and clear amber with benzoin and touches of white pepper and high-quality soap. Mmmmmm!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

For the rest of the day Ex Voto Ambre Profond, a gentle, powdery Oriental.

Notes: amber, vanilla, patchouli, Persian incense and Tibetan musk.

reading through this posting today, and even though I was not wholly involved in amber on the amber day, I did sample some ambers in preparation of amber day.

I have to say that so far Anne' Pliska is my very favorite amber, even nosing out the more full bodied and assertive Ambre Sultan. It may be that I am going through a soft period, but I feel entirely comforted by the cashmere effect of Anne' Pliska. It seems to be a very versatile scent for a woman that could be worn anytime, really, as the mood suits you.

I am very intrigued now, by Amber Narguile. The descriptions here are scrumptious.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

It's Anne Pliska for me today. The cold & rainy weather has magnified the wonderful "play-doh" note that I get in Pour Un Homme's drydown.

I'm a day late on this as I was out all day yesterday. In Madame X for this. I love the amber in this, though it has a lot more to it.