Code of Conduct

Default in cold woods.. some interesting scents for me today

stopped by the fragrance counters today (here in SG) and tested three scents.. surprisingly i found all three quite interesting

first up, i got the chance to sample sables from goutal (which was previously unavailable here) for the first time and i was just like "wow!!".. the much praised immortelle perfume was truly richer than dior's eau noire.. if eau noire reminds me of my mom's kitchen, this sables would seem like a high class bakery or gourmet chef's kitchen.. perhaps a bit too rich for my taste (and status) for now.. maybe when i'm older (and richer) i'll get one of these.. i'm happy with mom's kitchen, haha.. but this is awesome scent nonetheless

also came across a scent called castile from penhaligon's.. although most of the penhaligon's i've tried i have adored but can't decide to own (maybe because i was testing the wrong one first), this was quite a surprise.. reminds me of my beloved lutens FDCitronnier but less richer, more lighthearted i would say.. easier to wear.. the sort which one can settle with when you get tired or overdosed from all the rich ingredient-ed perfumes.. yet well constructed enough as to not leave you bored by it

finally the lutens counter here already has the sample for chene!! tried it out and.. it's reminiscent of cartier declaration and an un-overdosed version of lutens chypre rouge.. a cool, rich oakwood fragrance.. as the SL website says "comfort and magnitude of oak".. and it does make you imagine resting among giant fat trunked trees.. very classy.. maybe i'll get one of this for christmas, hehe

hope i didnt bore you guys by my bantering.. let me know what you think or recommend

-cmk20
    Last edited by lilyboy; 6th October 2007 at 06:12 PM.

Default Re: in cold woods.. some interesting scents for me today

Well, I just sold off Sables, as heavy Immortelle notes are not for me (I'm just too reminded of Maggi liquid spice). Worse even with Eau Noire, a complete disaster.

Castile on the other hand is one of my favorites, it's the smoothest blend of Neroli and rose I've ever encountered, a real comfort scent for me, yet so gentlemanly.

I need to retry Chene, on sampling it at the store I was put off, but such brief impressions don't do justice to Lutens.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Basenotes Institution

Castile was the first Penhaligons scent I ever smelled and I loved it. Not sure if I'd buy a full bottle of it, but it impressed.

Sables I still haven't smelled yet - but I love me some Eau Noire so I'm interested.

Chene I wanted to like, but ultimately I didn't. It left me kind of cold...

I found sables to be too much while I love eau noire... but I don't really see the relation. I know there are food notes, but Eau Noire has so much more going for it that I guess I can't compare the two in my mind...

(jmo)

Thanks for the quick reviews!

Chene is one I want to sample, although a comparison to Chypre Rouge (even in an "un-overdosed" version) doesn't get my hopes up...
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Thanks for the quick reviews!

Chene is one I want to sample, although a comparison to Chypre Rouge (even in an "un-overdosed" version) doesn't get my hopes up...

i tried it on paper and i get oak - the wood
    but on skin (usually the base notes for me) i smell traces of chypre rouge.. the red candied oakmoss portion in a lower dose
    “Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson