Code of Conduct

Default Any Good Coffee Scents?

Looking for a good coffee scent, I tried Very Irresistible by Givenchy and I'm unsure of how I feel about it. According to basenotes I already have two frags with coffee notes: Cristobal by Balenciaga and Yohji Homme; but I don't think the coffee really stands out in either of them. So any suggestions would be great!

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Any Good Coffee Scents?

Ayala Moriel's Finjan.

Cafe Noir by Ava Lux may be the supremo of fragrances.

Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Miracle Homme by Lancome is said to have a coffee quality to it, but I haven't worn it in a few years and can't remember.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

You want coffee the drink or you want the beans?

Homme de Cafe is good at delivering the scent of the beans....dark and well roasted, a bit on the smoky side. It also has that resinous note in it that is reminiscent of solder flux (this assesment provided by our dear Uncle Griff). I believe Scented Monkey carries this. Look for the rectangular brown bottle with beveled front and back. Kinda ugly, but then again you're not going to wear the bottle.

That's really the only frag in my collection that has that vibe. I don't have a lot in the coffee department, but I have heard from reliable sources that MPG's Eau des Iles is the spitting olfactory image of a diaper change in a Starbucks. That is to say, all coffee and baby powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_B View Post
    You want coffee the drink or you want the beans?

Homme de Cafe is good at delivering the scent of the beans....dark and well roasted, a bit on the smoky side. It also has that resinous note in it that is reminiscent of solder flux (this assesment provided by our dear Uncle Griff). I believe Scented Monkey carries this. Look for the rectangular brown bottle with beveled front and back. Kinda ugly, but then again you're not going to wear the bottle.

I agree 100%. Awesome frag.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

back in bleu

Jo Malone Black Vetyver Café - too bad it's so short lasting ...
    MPG Eau des Îles - it's spicy and woody; and the coffee is a little bitter ... hmmm I don't get a strong powder note in it
    I've trademarked the color bleu

L'Artisan Mechant Loup (Hazlenut)

I really encourage you to try a sample of Eau des Îles by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier (MPG). Its a rich brew of coffee, incense, spices and woods. Its a typical MPG fragrance - very intense and extreme in presentation, stuffed with notes, bit chaotic, and sure to get a reaction of one kind or another. I don't get all the smokeyness that people complain about with this one, just a rich coffee/toffee opening followed by a long woodsy/spicy dry down. I love it in small doses, but I imagine that it could be a shocker if over-applied. It took me quite a few wearing to really appreciate it fully.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Cafe Noir by Ava Lux may be the supremo of fragrances.
    Ditto

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Rochas Man. It's a fresh and sweet coffee scent that's a bit similar to Bond No. 9 New Haarlem. I like them both.

Wow! It's been almost a year and I still haven't found my coffee holy grail yet!
    I went out and tried some of your guys' suggestions (the ones I could find anyway), but they were way too sweet. I'm looking for a more realistic smoky coffe note. Rochas Man was like cream and suger with a little coffee mixed in. I'm going to Chicago next month, so I'll have access to Saks and Barney's inventory of fragrances (here in Des Moines we have Von Maur and Sephora, that's it). Jo Malone's Black Vetyver Cafe sounds great, but I don't think I could justify $50 for a 30ml when the fragrance only lasts for 30 minutes, or so I hear.
    So please, all advice on smoky coffee scents that I can find on Michigan Ave. and have lasting power are very welcome!

Banned

There's still A*Men Pure Coffee!

(And, from what I've read, Coze 02 by Parfumerie Generale)
    Last edited by DesGrieux; 3rd September 2008 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UngerWoo View Post
    Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    I second this.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    i second this

I would also recommend New Haarlem and Eau des Iles.
    I find Cafe Noir to be too synthetic and acidic.

Post Re: Any Good Coffee Scents?

If you would like a little wood with your coffee, I suggest you sample Santal Noble MPG.Insanely good fragrance.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    i second this
    Let me third this one. New Haarlem that is.
    Last edited by thebeck; 3rd September 2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: add verbage

Polo Double Black.

I've tried a few (New Haarlem, PDB, Pure Coffee, Rochas Man), but I only like Python and Charles Jourdan The Parfum (both are "women's"). The others seem to be lacking in refinement, and are difficult to wear for hours, though they can smell good for a short period of time. I'd like to try Cafe Noir, but I'll sample it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    If you would like a little wood with your coffee, I suggest you sample Santal Noble MPG.Insanely good fragrance.
    I agree, Santal Noble was my first thought!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Frank No. 2 by Frank Los Angeles has a coffee note in it but it is probably more subtle than what you seem to be looking for. It is, however, long lasting and complex--a great cool/cold weather frag., imo.

There is a Pierre Guillaume / Parfumerie Générale scent which top note is chocolate and roasted coffee. I'm hesitating between Coze and Harmatan Noir, I don't remember.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    I like it. It's like a cafe mocha.

I find a pure coffee fragrance to be too bitter. Rochas Man is pretty good for a sweet fragrance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    I rolled my eyes and did a "whatever" spray on my skin in Saks, and actually found myself liking this. It didn't fall apart for quite a while. I will definitely give it a wear. I'm not very picky about coffee, but I like some variety, so I need to check out the others. New Haarlem and Santal Noble sound interesting. However, I'm cautious about sandalwood after Original Santal.

If you want a little something with your coffee, Neil Morris Café is interesting, but nearly overpowering as a reproduction of a café in Paris. Others have suggested it be used as a room scent, or very, very lightly.

Rochas is too much like cotton candy to me.

A*men Pure Coffee is really damn good. As is New Haarlem.

I don't get any coffee out of Coze 02 but it is very, VERY good and you should try it regardless.

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler smells 'super-duper fresh' at first, but once it dries down, I swear to god it smells just like iced mocha!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5 View Post
    I don't get any coffee out of Coze 02 but it is very, VERY good and you should try it regardless.

PG Coze is a very good fragrance. The coffee is more of a background note that adds depth and complexity to the overall structure of the fragrance.

As for the Jo Malone Black Cafe Vetyver the fragrance itself lasts quite a while, the coffee notes aren't prominent for very long though.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Banned

I can pick a "coffee note" from Santal Noble (MPG) only during the first minutes. Then it evolves into something else. Something beautiful...

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    New Haarlem and Santal Noble sound interesting. However, I'm cautious about sandalwood after Original Santal.
    Please don't let Original Santal stop you from Santal Noble. I love sandalwood and really, REALLY, dislike Original Santal. Well, on me - so maybe we have similar skin chemistry. (I hope so because when I find Mugler's Coffee, I'd like it to be good on me!)
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift;
    that's why they call it the present."

Thumbs up Re: Any Good Coffee Scents?

EAU DES ILES by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier

I'd second both Santal Noble and the deeply uncool but well done Double Black.