Code of Conduct

Default TdHermes - now what?

Hey guys,

I just started getting into this site. The first cologne I bought was Terre d' Hermes and, although I love the smell (other people do as well) it doesn't seem to last very long on me (I'd say maybe 3 or 4 hours at most).

I was wondering if anyone could recommend another scent in addition to Hermes. I'm looking for a scent that can be worn every day and is pretty long lasting but still pretty popular with people (I'm in college and I'm shamelessly asking for a scent that will get some attention). For the most part, I've liked woody scents (ones I decided against before buying TdH: Allure homme sport, Burberry London and Brit) but I'm not opposed to some other scents (Armani Code Black smelled really good in my opinion).

As you can see, there are a few scents I know of that might work, but I'm still pretty lost. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: TdHermes - now what?

Guerlain Vetiver is great and cheap (scentiments.com). There's A LOT of info in old threads (search function) and reviews.

Another popular one that's easy to like is D&G PH.

A little more risky are Micheal by Michael Kors and Azzaro Visit.

Get Versace the Dreamer =] Enuf said. (sample it first, and wait 15-20 mins b4 u stick ur nose to the card ).

Welcome to Basenotes!

TdH has pretty decent longevity... remember, when you wear a fragrance, your nose gets used to it after a while (called olfactory habituation), so even though you may not be able to detect it, others can.

I think the best thing to do would be to go to all the department stores and try a lot of stuff out. Ask for samples and wear them (the only way you can truly know if you like a fragrance), and if you ever like something that someone's wearing, don't be afraid to ask what it is.

There's a whole bunch of fragrances out there that would fit your description, so we can probably help you out more if you are more specific about what you like. Also, the search button is a wonderful tool to find old threads that may be of interest to you.

Again, welcome to basenotes!

Welcome!

I don't know of any other fragrances that smell similiar.

I have the same problem with a lot of fragrances I like. I get around it by carrying the bottle with me and reapplying. Or, if the bottle is too heavy like with Terre, you can make (or swap or buy from other Basenoters) a small spray decant and carry that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rpopli View Post
    Hey guys,

I just started getting into this site. The first cologne I bought was Terre d' Hermes and, although I love the smell (other people do as well) it doesn't seem to last very long on me (I'd say maybe 3 or 4 hours at most).

I was wondering if anyone could recommend another scent in addition to Hermes. I'm looking for a scent that can be worn every day and is pretty long lasting but still pretty popular with people (I'm in college and I'm shamelessly asking for a scent that will get some attention). For the most part, I've liked woody scents (ones I decided against before buying TdH: Allure homme sport, Burberry London and Brit) but I'm not opposed to some other scents (Armani Code Black smelled really good in my opinion).

As you can see, there are a few scents I know of that might work, but I'm still pretty lost. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Individuel by Mont Blanc
    and
    Arpege Pour Homme might be worth looking into.
    I also agree with Versace the Dreamer. After it settles it is very, very nice!
    Givenchy Blue Label is nice also. Good luck.
    Last edited by Jixjax; 7th October 2007 at 02:14 PM.

A*Men by Thierry Mugler (chocolatey)
    Issey Miyake (any, but the original L'eau d'Issey is awesome)
    Black XS by Paco Rabanne (manly sweetness that WILL get you attention)

Just my 2 cents
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Gucci PH. Long lasting, wood notes last through drydown.

Thinking only of fragrances that last on me without question and have a more modern vibe, not too expensive, a little unusual, and easy to find...

Versace Dreamer for anytime, was my first thought
    Armani Code, for nighttime
    B*Men gourmand earth
    Prada Man just smells good and modern

p.s. I'd love to recommend finding a good buy of Creed's Silver Mountain Water on ebay but its lasting power is questionable. But it's great for a college guy like you. Fresh youthful taste and sophistication all the way.
    Last edited by nthny; 7th October 2007 at 06:13 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Gucci PH. Long lasting, wood notes last through drydown.
    I agree. Gucci Pour Homme by Gucci.

Wow guys, thanks for all of the responses.

I wanted to wait a couple of days before I posted a resonse, so here goes:

I'm going to get one of the three: Gucci Pour Homme, Versace the Dreamer or Burberry Brit.

Hopefully you guys can help me decide.

To give some more information, I'm looking for something somewhat woodsy but fresher than the TdH. I'd like it to be an all-day scent (not overpowering) which lasts for a fairly long amount of time.

I've only tried Burberry Brit and I liked it so I was pretty close to just buying that. However, I'd be willing to rest my laurels on your advice before I make my purchase.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Smile Re: TdHermes - now what?

I've only tried Burberry Brit and I liked it so I was pretty close to just buying that. However, I'd be willing to rest my laurels on your advice before I make my purchase.
    Please test Brit to make sure it lasts long on your skin. On my skin both TdH and Burberry Brit lasts max 2-3 hours and they are both amazing every day wear fragrance. Only thing is their longevity suxx on me and I only wish they lasts longer. But I would second Gucci pH. Its a great woody scent and lasts almost all day on my skin.

Anything from Chanel or YSL lasts long and stands out. Egoiste, M7, Rive Gauche and others.

Personally have the same problem with the longevity of Terre dH, I consider it as one of the best fragrances made in recent years.
    The best way for you is testing as much as you can. People's tastes are too different and following any particular recommendation could result in disappoinment. Generally I can say Armani Code and Terre dH are both great fragrances.
    Also let me add M7 by Yves Saint Lauren and Gucci Pour Homme to your list! Both of them are among those great ones.
    Last edited by msi_21; 19th October 2007 at 08:09 PM.

I have a sample of Dreamer but have not tried it yet - so I can't comment on that one. I have both Gucci pour Homme and Burberry Brit . While they are in the same fragrance family, they are not similar in feel and smell. I consider both of them excellent and they last all day on me. I wear them both during the day and at night, but I am too many years past school to recommend one over the other to you. You have tried Brit and it is a good one - take the time to try GpH also.

Some others in the Woody Oriental - Classical family are:
    (the four I have tried are denoted with *)

Chanel - Egoiste *
    Calvin Klein - Obsession Night for Men
    Givenchy - Pi
    Jack Black Signature - Silver Mark *
    Tiffany for Men *
    Versace L'Homme (1984)
    Stetson - Stetson
    Baldessarini - Baldessarini
    Creed - Baie de Genievre
    Cristian Dior - Bois d'Argent
    Royal Copenhagen - Royal Copenhagen
    The Art of Shaving - Sandalwood *
    Davidoff - Silver Shadow
    Floris - Santal
    Salvador Dali - Black Sun
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

gucci envy.

woody and sexy all in one.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post

Some others in the Woody Oriental - Classical family are:
    (the four I have tried are denoted with *)

Chanel - Egoiste *
    Jack Black Signature - Silver Mark *
    Tiffany for Men *
    The Art of Shaving - Sandalwood *
    What's your idea about these ones?

To give some more information, I'm looking for something somewhat woodsy but fresher than the TdH. I'd like it to be an all-day scent (not overpowering) which lasts for a fairly long amount of time.

Mate...look no further.....

Grab a bottle of Jaipur Homme Fraicheur 2006 edition and it has everything that you seek. My tester bottle says 'Woody oriental' on it and it is a fresh take on Jaipur Homme minus the sweetness.

Its just blown me away...I'd be under its spell....atleast for the next few days....

gupts