Code of Conduct

Default Will I ever make it through a full bottle?

Or sample or decant for that matter. I only have six bottles in my collections but various decants and samples as well. I never have managed to finished a bottle or anything. I think I buy more frags faster than the rate I consume them. With every scent I will do 3 sprays tops. I ask, I am the only one who has a collection every bottls, decant and sample they have it prett much full?

Default Re: Will I ever make it through a full bottle?

I wish I could say the same thing. I've been rationing my Chergui decant and nursing my bottle of Tenaz for months now.
    Eventually, I need to engage in a little fragrance euthanasia and just let them go peacefully into that good night.

The frags that bug me are the ones that I like, but which don't inspire me. THOSE are the ones that I'm selling and/or giving away, as my partner is sick to death of bottles, bottles everywhere. I need to learn to keep only those frags that move me beyond words.

I'm also getting rid of duplicates I have (1881, Escada pour Homme, Pour un Homme etc.): http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200065
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 7th October 2007 at 03:19 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Wink Re: Will I ever make it through a full bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by ToadKings View Post
    Or sample or decant for that matter. I only have six bottles in my collections but various decants and samples as well. I never have managed to finished a bottle or anything. I think I buy more frags faster than the rate I consume them. With every scent I will do 3 sprays tops. I ask, I am the only one who has a collection every bottls, decant and sample they have it prett much full?
    Nope, you are not the only one. I have 6 dozen plus and most of them I have only worn once...
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

I apply very little frag. I'm just getting to the end of my daily work frag, Polo Black, and I bought the small bottle, the day it came out, two years ago. Since becoming a BN'er though, I'm starting to apply a tad more.

I have 20+ bottles and none of them are below half full. I have finished bottles before but it took me years and a smaller collection. It takes a loooooong time...

I don't think it's too hard. If you can commit yourself to one frag, it will be gone in 2 months. I was in Europe last month and the only thing I brought was Kouros, full bottle, came back with 30%.

That's not inlcuding ones you've retired; I've had 3-4 bottles disappear when I resigned them to room sprays.

It's also important to make sure you only buy the ones you know you'll use regularly in the higher volumes. I wish everything was available in 30 ml bottles at a proportional cost of the bigger bottles, but unfortunately the smaller bottles are usually disproportionately overpriced...

I find that I use up the scents I love, but if I'm so,so about something, then it will last forever!

Stewart's right, but be careful about very strong frags in large quantities.
    For example, someone gave us an 8 oz. bottle of Lagerfeld Classic last year.
    Shy of bathing in it or baptizing babies in it, we'll never use it all up!
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 7th October 2007 at 06:35 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

It takes me 5 or more years to finish some bottles. At the same time, few most used ones last me just 6-12 months.

Since joining b-notes, i've finished:

1.7 bottles of Bogart PH, M7, Kouros, Equipage, The Dreamer (almost gone)
    1.0 of Yatagan and Rocabar

And the only large bottle i've ever finished...a 3.4 of Bel Ami.
    Last edited by knightowl; 7th October 2007 at 06:55 PM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I feel you on this one. I don't have a very large collection, but I am trying to use up a few bottles before I purchase any more. (It's not really working...) The problem is, I only use about three to four sprays in application, so my bottles are lasting forever, even the 1.0 ouncers.

I think for now on, I will only purchase the 2.5 oz and below. By the time I am half way done with a bottle, I am pretty tired of it. (there are some very notable exceptions, though)

As a collector of primarily discontinued Guerlains (or limited editions) I always feel tempted to buy whenever I see a moderately priced rarity. That usually means that I end up buying in a higher speed than I am using. I have this totally insane and irrational fear that some day soon it will be totally impossible to get pre-reformulated editions of Vetiver, Habit Rouge, Shalimar, Mitsouko etc so I'm easy to get into a stocking up purchase. But I really use a LOT of perfume and it gives me enormous pleasure so I generally think I can justify it...

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS View Post
    I have 20+ bottles and none of them are below half full. I have finished bottles before but it took me years and a smaller collection. It takes a loooooong time...

Same here. Just be sure that you're going to be in this hobby for the long run .

I have heard that frags usually have a shelf life of 3-5 years. Chances are I will not finish them before they are expired!

I have heard that frags usually have a shelf life of 3-5 years. Chances are I will not finish them before they are expired!
    That's it! I'm moving the collection back into the fridge!

Since I joined basenotes, the only ones I finished were Lacoste Original (a 30ml bottle), Tuscany per uomo (50ml bottle) and YSL pour homme (50ml bottle), although I got 50+ bottles...

I finish a bottle of D&G ph every 4 months.. I have a bottle of Boss Sport that i bought in 1988 which is still half full (Still smells as it should though!)

I have heard that frags usually have a shelf life of 3-5 years.
    I keep my bottles hidden from light. I have bought bottles of EdT that are 20 years old, still smelling like made yesterday. So I'm not too concerned about that.

I went through one 100ml bottle of Egoiste Platinum each year for five years during my pre-basenotes life. At that time I owned maybe six different scents and used them all regularly. I now own around 35 full or partial bottles, and a number of decants.

Needless to say, the 100ml of Platinum I received as a Christmas gift last year is still quite full!
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

Basenotes Institution

Since joining Basenotes I have not been made it through a full bottle at all. I totally relate.

Banned

The only way to get rid of a whole bottle (within reasonable time) is to isolate your usage only to that one perfume. Very hard as being a basenoter you have the urge to go out and test many new fragrances others are raving about! [read: if your a basenotes member, you won't finish a bottle!]

I've yet to go through a whole bottle, but I'm narrowing my collection down to 4-5 main fragrances. Once that happens, we'll see.

The only bottle I've ever finished was CDG Rhubarb...only because its only a 30ml bottle. I usually just give bottles away when I lose interest...I can barely finish samples!

I have almost made it through a 1.7oz bottle of Dior Homme. That is also after a lot of night spritzing before bed. I already have a 3.3oz bottle on reserve ready to go. It takes a long time to go though one when there are so many good choices.
    Last edited by Raist679; 8th October 2007 at 11:01 PM.

I've been through 50ml bottles of Body Kouros and Envy, so far. To be honest, it reached a point where I couldn't stand them any longer - I was spraying in abundance just to finish them off quicker. On a daily basis, it still took bloody ages...

I never buy smaller bottles. Thats because i can never convince myself to pay around 1.5times more per ml of juice.

I know i wouldnt be able to use any of my bottles entirely. Infact none of my bottles misses more than 2-3 ml.

It can only work out if discretion is observed when making purchases. Living on basenotes makes that difficult though not immpossible as i see a few active members here surviving on 5-6 bottles.

I'd be there soon....not to around 5 bottles in my wardrobe...but 50 sounds good....

gupts

I cant even finish my D&G sample (1.5ml) coz i hated it ! ha ha.

Long before I finished Cool Water, Escape, Fahrenheit, and TBS White Musk, but now, from now on, I don't think I'd finish a bottle of these scents I have. Moreover, I always buy large size.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

this is a fascinating thread. I've felt that I had an ocean of stuff and would never finish a bottle and now I'm polishing off favorites like Terre DHermes. I'm really low on Envy and it looks like I need to go through the cushions again for another bottle of Antaeus. Meanwhile my wife has been hoarding a few drops of Malle's Carnal Flower which I swear she opens and takes a sniff when no one is looking.

What I hate is finishing a particularly fantastic Lutens non-export sample. Do I get a large decant? Wheedle around till I find a jar? or use all that cash for a load of vintages finer than any wines from my favorite decanters.

Oh yea

liquid finds it's own level.

I originally found basenotes because I had just finished by Armani Prive Bois d'Encens and was looking for a dupe. I simply adored it, but I just didn't really have the budget for another bottle. Before that, when I had a signature scent (Allure Pour Homme), I went through a few bottles, but I was exclusive back then. Now that my fragrance budget has ballooned, I would have saved a fortune if I had only bought that Armani! I haven't really put a dent in anything since ... maybe my Dzing, but selling decants really helps. I'm hopelessly addicted, God help me! But thank heavens, I'm not alone.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Blog Entries

I have a pretty modest rotation. I buy the 100ml bottles of the frags that I use most often in that rotation. I had already gone through a few 50ml of some of the frags before I splurged on the big bottles! I have pretty new 100ml bottles of M7 & Lolita Lempicka au masculin. I imagine those will last me a VERY long time, due to the small amount of juice I use for each application. I bet I'll go through my 100ml bottles of CK be, Clinique Happy, & Kenneth Cole Reaction in half that time .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Two or so more uses and I'll have finished a 50ml bottle of Essenza di Zegna, which I began working on in my pre-BN era, five years ago. Post-BN, of 50+ 10ml decants, I have only finished those of Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire, Creed's Neroli Sauvage (because the bugger leaked everywhere while on a trip), and MPG Santal Noble. I have not finished any of the 75+ full bottles that I have obtained post-BN; they all remain above 90%.
    Last edited by wicozani; 9th October 2007 at 09:13 PM.