Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances and Migraines....Help!

Hey Guys I need some help....

I have over the past 6 mos been overcoming severe migraines.....every day daily, some just a dull ache...some with blurred vision and vomiting....

I went and got checked out by the doctor cause I had a previous history of a cyst on my brain when i was a kid, that has since been gone....doc did catscans and an xray to make sure everything was ok up there...looks like it has nothing to do with my head or brain in terms of cauing the migraines...

My diet has been constant, so thats not it....I had a friend keep warning me that over time the use of cologne or fragrances can cause a buildup of chemicals and toxins that can cause your body to go haywire and cause migraines from this buildup.....

Well After dismissing this....I have notice on the days when I didnt wear anything I didnt get a migraine outburst....any clue to this or how to remedy it..how does a person all of sudden become sensitive to fragrances after continual use? How do I get rid of these toxins and the migraines while still enjoying my frags?

any help or doctos on this topic would be appreciated...

Pugs

Default Re: Fragrances and Migraines....Help!

I am not a doctor or qualified in any other field of medicine. If not wearing fragrances on a particular day stops the migranes that day, it suggests to me a direct reaction from breathing them in (or possibly from having them on your skin) rather than any kind of slow build up. Maybe it is an alergic reaction? I don't know anything about migranes and how they are caused. Maybe if you experiment carefully you can find particular frags which don't cause the reaction (maybe it is particlar ingredients, maybe try some completely natural and some completely synthetic) but at the end of the day if it is affecting your life so much maybe its best just to stop wearing them. I really enjoy fragrance but wouldn't put up with this sort of trouble for them. Good luck with this.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 7th October 2007 at 07:12 AM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

From the Headache Center of Atlanta, Atlanta, GA.
    Address all correspondence to Leslie Kelman, MD, Headache Center of Atlanta, 5671 Peachtree Dunwoody Road, Suite 620, Atlanta, GA 30342.

(Headache 2004;44:1019-1023)
    Abstract

Objectives.—This study assesses osmophobia and taste abnormality for the first time in a large sample of migraine patients.

Methods.—Seven hundred and twenty seven migraineurs were evaluated. Osmophobia, taste abnormality, and perfume or odor trigger were graded from 0 to 3.
    Leslie Kelman MD (2004)

Osmophobia and Taste Abnormality in Migraineurs: A Tertiary Care Study
    Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain 44 (10), 1019–1023.

Results.—In patients with data, 24.7% of 673 patients complained of osmophobia (12.5% occasional, 7% frequent, and 5.2% very frequent) and 24.6% of 505 of taste abnormality (13.5% occasional, 6.1% frequent, and 5.0% very frequent). Perfume or odor trigger of acute migraine occurred in 45.5% of 724 patients (22.7% occasional, 10.2% frequent, and 12.6% very frequent). Perfume or odor trigger was associated with osmophobia in 61.5% and taste abnormality 62.1%. Osmophobia without taste abnormality occurred in 28.3% and taste abnormality without osmophobia in 40.3%. A greater percentage of females than males had osmophobia (25.7 vs. 17.5), taste abnormality (25.4 vs. 17.9), and perfume or odor trigger (49.3 vs. 22.1), all P< .0001.

Conclusions.—Osmophobia and taste abnormality occur in about one quarter of migraineurs during an acute migraine attack while perfume or odor trigger migraine in almost 50% of patients. Osmophobia and taste abnormality in the acute migraine attack, as well as perfumes or odor as a migraine trigger, are more common in females than in males.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

The thing is the migraines havent started since I have been collecting frags, just in the past six monthes this has happened...Btw what is osmophobia?

from wikipedia:
    "Osmophobia or olfactophobia refers to a fear, aversion, or psychological hypersensitivity to smells or odors. The phobia generally occurs in chronic migraine sufferers who may have odor triggered migraines. Such migraines are most frequently triggered by foul odors, but the hypersensitivity may extend to all odors. One study found as many as 25% of migraine sufferers had some degree of osmophobia.

Some migraineurs treat their migraines with some success using pleasant odors, such as mint or lavender."

Not an expert on this, but from the medical database I checked there seems to be a number of studies on odor/perfume and migraine. Perhaps you should ask your doctor about this.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

For me, there are certain triggers, with tonka bean in large amounts being one of them. Too much straight amber can also do it, as can some cocoas. I just have to try each frag out and suffer through the consequences to find which ones do and which ones don't give me headaches. (For me, it's been well worth it, and I've pretty much got it all figured out now.)
    My sales list updated this AM: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200065

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

You should probably avoid department store fragrances for now. That usually solves it. Try some niche brand perfumery (or have you already?). Many niche/artisan houses don't use the irritating synthetic chemicals that are present in most designer brands. Most designer brand fragrances are a chemical soup with very little, if any, natural aromatic material. Not that they don't smell good, but sometimes our bodies go "what the #&*@ is this stuff?" and react... like getting a headache.

Most department store fragrances will give me a headache if I'm around them for too long (not a migraine though, I've never had one). That's one reason why I avoided fragrances for so long... then I got exposed to real French perfumery and realized that niche and artisan fragrances almost never cause problems.

Plus you get the added benefit of smelling unique because almost noone you know will have the same fragrance.

For years I would have migraines and made no connection to my colognes causing them. I now have a nice list of frags that guaranteed to knock me on my ass:

Horizon
    Safari
    CK One
    CK Be
    Kenzo
    Blue Jeans
    Cool Water
    Herrera for Men
    Eternity
    Hollister Jake

Is there one ingredient that these share in common? Maybe I could nail that down and then know what to avoid in the future. Thanks.

I think migraine and overspraying go hand in hand.

I would be interested to read how much you spray...

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley_f5 View Post
    Hey Guys I need some help....

I have over the past 6 mos been overcoming severe migraines.....every day daily, some just a dull ache...some with blurred vision and vomiting....

I went and got checked out by the doctor cause I had a previous history of a cyst on my brain when i was a kid, that has since been gone....doc did catscans and an xray to make sure everything was ok up there...looks like it has nothing to do with my head or brain in terms of cauing the migraines...

My diet has been constant, so thats not it....I had a friend keep warning me that over time the use of cologne or fragrances can cause a buildup of chemicals and toxins that can cause your body to go haywire and cause migraines from this buildup.....

Well After dismissing this....I have notice on the days when I didnt wear anything I didnt get a migraine outburst....any clue to this or how to remedy it..how does a person all of sudden become sensitive to fragrances after continual use? How do I get rid of these toxins and the migraines while still enjoying my frags?

any help or doctos on this topic would be appreciated...

Pugs
    I know several people who have gone through this same thing. Over-exposure to certain chemicals used in fragrances can definitely cause this, but other things can too. The best way to ascertain whether it's from the fragrances is to stop wearing them for a week and see what happens. Try to wear less, as well.

If you feel better after that, then try wearing niche house/natural brand fragrances only for a while. It would be very difficult for fragrances from companies like Santa Maria Novella to cause headaches, but typical frags from department stores can induce them immediately in some people.

One girl I know was told by her doctor to avoid fragrances for a year and a half... which she had to do in order to get over her reaction to them. Bad news for her, because she worked in a fragrance shop. After a year she could start working with fragrances again, but couldn't wear the more synthetic ones on herself without symptoms returning.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 18th November 2007 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    I think migraine and overspraying go hand in hand.

I would be interested to read how much you spray...
    Even a light whiff of the ones I posted seem to start the pain. I also thought that I might be over spraying, but it seems like the cure (for me) is to never spray in the first place.

Issey Bleue is one of the most toxic frags ever created. I noticed it in your collection. I posted a reference to a list of toxic frags awhile ago and will try to find it again. Oakmoss and tonka are known to cause some adverse reactions.

oopps. misspost.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 18th November 2007 at 08:39 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Having people compare Unforgivable to Imperial gives me a migraine.......j/k
    I am fortunate enough that I can smell fragrances for hours and not get a headache, my brother in law gets headaches from fragrances really quickly.....

I don't think i have had migraines from fragrances yet, but then again i never overspray...

You've posted this a while ago i wonder what your condition is now and if there was some kind of diagnosis for what you really had...was it really just the fragrances that trigger the migraines?

In any case, i hope you are feeling better.

cheers