Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Weird Discoveries

So I was looking up the notes in Creed Chèvrefeuille Original, and I found the Creed website (as usual) very sketchy on the components of the scent. Osmoz doesn't list it; they have only about a half-dozen or so Creeds. I tried Scent Direct's database; again, no listing.

So out of desperation, I went to www.parfyym.pri.ee, an Estonian website which has a very complete listing -- the only drawback (for me, at least) is that it's completely in Estonian. Estonian is a perfectly delightful language, related to Finnish, and along with Hungarian and Basque, one of the few European languages not of the Indo-European family.

I am not one to be daunted by mere linguistic difficulties. I had consulted the site before, and I had learned some Estonian that beginners don't usually learn: the names of perfume materials.

I found
    Creed Chèvrefeuille Original, and saw that it had listed for the top notes "lavendel, münt," and for the middle note, "kuslapuu." There were no base notes listed. Now, the top notes are easy: lavender and mint. (These I could easily guess from other European languages.) But "kuslapuu" was a bit of a challenge. I recognized the "-puu" suffix from "sandlipuu" (sandalwood) and others as the element meaning wood or tree. So I went to an online Estonian-English dictionary, but couldn't find "kuslapuu." I did, however, find "kusla," which, naturally enough, means honeysuckle ("chèvrefeuille" in French). So...

It's not honeysuckle, it's honeysuckle wood. Then I went to Wikipedia and looked up honeysuckle. That article, among other things, told me that sticks of honeysuckle wood are "
    are sold as cat toys. The wood contains nepetalactone, which is the active ingredient found in catnip. Many breeds of cats react to the scent of the wood and will paw, lick or rub against it." So that's why this Creed smells more green than flowery! It does have "herbal notes," and one of them is catnip. Catnip, by the way, is said to resemble mint, another ingredient in the EdT. I also learned that it's ten times more effective than DEET as a mosquito repellent.

So now I know the mystery of Creed Chèvrefeuille Original's green accord. Query resolved.

The things you can learn if you're willing to put your research skills to use looking for trivia!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 11th October 2007 at 02:19 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Default Re: Weird Discoveries

good job!
    I love Chevrefeuille and wear it often and I'm always slightly puzzled by the honeysuckle connection whenever I read it here. I also love the smell of honeysuckle flowers and never really think of it having anything to do with this Creed.
    Indeed a mystery solved.

That's really interesting. I'm 1/3 Lithuanian (not really related to Estonian linguistically, but they're both Baltic nations). I've heard there's some very good fragrances in Lithuania that are rarely sold outside the country. Good reason to go visit.

Man...great work. And a very interesting summary of your research process. Thanks for that.

That was really great. Thanks!

parfyym is one of my fave references for notes. www.cale.it is also very good for Creeds, note that they lack the mention of lavender and mint, but list amber in the basenotes.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

My hats off to anyone who will delve into finno-ugric scholarship to decode a perfume.Interesting group of languages and a myth structure entirely unlike the Indo-European canon.

I too am quite fond of CO. Thanks for clearing up this apparently obvious conundrum.

Great detective work JB.

I wonder what Bayrhum Vetiver by Creed smells like? Sounds interesting enough ... alcohol and vetiver ??
    -

Basenotes Institution

OK. So, does this mean you've got to be careful spraying CO around cats? Ack!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    OK. So, does this mean you've got to be careful spraying CO around cats? Ack!
    No cats at my place, so no worries
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Geez, you were a man a mission!! Always satisfying to go on little mental quests like that.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."