Code of Conduct

Default Iris Bleu Gris: What to Expect?

Jardin du Nil freaked me out so much (that floral EXPLOSION on my skin!) and Baïme's "salad dressing with basil" effect threw me off so much that now I'm kinda gun shy about Gantier frags. (RdV is the only one I've kept in my permanent collection, and I really have to be in one of my "dirty vetiver moods" to put it on.)

Still, I love the iris notes I've smelled in several Malles, and the iris notes are very good in Versace's Dreamer, IMHO.
    Before I drop $90 on a bottle, though, can anyone tell me what to expect?
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 8th October 2007 at 09:20 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: Iris Bleu Gris: What to Expect?

I found it very "perfumy" and powdery. Its nice, but nothing I would ever wear. I received a bottle as a gift and passed it on to a female friend. One of the facets that I like about iris is the soft, dry aspect to it...Iris Bleu Gris didn't contain those qualities in my opinion.

I found it decidedly too masculine on me and very tasty and cool on my husband (he kindly puts up with a fair bit of testing for me)- but it seemed to need a fairly heavy hand and I didn't find it very long lasting. Nice chilly iris note.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Jardin du Nil freaked me out so much (that floral EXPLOSION on my skin!) and Baïme's "salad dressing with basil" effect threw me off so much that now I'm kinda gun shy about Gantier frags. (RdV is the only one I've kept in my permanent collection, and I really have to be in one of my "dirty vetiver moods" to put it on.)

Still, I love the iris notes I've smelled in several Malles, and the iris notes are very good in Versace's Dreamer, IMHO.
    Before I drop $90 on a bottle, though, can anyone tell me what to expect?
    I 'm not sure I understand the connection between Un Jardin sur le Nil and Iris Bleu Gris?

anyways I hate them both, UJSLN has nothing egyptian at all, it 's one of JC Ellena 's transparent cold minimalist citrucy refreshing water that turns into cheap lemonade with zero complexity on the skin by a hot humid summer day. IBG is a nice iris scent but Iris Silver Mist is far superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Débauches Olfactives View Post
    I 'm not sure I understand the connection between Un Jardin sur le Nil and Iris Bleu Gris?

anyways I hate them both, UJSLN has nothing egyptian at all, it 's one of JC Ellena 's transparent cold minimalist citrucy refreshing water that turns into cheap lemonade with zero complexity on the skin by a hot humid summer day. IBG is a nice iris scent but Iris Silver Mist is far superior.
    He was speaking of Jardin de Nil...not Un Jardin Sur Le Nil

Not sure why they have to make all these names so similar.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    He was speaking of Jardin de Nil...not Un Jardin Sur Le Nil

Not sure why they have to make all these names so similar.
    so sorry! I never heard of Jardin de Nil, who makes that and yes what a lack of creativity with these cheesy "exotic" names.

Quote Originally Posted by Débauches Olfactives View Post
    so sorry! I never heard of Jardin de Nil, who makes that and yes what a lack of creativity with these cheesy "exotic" names.
    Jardin de Nil is another one of Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's fragrances created by Jean Laporte. Similar name, but VERY different smell. I think most of Laporte's earlier creations for MPG have a similar, sharpness to them (that's the only way I can think of putting it)...very different from what he did for L'Artisan Parfumeur.

Jardin du Nil is made by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. It's a very heavy exotic floral, and it didn't work on my skin very well.
    I liked it out the bottle -- very much, in fact. (Just not on ME.)

It bears no resemblance to the Hermès creation of a similar name, though.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 8th October 2007 at 10:43 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Jardin du Nil is made by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. It's a very heavy exotic floral, and it didn't work on my skin very well.
    I liked it out the bottle -- very much, in fact. (Just not on ME.)

It bears no resemblance to the Hermès creation of a similar name, though.
    I think a sample of IBG is definitely worth ordering before spending the cash on a full bottle.

Cool -- will do that. I've burned myself on too many blind buys in the last year (hence, along with duplicates and swaps, the long sales thread I have going, and the large swap list), but I guess that's one of the ways in which we learn when we're not near all the great frag shops. I'm a hypocrite to imply that I'm out of blind buying altogether, though, as I just bought Montale's Orient Extreme blind today. (Bad boy, BAD!)

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Cool -- will do that. I've burned myself on too many blind buys in the last year (hence, along with duplicates and swaps, the long sales thread I have going, and the large swap list), but I guess that's one of the ways in which we learn when we're not near all the great frag shops. I'm a hypocrite to imply that I'm out of blind buying altogether, though, as I just bought Montale's Orient Extreme blind today. (Bad boy, BAD!)
    Here's my theory - I have to REALLY like the bottle to buy it blind...at least then if I don't like the juice, the container will make me feel better!

Pretty weak, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Here's my theory - I have to REALLY like the bottle to buy it blind...at least then if I don't like the juice, the container will make me feel better!

Pretty weak, huh?
    Worked for me years ago with Salvador Dali pour Homme, so nah, I wouldn't say that that's weak. Me likie pretty bottles.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Worked for me years ago with Salvador Dali pour Homme, so nah, I wouldn't say that that's weak. Me likie pretty bottles.
    Ha...I just ordered Sarrasins blind...eek!

Off-Scenter

Iris Bleu Gris is one of those fragrances I had to come around to slowly. The first few times out I found it harsh, bitter, and opressive. Now I love it. In fact, I'm wearing it at this moment. Here's my current take on it:

The opening is harsh and bitter, and it may take some effort to get past it. Wait at least ten minutes, then sniff again. The nutty, earthy iris note is magnificent in its purity, and it floats serenely over a beautifully constructed base of moss, dry leather, and vetiver. It's somehow profound without being heavy, and it puts me in a meditative mood. The mossy drydown is glorious. As far as I'm concerned it rightfully stands alongside Iris Poudre and Iris Silver Mist at the pinnacle of iris scents. It's also much more wearable for men than either of the others.

Sample first - it's not for everyone. Once you've sampled, sample again. It can be hard to get a handle on Iris Bleu Gris.

BTW, it bears no resemblance whatsoever to Jardin du Nil.

Sounds fascinating -- I'd far rather deal with bitter opening notes (e.g., Yatagan) than cloyingly sweet ones (e.g., the urinal cake opening of Habit Rouge).

By the way, just added Guerlain's Héritage to my sales thread.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I like this one it's masculine to my nose but in a way like no other perfume i've smelled before, it's floral yet it's so oily for want of a better word that i can't see many women pulling this off .I used this for what i think a dandy would wear in a previous post and i stand by that choice.
    To sum it up it deserves to be up there with the best of the iris fragrances but smells nothing like all the other top variations of the note by these i include sl ism,hermes hiris ,devine l'homme du coure and the different company bois d'iris from your previous postings i think you will like this it's a floral but a very masculine floral.