Code of Conduct

Default Has This Ever Happened to You?

I have a sizable collection of frags which I call "pick-me-ups." For example: Chergui, Catalyst, That Man, Mûre et Musc Extrême, Happy for Men, Nemo, Eau Sauvage, Gaultier² etc. If I'm not going to wear one of those many frags in my collection, then I'll wear a formal frag for business or a "moose on the loose" frag for sheer carnality.

Recently I acquired a bottle of Méchant Loup. I love its notes and the fact that it wears so close to my skin. (I don't always have to have major sillage going on.) I can certainly see why others rave about ML -- it's a very intimate fragrance, IMHO. (Not romantic, necessarily, but intimate.)

All that aside, it triggers sadness in me. I don't know why, as it's supposed to be warm and rich -- all nuts and leaves and honey. Still, for some odd reason -- and I can't put my finger on this -- it just makes me want to go on a long autumn cry.

Maybe I just think of ML as an autumnal frag and I always get a little "down" come autumn every year. Perhaps it reminds me of my best friend. (He committed suicide in January.) Maybe it just triggers something deep in the primal part of my brain, or dredges up a sad childhood memory. Again, I don't know why, but it never fails to make me melancholy and pensive.

Whatever the case, it's up on the chopping block now. I love its notes so much (and that's saying a lot, given that I am not usually a huge fan of the gourmand variety). I just don't want to deal with the melancholia it induces in me.

Has a fragrance -- any fragrance -- ever affected you this inexplicable way?

MY CURRENT SALE THREAD: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200065
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 8th October 2007 at 12:48 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: Has This Ever Happened to You?

Hate to say it... But I despise Curve. My father wore it when I was a little younger than I am now. Even now I smell it and it enrages me. It brings back a flood of memories.. Then I've never been very receptive to fruity colognes or perfumes because my mother wore them when I was a baby till now. SO everytime I smell anything fruity mixed with a floural note a perfect example would be DKNY Be Delicious... it reminds me of my mommy : )...
    I'm so fo sho' it's no facade/ Stay out of trouble momma said as momma sighed/ For her fear her youngest son be a victim of homicide/ But I gotta get you out of here momma.. Or I'm gonna die..Inside...So either eay you lose me momma/ So let loose of me!

Damn, you must be YOUNG! My father wore Aramis and my mother Youth Dew.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Others don't determine the way you feel. How you feel is based entirely upon what you've conjured in thought, and no one can guide your thoughts but you. I generally make any fragrance that I like into my own, regardless of any initial associations. Same goes for everything else in life.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Damn, you must be YOUNG! My father wore Aramis and my mother Youth Dew.

Im 17 lol...
    I'm so fo sho' it's no facade/ Stay out of trouble momma said as momma sighed/ For her fear her youngest son be a victim of homicide/ But I gotta get you out of here momma.. Or I'm gonna die..Inside...So either eay you lose me momma/ So let loose of me!

My dad wore Old Spice...

Basenotes Institution

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan makes me sad. I wear it on rainy days and love its instant rush of melancholia.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan makes me sad. I wear it on rainy days and love its instant rush of melancholia.
    I had the very same feeling when tried the sample. Very clever perfume.

Off-Scenter

En Passant always seems to put me in a nostalgic, almost broken-hearted mood. This is not a bad thing at all, and a testament to the remarkable evocative power of scent.

Nicolai Pour Homme makes me a little pensive for some reason. I really like the fragrance, but I definitely notice a mood shift. Eau du Sud does it sometimes as well, even though I can't recall any bad memory associations with them.

The new Givenchy Pour Homme. Maroon topped bottle, came out about 4 or 5 years ago. I was watching a sad sci-fi movie about a time machine with my family (had that skinny guy in it, can't think of his name, recent film may have been "The Time Machine").

Anyway, I got really melancholy after watching, my uncle had recently died, my family and I ended up in tears. Now that scent brings sadness.

Not the scent itself, but that I was wearing it during that episode. Can't wear it now.

Voleur de Roses makes me sad too! But only because it didn't last on me, and I traded it away to mikeperez.

Can't think of anything else that makes me sad... perhaps Aqua di Gio.
    - Rich

EDIT - Chinatown by Bond No. 9. My first love wore this from a decant I gave her. She'd wear it to bed, so it was the first and last things I smelled waking up to her. We aren't dating anymore because of circumstances outside of our control.
    Last edited by _R$_; 9th October 2007 at 05:28 PM.
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

I think this may be close to the core of why we collect the way we do. Mind you, I can on occasion take a perverse enjoyment in a good wallow in melancholia, but I would by all means save a decant of this. It’s hitting something so deep and personal, that you might want to save the olfactory key. And I find Mechant Loup to be playful, just bordering on an innocent naughtiness. The legendary Djedi seemed to have amazing emotional powers when it journeyed through the women’s board last spring. Sounded like Rachmaninoff in a bottle, and I must try it someday. That said, if autumn all by itself gives you the blues, break out the sunshine in a bottle stuff for now.