Code of Conduct

Default What would you wear to a steakhouse?

I have been scratching my melon on finding a suitable scent to wear for an important dinner date. Here is the story, a potential boyfriend has invited me to a classy steakhouse (the ones that serves spinning bowl salad and Yorkshire Pudding) this Sunday. I want to wear something special but not too intrusive to the food and the ambience. I have 31 hours from now to decide.

Ladies, what did you wear last time you went to a steakhouse? What would you suggest from my wardrobe?

Gentlemen, what do you think is a suitable scent for a lady to wear for such occasion?

Thank you for all your inputs in advance.

Default Re: What would you wear to a steakhouse?

something spicy and/or vanilla-ish, that stays close. you don't want it to compete with the food for 'foodiness', but you don't want a big sillage of flowers over the smell of beef. (or, at least, i wouldn't.)

in his book Les Sens du Parfum perfumer Guy Robert says the best perfume for dinner are chypres, they blend nice with food and wine. no spicyness, no sweetness.
    I suggest Mitsouko or Miss Dior

how exciting, dinner with a potential BF.

I've read somewhere (I think I'm quoting mikeperez) that Ambre Narguile is a great gourmand scent which will go very well with food.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I second dimple's suggestion! I believe Mike was referring to Chandler Burr. Quoting this latter:
    "You have never truly experienced a meal until you've done so with three drops of Ambre Narguilé on each wrist. But it changes you as well. It is a scent that alters and heightens taste. It is mesmerizing culinary alchemy. It warms the air. It renders you mouthwatering."

CoCo, isn't this your intention? I would recommend you apply it one hour in advance, so it can really melt on your skin. Fingers crossed, my dear!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Samsara, Ambre Narguile, Chergui

Second Date:
    Musc Ravageur, Bandit

I would either go with Gucci edp or L'heure Bleue, I think Oh,and hope it all goes well!

Red face Re: What would you wear to a steakhouse?

Something deep and classy.

I second Mitsouko.

Or maybe Dune by Dior. Or anything you have that is particularly woody or dry.
    --------------------------------------
    Hmmm... You know... What about Kingdom?
    Last edited by Kotori; 6th October 2007 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Have fun! It sounds so nice and romantic :-)

I agree with either vanilla/ambery or chypre but I don't think a floral would suit the ambience as well. Florals are nice for daytime dates, but candlelight and a big dinner says Oriental or chypre, to me. Let us know how it goes!

you should always wear whatever you feel like wearing because the only thing that matters is feeling connected to yourself. if you don't feel connected to yourself then nothing will be right.

I'd go for something rich and woodsy that you feel confident (and a tad sexy) in. But apply lightly so you don't compete with the food. I'd say one of your Caron favourites, Bois des Iles or Vol de Nuit.

But I'm mystified about Yorkshire Pudding being posh.

Have a great date. x
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I'm a food and wine freak - so I would probably go scentless or something very close-wearing so I could taste the wine and how it meshes with the steak and sides. And if he's also a food/wine freak - he might not appreciate "smelling" you. At least to start....

If the date is starting to get successful - I'd bring a small decant of your favorite sexy scent - applied very sparingly - before dessert. If it's a bust - you haven't wasted drops of your best stuff.

Of course, I'm such a dolt - I tend to forget that step....

Good luck

Default The encounter, perhaps, of two classics?

I don't know how you feel about rose fragrances, but if you have one that you really like on yourself, I'd recommend that highly; for some reason, a subtle waft of roses seems to mesh very nicely with the scent of roasting meat. C&S 88 is a personal favourite of mine, but any lightly applied rose would do nicely

First of all, thanks everyone for their inputs. They are all fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    I second dimple's suggestion! I believe Mike was referring to Chandler Burr. Quoting this latter:
    "You have never truly experienced a meal until you've done so with three drops of Ambre Narguilé on each wrist. But it changes you as well. It is a scent that alters and heightens taste. It is mesmerizing culinary alchemy. It warms the air. It renders you mouthwatering."

CoCo, isn't this your intention? I would recommend you apply it one hour in advance, so it can really melt on your skin. Fingers crossed, my dear!
    LIB… not sure if I want to be in competition with the food. LOL… Wait, he did mentioned he enjoyed apple pies over crème brulee and he wore DKNY Be Delicious Men last night.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Samsara, Ambre Narguile, Chergui
    Second Date:Musc Ravageur, Bandit
    Thanks Michael for suggesting Chergui… I haven’t worn this for a long long time. It is a very interesting scent which gives me the warmth and the oompth. It works like a chameleon as it smells differently on different occasions or temperature. Last night it smelled dry and spicy on my skin.
    Michael, I don’t know if there will be a second date, for sure I will ask for your suggestions again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    But I'm mystified about Yorkshire Pudding being posh.
    Have a great date. x
    Hmm, it is my first time to try Yorkshire Pudding, I was not overwhelmingly impressed, but the presentation looked really good though. It went nicely with the gravy and sauce. Apparently, it is one of the specialty for this steakhouse and seldom found in other places in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by sakecat22 View Post
    I'm a food and wine freak - so I would probably go scentless or something very close-wearing so I could taste the wine and how it meshes with the steak and sides. And if he's also a food/wine freak - he might not appreciate "smelling" you. At least to start....
    If the date is starting to get successful - I'd bring a small decant of your favorite sexy scent - applied very sparingly - before dessert. If it's a bust - you haven't wasted drops of your best stuff.
    Of course, I'm such a dolt - I tend to forget that step.... Good luck
    He is not a foodie, infact he is not very adventurous with his choice of food. Everything went well and the conversation was flowing. I enjoyed wearing Chergui and I think it wore very close to my skin and non-intrusive (I wore 2 spritzes on each wrists and dabbed a little on my hair)

Coco, Chergui was also a lovely choice...but I am biased there
    Happy your first date went well...but how come he didn't ask you out for a second date immediately?!? He must be short sighted and anosmic...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    He is not a foodie, infact he is not very adventurous with his choice of food. Everything went well and the conversation was flowing. I enjoyed wearing Chergui and I think it wore very close to my skin and non-intrusive (I wore 2 spritzes on each wrists and dabbed a little on my hair)
    Not adventurous with food?!?!?! What else is he not adventurous with ??!?!?!??!

The most important part is that it sounds like you had an excellent time and enjoyed each other's company. Having a great time hanging out together is what creates strong relationships in the long term (it took me 35+ years to figure that one out).

Hopefully, this one is smart enough to ask you out again. We're rooting for you.

Wink Re: What would you wear to a steakhouse?

Hey wait a minute! Coco said she's not sure if there will be a second date. That doesn't necessarily mean he didn't ask her, it might mean she hasn't decided whether he's interesting enough to see again.
    Make him beg, babe.
    ;-)
    Last edited by Wordbird; 8th October 2007 at 05:46 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Coco,

Glad to know the evening went well for you. I am certain you smelled divine in Chergui. As for the second date, I made the earlier suggestions due to my optimistic outlook. Speaking of suggestions, I can’t believe I overlooked Nanadebary Pink. It has a spellbinding, arousing effect on me. I gave a sample to a coworker once. A few minutes after she applied it, I was no longer thinking about work.
    Last edited by Sloan; 8th October 2007 at 07:25 PM.