Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Know Any Allergy Fakers?

I have a couple in my workplace. One of them will send out a mass email to everyone complaining about someone's perfume and her "sensitivity", BUT will come directly to my cubicle after she had sent it and say that it wasn't me because I smell really good..??

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Yes.

And I have always referred to them as Closet Control Freaks. Always trying to control by complaint.
    That is a great way to put it!

I'm not wearing perfume on Thanksgiving due to someone else's fragrance allergies. It's funny because I used to be very sensitive to perfumes too--I would get headaches from strong scents like Poison and Angel. They would honestly trigger nausea and then migraines. I never made a big deal about it; I'd just remove myself from the situation. Thankfully, for some reason my nose and system have changed and I can smell and tolerate a much greater range of scents and smells. I still don't do well with certain air-fresheners and scented hairsprays, though. I agree there are allergy fakers, but there are sensitive individuals too, and when you have a system that is sensitized to fragrance reactions it can make you fearful of having a reaction, and then possibly overreact to scents in the air. It's not an all or nothing issue, imho.

I'm not happy about not getting to wear my fragrance today, I must admit. But it's just not worth the trouble of having that person uncomfortable, or my feeling like a pariah. Some times of year, some elements in the air sensitize people who are normally tolerant of some fragrances. I'm guessing there's a little exaggeration going on in my situation. I have reason to believe so, but I don't want to be the cause of a "scene." I just don't feel fully dressed without my fragrance.

I'll just come home and spray up a storm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lushsoup View Post
    I'm not wearing perfume on Thanksgiving due to someone else's fragrance allergies. It's funny because I used to be very sensitive to perfumes too--I would get headaches from strong scents like Poison and Angel. They would honestly trigger nausea and then migraines. I never made a big deal about it; I'd just remove myself from the situation. Thankfully, for some reason my nose and system have changed and I can smell and tolerate a much greater range of scents and smells. I still don't do well with certain air-fresheners and scented hairsprays, though. I agree there are allergy fakers, but there are sensitive individuals too, and when you have a system that is sensitized to fragrance reactions it can make you fearful of having a reaction, and then possibly overreact to scents in the air. It's not an all or nothing issue, imho.

I'm not happy about not getting to wear my fragrance today, I must admit. But it's just not worth the trouble of having that person uncomfortable, or my feeling like a pariah. Some times of year, some elements in the air sensitize people who are normally tolerant of some fragrances. I'm guessing there's a little exaggeration going on in my situation. I have reason to believe so, but I don't want to be the cause of a "scene." I just don't feel fully dressed without my fragrance.

I'll just come home and spray up a storm.
    My mom used to get terrible allergy and migranes too when I would wear perfume, but like lushsoup, once she started to like perfume and started to wear it, she stopped being allergic to it, why do you guys think that is?

Ha Ha! your friend sounds like my Father-in-law! He always complains about my "perfume-shit" as he calls it, but I don't know how he can smell it over his own *gag* natural odor of cigarette smoke, motor oil and feet. He also complains of allergies whenever he sees an air freshener as well. I know he's faking though because I hid my extremely floral plug in behind the bookshelf and there has been no difference in smell, but he's stopped complaining about smell whenever he comes into our house.
    What a huge faker!